~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

American governance was a mistake 

I wonder what history would be like (and the present) if the US had managed to separate from the UK peacefully 20-30 years after the revolution would have occurred, and had been set up with a parliamentary democracy. Canada would have likely not formed (or the US would have formed into multiple nations, of which Canada would probably be a part of one).

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

They really, seriously do not fucking get that you're not supposed to wait to finish one group before expanding access.

Their own fucking website says they've only distributed 145k out of 500k doses received. :|

Just now, marioandsonic said:

So, similar to the flu shot?

I suppose. I've never had a reaction to the flu shot, so I can't say for certain on the severity. 

My dad got his second dose right after Christmas. He wanted go go hunting that morning and the employee health nurse questioned that decision, but he said he would be fine so he went. He's up in his stand and texts her(it's a small hospital, he's friends with her) and said "I think I'm having a reaction." She's like,"OMG, what's wrong?" He says,"I'm cold and I'm shivering"

Her reply? "You asshole!"

• Haha 5

NXIXITCVBEI6XLGFSLJIDGQ4ZM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

States were anticipating a windfall after federal officials said they would stop holding back second doses. But the policy had already changed, and no stockpile exists.

So looks like we weren't reserving the second dose anyway

• Guillotine 2

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah basically plan on taking a sick day after the second shot. I wonder how the J&J single-shot vaccine will be tolerated. That will likely be rolling out within 30-45 days.

Don’t forget Novavax! Will be rolling out sooner.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
NXIXITCVBEI6XLGFSLJIDGQ4ZM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

States were anticipating a windfall after federal officials said they would stop holding back second doses. But the policy had already changed, and no stockpile exists.

So looks like we weren't reserving the second dose anyway

In a sign that the incentive structure may not be long-lived, a senior Biden transition official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to address ongoing deliberations, said this week the team did not look kindly on a system that “punishes states.” 

Good, the feds need to help slow states pick up the pace, not let them fester. 

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Don’t forget Novavax! Will be rolling out sooner.

Where did you see this? Seeing Johnson and Johnson could be out by early February, although they won't be able to hit their initial production promises until March. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Where did you see this? Seeing Johnson and Johnson could be out by early February, although they won't be able to hit their initial production promises until March. 

Novavax is expected to announce their Phase  3 results any day now, so the rollout will be early February as well, but I expected it to beat out J&J.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Good, the feds need to help slow states pick up the pace, not let them fester. 

Why do I feel like the Trump administration never realized that people live in the states he shits on.  Putting the states in charge of  vaccine distribution and then punishing them because they don't have the infrastructure to handle it well seems needlessly cruel.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Just the typical body aches, fever, chills, nausea, headaches. It's been pretty well reported that the effects of the second dose are more common and severe than the first. 

People tend to report things that maybe exaggerated or false. Coming from you though I’ll take it as truth .

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Great thing about J&J vaccine is that it can be stored up to 3 months at 3-5C. This means they can use regular refrigerators, don't need freezers. That, combined with the single dose, means it will be perfect for the developing world.

Same with Novavax! Inovio is the real crazy one if it ends up working because it only needs to be at room temp.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Wait, people thought it was safe? 

You couldn’t pay me to get in a plane right now.

This is the first Januaray I've spent in the states in years. I fucking hate the cold. LOOK HOW MUCH I'VE SUFFERED.

But seriously, yeah, there's no way you could get me to travel through an airport right now.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also depends on the province, but yes, some are doing poorly. I don't know why the biggest province and biggest state in Canada and the US are doing so poorly compared to smaller ones.

California and LA County have twisted themselves in knots with overly-complicated prioritization rules aimed at making sure the vaccine distribution process is "equitable" instead of focusing on actually getting shots into people's arms.

Canada is also going to suffer in the short-term because Pfizer is retooling a plant in the EU, so some of our doses will be delayed while that happens. Apparently the retooling will allow increased output that will break even by March. We would get doses from the plants in the US...but Trump instituted the rule that any vaccines made in the US have to stay in the US. So that's great.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Canada is also going to suffer in the short-term because Pfizer is retooling a plant in the EU, so some of our doses will be delayed while that happens. Apparently the retooling will allow increased output that will break even by March. We would get doses from the plants in the US...but Trump instituted the rule that any vaccines made in the US have to stay in the US. So that's great.

I don't see Uncle Joe undoing that rule until the 100m vaccinations goal is met at least

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Wait, people thought it was safe? 

You couldn’t pay me to get in a plane right now.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

This is the first Januaray I've spent in the states in years. I fucking hate the cold. LOOK HOW MUCH I'VE SUFFERED.

But seriously, yeah, there's no way you could get me to travel through an airport right now.

The article notes the airlines are pushing the "flying is safe" narrative and the US feds are basically going along with it.

North Carolina has changed the prioritization 3 times now, now only 65 and older plus all healthcare workers can get it. They ignored CDC guidance on those with high risk. The Governor, who normally doesn't suck, left it to all 100 counties to figure out distribution and built a broke portal to track how the counties are doing and if they more vaccine. My county has taken 2 weeks to dose less than a thousand people. Every non essential county employee is now working the call center they setup. 

Supposedly next week they are letting local doctor office's give the vaccine, hopefully that'll speed it up.