~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The poor decision with regards to nursing homes is only one issue and Governors like Whitmer did the same thing in Michigan, but better leadership in other states with early outbreaks didn’t. Those other early outbreak states made better policy decisions, they made more timely policy decisions, and their populations benefitted while states like NY and NJ made many terrible decisions that had devastating consequences.

Does that absolve governors now from their poor decisions? Certainly not.

@b_m_b_m_b_mis right though that Americans have low standards for leadership.

Still waiting for concrete examples!

Testing in Nevada:

I was having some symptoms on the 14th, and I got tested on the 16th.  I have yet to get my results back from that clinic.  I knew that the turnaround time would be long (but not this bad) so I got tested at UNLV last Thursday.  I got those results today.  Thankfully it said I was negative.  But to have to wait two weeks, let alone one week, is not sustainable if we want to balance self isolation with going back to work. For the last 2 weeks I've been WFH, at a job that doesn't work really well from home. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Still waiting for concrete examples!

You have been given them, and you just side step them and say “But it was different back then!” 

It’s easier to just let you flail about as though your Governor didn’t aid in people’s death with worse governance than others who were dealing with early outbreaks.

The same thing applies to the way different nations handled outbreaks in the early days. Some did a good job and some did a bad job. It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You have been given them, and you just side step them and say “But it was different back then!” 

It’s easier to just let you flail about as though your Governor didn’t aid in people’s death with worse governance than others who were dealing with early outbreaks.

The same thing applies to the way different nations handled outbreaks in the early days. Some did a good job and some did a bad job. It is what it is.

You have not named one actual example.

Like I would certainly change my mind if presented with actual evidence, but none has been given.

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

You have not named one actual example.

Like I would certainly change my mind if presented with actual evidence, but none has been given.

Brother, this conversation has happened dozens of times over the last two months and even in the old days of April 2020 you were giving Murphy credit while 400 people a day were dying under his leadership. It simply rings hollow when your criticize other states given that fact.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The poor decision with regards to nursing homes is only one issue and Governors like Whitmer did the same thing in Michigan, but better leadership in other states with early outbreaks didn’t. Those other early outbreak states made better policy decisions, they made more timely policy decisions, and their populations benefitted while states like NY and NJ made many terrible decisions that had devastating consequences.

Does that absolve governors now from their poor decisions? Certainly not.

@b_m_b_m_b_mis right though that Americans have low standards for leadership.

We're cucks for good PR!

I’m not going to pretend that we did things great on the beginning, but it’s hardly a fair comparison.  Yes terrible decisions were made, but they mostly seem terrible in retrospect.  When you’re the first to have to tackle something, you’re a major hub for international travel, and you’re the most densely packed, you’re blind to be fucked.

The difference with Florida and the rest is that they had us as a cautionary tale and they acted as if that could never happen to them.  Despite watching us go through a slow motion disaster, they chose to take none of the necessary precautions.  

In my opinion, the mistakes of NY and NJ are tragic but understandable.  The mistakes of current states is infuriating and much more preventable.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Then it should be very easy for you to provide the examples @Jose is asking for, no?

He has been given them and dismisses them, that won’t magically change this time. He is OK with incompetent governance because...well, we are Americans and we don’t know better.

22 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I’m not going to pretend that we did things great on the beginning, but it’s hardly a fair comparison.  Yes terrible decisions were made, but they mostly seem terrible in retrospect.  When you’re the first to have to tackle something, you’re a major hub for international travel, and you’re the most densely packed, you’re blind to be fucked.

The difference with Florida and the rest is that they had us as a cautionary tale and they acted as if that could never happen to them.  Despite watching us go through a slow motion disaster, they chose to take none of the necessary precautions.  

In my opinion, the mistakes of NY and NJ are tragic but understandable.  The mistakes of current states is infuriating and much more preventable.

They we’re making decisions that were being criticized at the time they occurred. Like the feet dragging on lockdowns. 

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He has been given them and dismisses them, that won’t magically change this time. He is OK with incompetent governance because...well, we are Americans and we don’t know better.

Making a comment about nursing homes was the example? What other examples did you provide? The death numbers...? NJ/NY experienced this when the surgeon general, Fauci, and CDC were all saying not to wear masks as it wasn’t known how much the ppe helped reduce transmission. Florida is getting crushed despite what’s now known to lower transmission and mostly due to a lack of leadership.

I guess I just really don’t understand what point it is you’re trying to make here. :confused:

Just now, sblfilms said:

They we’re making decisions that were being criticized at the time they occurred. Like the feet dragging on lockdowns. 

I’m agreeing with you.  More action should have been taken earlier.  And they were rightfully dragged for those decisions, but even those dragging them for it were doing it out of what was a relatively unknown fear.  They knew it would be bad, just not how bad.  

We now know absolutely how bad it gets.  Florida, Texas, etc. were working with way more information and they made choices they absolutely knew would be bad.

Original mistakes made out of ignorance or a bad call in balancing competing interests are still awful and tragic.  It’s terrible what happened to us.  People down the road ignoring those warnings and intentionally making those mistakes for political reasons?  That’s far worse.  

