~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I haven't been following the vaccination details or this thread that closely the past few weeks, but is there still reliable data that says prioritizing people 65+ is the best strategy?

I feel (based on no real data) like we're approaching a point where the most effective strategy for mass vaccination would be vaccinating anyone that wants it. Are dosages still not high enough for that?

21 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I haven't been following the vaccination details or this thread that closely the past few weeks, but is there still reliable data that says prioritizing people 65+ is the best strategy?

I feel (based on no real data) like we're approaching a point where the most effective strategy for mass vaccination would be vaccinating anyone that wants it. Are dosages still not high enough for that?

I'm super biased, because I'm crazy high risk but somehow am low priority, but if they goal is to take pressure off hospitals, yes. The logistics though are proving it to be a cluster fuck, so just getting to CVS and letting it be a free for all is probably better. 

We flat out have no ability to effectively administer the vaccine in phases. We have the manpower to get all the doses being made available into arms in a timely manner if we just let people get them.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We flat out have no ability to effectively administer the vaccine in phases. We have the manpower to get all the doses being made available into arms in a timely manner if we just let people get them.

A lot of the government is broken because rich white folks are worried that well off minorites will get to the front of the line. As a result, everything is means tested to the point of absurdity. This is just a reflection of that. That's how we can have not enough vaccines to go around while also throwing away a ton of perfectly usable doses.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But what if the wrong person gets it

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

A lot of the government is broken because rich white folks are worried that well off minorites will get to the front of the line. As a result, everything is means tested to the point of absurdity. This is just a reflection of that. That's how we can have not enough vaccines to go around while also throwing away a ton of perfectly usable doses.

No matter what way you're setting up the priority lists, it's basically means testing, which as we all know always increases the efficiency of government programs.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It seems to me that you would probably want to vaccinate the group that's leading the numbers in new cases... which I don't think is 65 and over. Nothing about this rollout makes sense.

I believe they initially said the idea was the vaccinate those most likely to die from COVID.

Again, not an epidemiologist, but with such a large percent of the infections taking place with people under 65+, and just the overall amount of people under 65 in the population, to me a more effective strategy would be vaccinate anyone who wants in to slow the overall transmission.

United States has administered over 11 million doses - more than triple what any other country has (ranking 5th on a per population basis).

Canada has administered 460k doses -- and is 13th on a per population basis.  (Started ranked much higher, and has been falling as European countries get their programs in place.)

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I believe they initially said the idea was the vaccinate those most likely to die from COVID.

Again, not an epidemiologist, but with such a large percent of the infections taking place with people under 65+, and just the overall amount of people under 65 in the population, to me a more effective strategy would be vaccinate anyone who wants in to slow the overall transmission.

Oh I know what the reasoning was... it just didn't make much sense considering the exploding number of cases. Sure you should prioritze the most vulnerable, but not to the point where you're throwing out doses because you can't get it to those folks fast enough. That's just assinine.But what else could you expect from THIS fucking administration.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

If the short-term goal is to take the load off of hospitals, what would have made the most sense is to do what Britain is doing—start at 80+ or something like that and then lower the eligible age by 5 years every couple of weeks. Very easy to verify how old someone is and doesn't create a confusing clusterfuck like our fine-grained priority groups has.

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

State and local officials had been clamoring for months for help preparing for the largest vaccination program in U.S. history when the CDC published a playbook in September to guide them.

“They didn’t plan for the last inch of the last mile, the part that matters most—how you’re going to actually vaccinate that many people quickly,” said Dr. Bruce Gellin, a former Health and Human Services vaccine official and president of global immunization at the Sabin Vaccine Institute.

In the midst of a pandemic surge in Massachusetts last month, UMass Memorial Health Care canceled an event to vaccinate health workers because it had no idea how many doses it would receive. A month later, the hospital system says it learns how many doses it will receive just one to two days before they arrive.

The hospital system had relied on frequently shifting guidance from state officials, who had gotten their information from federal officials. Hospital officials worried over whether to hold back half of their shots just in case. 

On Dec. 31, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health advised hospitals to prepare to hold back half their allotted doses to ensure there was enough to give people their second doses. Six days later, state health officials told hospitals there was no need to do that. Two days after that, another email came from health officials, urging hospitals to be prepared to hold back doses.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

If the short-term goal is to take the load off of hospitals, what would have made the most sense is to do what Britain is doing—start at 80+ or something like that and then lower the eligible age by 5 years every couple of weeks. Very easy to verify how old someone is and doesn't create a confusing clusterfuck like our fine-grained priority groups has.

Agreed, but there also needs to be room for some common sense, homeboy rolls up in a power wheelchair, is clearly a functional quad with 19% lung capacity, should be able to get the vaccine next to the 65 year who just ran a triathlon. Will that be abused, yes, but there is no such thing as a wasted dose at the end of the day, unless you throw it out. 

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Light on details but worlds better than anything I've seen from Trump 

Since these are actual competent professionals, given the reporting about little the Trump administration has been sharing with the transition I'm guessing they don't want to commit to anything too specific before they actually take over the reins and see for themselves exactly what's going on.

So my gf's family now almost all have tested positive after getting sick beginning of this month. Me and her have been fine, but these are the people we just had to go see for Christmas and I got major attitude for suggesting we don't go. Looks like we dodged the bullet since we're both fine. They are just regular sick, nothing crazy has happened yet but still. Oh and on works at a daycare and was going to work up until today when she got her test results back. 

• Sad 2

So, someone answer me this:

Once Biden is in office, how soon can we expect some kind of turnaround by the federal government to the point that we see a notable difference (as in, vaccine distribution getting unfucked, leading to less cases and deaths, that sort of thing)?  Or are we too far gone at this point to turn it around within a few months?

Just now, marioandsonic said:

Once Biden is in office, how soon can we expect some kind of turnaround by the federal government to the point that we see a notable difference (as in, vaccine distribution getting unfucked, leading to less cases and deaths, that sort of thing)?  Or are we too far gone at this point to turn it around within a few months?

I suspect a sense of normalcy is a year out 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I think we're maybe a month out on vaccinations getting sped up? I could be wrong but that's what I've internalized based on everything I've been reading.

To be clear: nothing should significantly change until the end of next month, but vaccinations should start accelerating at the end of February/start of March.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think we're maybe a month out on vaccinations getting sped up? I could be wrong but that's what I've internalized based on everything I've been reading.

To be clear: nothing should significantly change until the end of next month, but vaccinations should start accelerating at the end of February/start of March.

I hope that's the case.  I just want to be able to go outside and travel by the time the weather gets warmer.  Would be fitting, since Covid really took its grip on the country in early-mid March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

There won’t be. Look at the chart @AbsolutSurgenposted and see that the US despite its many flaws is still been one of the most successful in getting vaccine doses administered. There really isn’t much that can be done to fix the reality of a weak federal government coupled with inept state and local governments.

Your hope should be in more manufacturers coming online with their vaccines, thus rendering the phasing systems more obviously irrelevant so that more providers can get supplies and get shots delivered. That is going to happen over the next couple of months regardless of anything else that changes with the Biden administration.