What are you playing today?

Back into Red Dead 2 after finally having the patience to do gambler 9. Finished the 4th hunting request for the squirrel statue, but apparently I can't do the last one until the epilogue. I already have two of the hides I need which apparently I'll end up losing beforehand. Wonderful. Anyway 1 more hunting request, 12 challenges, and then all the exotic requests and I'll have all the annoying stuff out of the way. 

• Hype 1

Finally fired up Fallout 4. It's very good and feels like a true Bethesda game. I'm 2 hours in and can easily say it's better than Starfield. Big reason is you are in a big open world with very little loading. VATS are great, too. Visually is looks good modded but for some reason they decided to have the backgrounds blurred out which was stupid. It wasn't like that in Skyrim...

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Finally fired up Fallout 4. It's very good and feels like a true Bethesda game. I'm 2 hours in and can easily say it's better than Starfield. Big reason is you are in a big open world with very little loading. VATS are great, too. Visually is looks good modded but for some reason they decided to have the backgrounds blurred out which was stupid. It wasn't like that in Skyrim...

Everything is better than Starfield I'd say, fallout 4 was definitely solid. 

• True 1

55 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Playing it on Deck? Turn the depth of field off.

I was weighing up which of my Switch RPGs to dip back into. My choices were:

Dark Souls - need to restart, too tied in general to replay the 15 hours I’ve put it

Witcher 3 - needed to get more t board a ship 

Persona 4 - I’ve finished a dungeon, vague idea about what I should do

Pokémon Violet - just collected the first badge

I've opted for Pokémon as I wanted a much more relaxed experience and after 15 minutes, I’ve relearned the controls etc and at the second gym badge. We’ll see if there’s a drop off again…

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just checked. There is no depth if field option?

Ah. Looks like you have to edit the ini file to turn it off (quality Bethesda product)

I'm not sure where it would put this on the deck but on windows it defaults to: C:\Users"User Name"\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 > "Fallout4Prefs.ini"

If you manage to find this file open it and change these settings:

bDoDepthOfField=0

bScreenSpaceBokeh=0

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah. Looks like you have to edit the ini file to turn it off (quality Bethesda product)

I'm not sure where it would put this on the deck but on windows it defaults to: C:\Users"User Name"\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 > "Fallout4Prefs.ini"

If you manage to find this file open it and change these settings:

bDoDepthOfField=0

bScreenSpaceBokeh=0

Thank you but I googled it and itvwas an "enb" mod I had on. I turned that off and bam, backgrounds look great!

Fallout 4 is so superior to Starfield. I have no idea what Bethesda was thinking with Starfield. Even the combat in Fallout 4 is better. It's like Skyrim but in the Fallout universe which is perfect! There is a sense of discovery etc. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Fallout 4 is so superior to Starfield. I have no idea what Bethesda was thinking with Starfield. Even the combat in Fallout 4 is better. It's like Skyrim but in the Fallout universe which is perfect! There is a sense of discovery etc. 

I bought my 4090 for starfield and what a garbage game. Absolutely terrible and I love Bethesda games jank included but I was so underwhelmed with that game I still can't quite believe it 

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

I’m waiting for that next gen update to give Fallout 4 another run. Will play some Witcher 3 later on today.

• Halal 1

There’s definitely things that FO4 does better than Starfield (discovery, exploration, etc - Starfield is somewhere in between FO and Mass Effect) but I really don’t see how anyone can think that combat is one of them with any objectivity :P

• True 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

There’s definitely things that FO4 does better than Starfield (discovery, exploration, etc - Starfield is somewhere in between FO and Mass Effect) but I really don’t see how anyone can think that combat is one of them with any objectivity :P

Yea I'll give starfield it's combat, guns felt decent. But man the rest of that game is a slog.

• True 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well VATS instantly puts the combat above Starfield. It's a complete blast mixing regular combat with VATS.

The dialogue and voice acting are better than Starfield, too. 

Starfield could’ve been something special. They really dropped the ball. 

I liked Starfield a lot but it’s definitely at best good not great as a game once you look at it past the facade and realize it’s quite a linear game. I was able to accept it as that and enjoy what was there though and still like it better than their other games besides NV. But it’s not FO in space either way. 

What they should do towards their redemption path (if NMS could do it..) is make an expansion that is just one new huge planet that’s the size of the FO4 world of explorable area.

• True 2

It sucks because I love to just hunker into a Bethesda game but this to me if I was to pinpoint feels like a stop gap game to buy some time before elder scrolls 6. It doesn't have the Bethesda charm or touch, like a completely watered down fallout in space. 

I personally find Outer Worlds to be the better space adventure, by a large margin tbh... Love Outer worlds 

Wait, Starfield is "garbage" now? :lol: Okay... I didn't dig Outer Worlds at all... felt like a watered down Fallout game to me. I don't know how deep folks got into Starfield... my first playthrough I focused on the main quest and ingnored everything else. After my second playthrough, I did some of the other quests and some of them are main quest worthy by themselves. Like other Bethesda games it will always be a game I go back to because these games tend to have a lot of stuff in them if you dig really deeply. I also really enjoyed the space combat which is quite good once you get the hang of it. It even has it's own for of VATS if that's your thing. Anywho, I can see being underwhelmed by it considering the hype around it but "garbage"? No. I wouldn't even say Alan Wake 2 is "Garbage" and I didn't enjoy that at all really. 

