Warcraft III: Reforged appears to be a raging dumpster fire

Commissar SFLUFAN

Oh boy - it seems that Blizzard has really screwed the pooch on this one!  

To say that people are displeased with this release is a severe understatement.  This Forbes contributor article provides some of the issues with the game:

• Blizzard promised better cut-scenes with improved graphics, cinematics and voice work but what they showed off at Blizzcon even as far back as 2018 is not what we got in the final game. You can compare the Blizzcon footage (here) to the release (here) to see what I mean.
  • Gamers are reporting numerous bugs, crashes, hangups, assets not loading and many other problems that shouldn’t exist in a remaster of a decades-old game. Some are saying the UI looks worse than before. Others say the game in general looks worse, though this is subjective.
  • Many users have been experiencing login and connectivity issues as well. Connecting to custom matches or even accessing the campaign has been an issue for many.
  • Now that both Reforged and the original game are on the same online infrastructure, those connectivity issues will impact the original as well.
  • Some basic features of the original are no longer in the remaster. According to one user on reddit, this includes: automated tournaments, clans, profiles, competitive ladder and much more.
  • The new user agreement includes language that essentially copyrights all user-created custom games giving Blizzard complete control over all user-generated content. The implications of this are pretty huge, but essentially it’s an attempt by Blizzard to never let another Dota 2 situation happen again. It’s also deeply misguided. (And there’s a very real question about whether it’s actually legally binding to begin with).

The Warcraft III reddit forum is practically incandescent from the burning hot takes.

And naturally, our YouTube friends are all over it:

The moral of the story is to avoid games from studios whose name begins with the letter "B".

I saw the Arthas v Illidan cutscene and :rofl:

They also did Illidan's legs wrong, Think. Illidan has always had hooves post-demonification, but I think is legs are more human-like than the goat like version in the remastered cinematic. Like, they aren't really human-like but they aren't that curved or whatever. Like, Illidan in the remastered version has legs like a draenei or satyr.

Px4aJ_c-DfIZfD-JKOJSc_g6xz4a1-0VjPrtQ3Ni

552b7b983522c659f55036e15b1eb966.jpg

New-Satyr-Models.png

5b0a941c593c96407e2f7833e7e4c8d9.png

1448453760.jpg

Illidan in W3:R

52ccc5ea4860c647e3e850f1ad94d1c5.png

90196a9f2556685e0d8e4bca2d5f93a1.png

408907a14e75024605a0fe8dfe42281c.png

29027db5cc40b715699a13f5c580fd9e.jpg

See, they fucked up the legs... I can't believe I wasted my time pointing this out. 

I have been beta testing this since November. We pointed out graphical stuttering in November. They acknowledged it and never fixed it. I can't tell you how many times I got kicked out of games myself or other people got booted.How many black screens did we get while loading into games? Dear lord. This thing needed another 6 months to a year of beta. Beta felt like Alpha and they just released it.

Let's think about this. WC3 has the potential to be an esport, but Blizzard released it before they even had a ranked ladder system! This is a downgrade in every sense. I remember when I beta tested Starcraft 2 and I was astonished with how polished it was 90 days from release. This thing is the roughest Blizzard product I've ever encountered, and they did it to my favorite RTS of all time. :(

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/warcraft-iii-reforged-not-the-flavor-of-chaos-we-were-hoping-for/

Online and lobby weirdness

Speaking of lobbies: Every launch of the game boots players into a live public chat room, with no option to disable this. Upon my first boot of the game, I was greeted with walls of repeating text from a single user who referenced Nazism, Islamophobia, and an ASCII rendering of male genitalia. (Meaning, content that flew right past the game's included "profanity filter.") There is currently no way to report or mute individuals in this default chat feed, or any other.

Should you load a custom map, its chat interface combines with the aforementioned default open-chat channel, and you cannot mute or stop the general slew of messages that interrupts your attempts to coordinate play with friends or strangers.

The original WC3 chat interface, which would only load when players began searching for automatic matchmaking or manual custom-map sessions, is long gone. Your ability to join a variety of IRC-styled chat channels, grouped by interests, has been removed, and so has the ability to type IRC-style commands (/help, /set-email, etc.).

If the game fails to connect to Blizzard's servers for any reason, you're still allowed to boot into the single-player campaign... but your progress is not saved, despite the game clearly writing your single-player progress to local, editable text files.

My attempts to scan and refresh the public "custom games" list of multiplayer sessions regularly fail without an error message. I simply see an empty list, as if nobody else is online. This requires a full reboot of the game client to correct.

Missing-feature weirdness

Custom campaigns can no longer be loaded—thus wiping out access to a ton of player-made content over the past 17+ years.

The custom map browser (different from custom campaigns) no longer includes players from outside regions.

Players can no longer expect prior beloved custom maps to load by default, whether because of asset conflicts or other unexplained reasons.

Clan support has been removed.

Competitive, ranked-matchmaking ladders have been removed.

Player profiles have been removed (with the exception of custom player icons, which have to be earned by winning matches in the new random-connection matchmaking system).

Native LAN support has been removed.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

It really is a shame what's happening to all these once great companies, blizzard especially, you could always rely on them to release an extremely polished game. 

It is. When I bought Diablo 3 for Switch (previously had it for PS4), I sunk so many hours in that game, was loving it, and then I just got burned out. And now more recently with regards to Blizzard/Activision, I don't really feel compelled to buy their games anymore. I have too many other games I can sink my teeth into for hundreds of hours. :peace:

On 1/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, Massdriver said:

I have been beta testing this since November. We pointed out graphical stuttering in November. They acknowledged it and never fixed it. I can't tell you how many times I got kicked out of games myself or other people got booted.How many black screens did we get while loading into games? Dear lord. This thing needed another 6 months to a year of beta. Beta felt like Alpha and they just released it.

Let's think about this. WC3 has the potential to be an esport, but Blizzard released it before they even had a ranked ladder system! This is a downgrade in every sense. I remember when I beta tested Starcraft 2 and I was astonished with how polished it was 90 days from release. This thing is the roughest Blizzard product I've ever encountered, and they did it to my favorite RTS of all time. :(

It's terrible. Such a great game deserves better.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Derek said:

I don't know. It sounds like they tried their best.

Individual contributors nearly always try their best. It's management that fucks it up while facing zero consequences. They fucked up and then fired the folks whose lives they'd made miserable for nine months.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Individual contributors nearly always try their best. It's management that fucks it up while facing zero consequences. They fucked up and then fired the folks whose lives they'd made miserable for nine months.

We must treasure our Blizz RTS because I doubt we are getting another from them.