Disney’s Artemis Fowl Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Heading straight to Disney+)

Disney’s “Artemis Fowl,” based on the beloved book by Eoin Colfer, is a fantastical, spellbinding adventure that follows the journey of 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl, a descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds, as he seeks to find his father who has mysteriously disappeared. With the help of his loyal protector Butler, Artemis sets out to find him, and in doing so uncovers an ancient, underground civilization—the amazingly advanced world of fairies. Deducing that his father’s disappearance is somehow connected to the secretive, reclusive fairy world, cunning Artemis concocts a dangerous plan—so dangerous that he ultimately finds himself in a perilous war of wits with the all-powerful fairies.

“Artemis Fowl” is directed by Kenneth Branagh and stars Ferdia Shaw, Lara McDonnell, Josh Gad, Tamara Smart, Nonso Anozie, Josh McGuire, Nikesh Patel, Adrian Scarborough and Miranda Raison, with Colin Farrell and Judi Dench. Kenneth Branagh, p.g.a. and Judy Hofflund, p.g.a. are producing with Angus More Gordon and Matthew Jenkins serving as executive producers. Conor McPherson and Hamish McColl wrote the screenplay.

Disney’s “Artemis Fowl” opens in U.S. theaters on May 29, 2020.

The book series was definitely riding on that Harry Potter YA fantasy wave that was happening at the time. I read the first one and thought it was okay at the time. I know they were trying to make a movie adaptation for years but I don’t know if it’s relevant enough now for anyone to care.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ghost_MH said:

And this is now going straight to Disney+. No release date yet. That said, I'm a little surprised it isn't even going for $20 rental for a couple of weeks first.

It’s tracking was really bad from what I recall. Probably not worth throwing up a PVOD, while a potential big splash on D+ could save the IP as potential series. 

I think the studios are gonna dump more of this marginal product onto their streaming services while holding back their more surefire hits for when theaters are back in force.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s tracking was really bad from what I recall. Probably not worth throwing up a PVOD, while a potential big splash on D+ could save the IP as potential series. 

I think the studios are gonna dump more of this marginal product onto their streaming services while holding back their more surefire hits for when theaters are back in force.

I wonder how long they will hold out for. If we aren't going to theaters by the end of the year will the movies that were moved to that time frame be moved again? At some point investors will want some return on their money, even if they take a loss, a little bit is better than nada

• 2 months later...