Anywho... just finsihed COD Modern Warfare, the first of the new trilogy. I Bought these onsale over the Holiday because I was looking for something a little shorter and more linear than all of the huge openworld games and Souls likes I had been playing. These games are mindless fun... Michael Bay movies in video game form. Gonna put some more time into Sucide Squad before I dive into the second game in this trilogy. I heard the third game's campaign is underwhelming?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, Starfield is "garbage" now? :lol: Okay... I didn't dig Outer Worlds at all... felt like a watered down Fallout game to me. I don't know how deep folks got into Starfield... my first playthrough I focused on the main quest and ingnored everything else. After my second playthrough, I did some of the other quests and some of them are main quest worthy by themselves. Like other Bethesda games it will always be a game I go back to because these games tend to have a lot of stuff in them if you dig really deeply. I also really enjoyed the space combat which is quite good once you get the hang of it. It even has it's own for of VATS if that's your thing. Anywho, I can see being underwhelmed by it considering the hype around it but "garbage"? No. I wouldn't even say Alan Wake 2 is "Garbage" and I didn't enjoy that at all really. 

Anywho... just finsihed COD Modern Warfare, the first of the new trilogy. I Bought these onsale over the Holiday because I was looking for something a little shorter and more linear than all of the huge openworld games and Souls likes I had been playing. These games are mindless fun... Michael Bay movies in video game form. Gonna put some more time into Sucide Squad before I dive into the second game in this trilogy. I heard the third game's campaign is underwhelming?

Having recently played through MW1 (also got it on the sale) and having played MW2 when it came out, I’d say MW1 was a little better. MW2 is longer but too much of that feels like you are doing overhead point at the target to strike type missions instead of fun stuff. I think it’s still a lot of fun for the same reasons you said you enjoy these.

MW3 was supposed to be dlc not the actual new entry in IW’s rebooted MW series. It’s like 3 hours long and apparently not great. I’ll play that one when it hits gamepass. The real new IW game should be 2026.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

Having recently played through MW1 (also got it on the sale) and having played MW2 when it came out, I’d say MW1 was a little better. MW2 is longer but too much of that feels like you are doing overhead point at the target to strike type missions instead of fun stuff. I think it’s still a lot of fun for the same reasons you said you enjoy these.

MW3 was supposed to be dlc not the actual new entry in IW’s rebooted MW series. It’s like 3 hours long and apparently not great. I’ll play that one when it hits gamepass. The real new IW game should be 2026.

I haven't played any GOD games since the original Modern Warfare trilogy so I'll be catching up on a lot of these games once they hit gamepass. Always enjoyed the campaigns.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I haven't played any GOD games since the original Modern Warfare trilogy so I'll be catching up on a lot of these games once they hit gamepass. Always enjoyed the campaigns.

Yeah and damn they are some great looking and running games as well! Vanguard looks real good too.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, Starfield is "garbage" now? :lol:

Yes. I never played FO4 and it's VASTLY superior only 4 hours in. Everything about is better than Starfield. You can laugh all you want. I originally said Starfield was at best a 7/10 game when I was actively playing it. 

I dunno I thought Starfield was fun. I spent like 30 hours in the game, built a base, explored the galaxy to get resources, explored various planets. 10/10 everyone else was playing it wrong.

Combat is way better than Fallout too. VATS is a cool holdover from the original games but the only purpose it serves in the newer games is because the combat sucks ass. Fallout 1 and 2 are the real Fallouts.

I enjoyed the 3D Fallouts at the time they came out and put dozens of hours into 3 and 4 but they both wear out their welcomes after about hour 60 :p. The combat in Starfield is much smoother and meatier than anything in those games but to each their own :shrug: I don't think I ever finished 4 or New Vegas... All that brown and the samey environments get boring after a while. I need to add Starfield back into the rotation. Couple of other questlines that I heard were really good that I want to do.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yes. I never played FO4 and it's VASTLY superior only 4 hours in. Everything about is better than Starfield. You can laugh all you want. I originally said Starfield was at best a 7/10 game when I was actively playing it. 

Everyone should know by now that you operate on the classic IGN scale. Anything below an 8.0 Editor’s Choice is trash. 

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Everyone should know by now that you operate on the classic IGN scale. Anything below an 8.0 Editor’s Choice is trash. 

Well a 7/10 means "ok".

8/10 means good

9/10 means great 

10/10 means classic/masterpiece 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

For me:

7/10 = good

8/10 = great

9/10 = classic/masterpiece

10/10 = perfection

There is no perfection though. And I'm not as forgiving as most on here. For instance I'd give Starfield a 7.5 which means it's ok and probably worth playing. 

I'd give TLOU2 or part 1 and 10/10 which means they are masterpieces. 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

There is no perfection though.

There have been some games that I felt were perfect. They’re rare, but they exist.

I'm not as forgiving as most on here. For instance I'd give Starfield a 7.5 which means it's ok snc probably worth playing.

For me a 6/10 is ok, while a 7.5/10 is good and worth playing if you like the genre.

I'd give TLOU2 or part 1 and 10/10 which means they are masterpieces. 

I’d give The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II a 9/10 or 9.5/10 which means that they’re masterpieces to me as well.

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

There have been some games that I felt were perfect. They’re rare, but they exist.

For me a 6/10 is ok, while a 7.5/10 is good and worth playing if you like the genre.

I’d give The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II a 9/10 or 9.5/10 which means that they’re masterpieces to me as well.

Have you played Ragnarok yet? That's a 9.5 for me.