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

For their myriad failures during this debacle, practically all elected officials should be handed a handgun with one round loaded in the chamber and be told to "do the hono(u)rable thing."

That's too subtle. Half of them would just shoot a minority.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

We're headed back north of 2k deaths a day soon 5 months afterwards and we're gonna act like NY/NJ are the fucked up ones? lol

Whats happening now is negligence, what happened in the spring was plain ignorance.

That's classic D1P logic at its best. You know who should REALLY be raked over the coals? California... they did everything right and then fucked it up. There's literally no excuse for what happened out there. I was shocked when I went back in late June and saw bars and restaurants open with little social distancing. The fact that Cali fucked up so bad is one of the reasons WHY I'm staying in NJ because right now? There's few parts of the country I really feel safe being in. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

We're headed back north of 2k deaths a day soon 5 months afterwards and we're gonna act like NY/NJ are the fucked up ones? lol

Whats happening now is negligence, what happened in the spring was plain ignorance.

33k dead in your state

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Making a comment about nursing homes was the example? What other examples did you provide? The death numbers...? NJ/NY experienced this when the surgeon general, Fauci, and CDC were all saying not to wear masks as it wasn’t known how much the ppe helped reduce transmission. Florida is getting crushed despite what’s now known to lower transmission and mostly due to a lack of leadership.

I guess I just really don’t understand what point it is you’re trying to make here. :confused:

I don't either. Did NJ and NY fuck up by not closing earlier? Sure, but they were still only behind the earliest closing by a couple days. I just want to know what governor did this correctly and why. If NJ closed 3 or 4 days earlier, we still would have had over 10k deaths.

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's classic D1P logic at its best. You know who should REALLY be raked over the coals? California... they did everything right and then fucked it up. There's literally no excuse for what happened out there. I was shocked when I went back in late June and saw bars and restaurants open with little social distancing. The fact that Cali fucked up so bad is one of the reasons WHY I'm staying in NJ because right now? There's few parts of the country I really feel safe being in. 

It should come as little surprise that Newsom and DeWine were basically hailed as geniuses here by some initially, even though they didn't really do anything differently than Murphy or Cuomo. Now they are both dealing with outbreaks because they decided to govern by ignoring data and reopening prematurely.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Your lt.Gov wants grandma and grandpa to die for the sake of the economy. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-suggests-he-other-seniors-willing-n1167341

What point are you trying to make?

I actually acknowledge that Dan Patrick is incompetent. You guys want to pretend that your leaders aren’t, they couldn’t have seen any of this coming...despite Governors in other states at the same time seeing some of these things coming and doing something else and having better outcomes.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

It should come as little surprise that Newsom and DeWine were basically hailed as geniuses here by some initially, even though they didn't really do anything differently than Murphy. Now they are both dealing with outbreaks because they decided to govern by ignoring data and reopening prematurely.

Ohio is fucked up now too? I haven't heard too much about them.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually acknowledge that Dan Patrick is incompetent. You guys want to pretend that your leaders aren’t, they couldn’t have seen any of this coming...despite Governors in other states at the same time seeing some of these things coming and doing something else and having better outcomes.

If your only point is that every government official is in some way incompetent, no one is arguing against that or has stated otherwise.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

If your only point is that every government official is in some way incompetent, no one is arguing against that or has stated otherwise.

That’s not even the point of THAT post. The point is you guys use different weights and measures to absolve your leaders for their failures while offering criticism to others.

15k dead in your state

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

That’s not even the point of THAT post. The point is you guys use different weights and measures to absolve your leaders for their failures while offering criticism to others.

15k dead in your state

Still waiting to know what other governors did that Cuomo or Murphy didn't..... But by all means keep weirdly repeating state death counts. Go for Connecticut now!

We have two options here:

1. Governors that fucked up initially like all governors did and had mass deaths, but have swiftly recovered and kept the virus in control.

2. Governors that still fucked up but luckily avoided a mass initial outbreak due to circumstances out of their control, but have henceforth ignored the data that could have prevented a future outbreak and are now dealing with one. 

If you would rather have option 2, you are full of it, sorry.

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

Still waiting to know what other governors did that Cuomo or Murphy didn't..... But by all means keep weirdly repeating state death counts. Go for Connecticut now!

I’ve pointed out exactly what Inslee did weeks before Cuomo and Murphy even thought to do a single thing. And then you try and act like the date of the “lockdown” is the only relevant action taken. Inslee was shutting down or limiting all sorts of activity when there were only a handful of cases in his state. Meanwhile Cuomo was dragged kicking and screaming to lockdown in the second half of March. But none of these things matter to you, you’ve made this clear because “Density!!!” and all your other excuses.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The point is you guys use different weights and measures to absolve your leaders for their failures while offering criticism to others.

When did I do any of this? I mean, I see you making posts about x-thousands dead as if that makes you feel better about your state...? 
What 👏 point 👏 are 👏 you 👏 trying 👏 to 👏 make 👏?

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You know who should REALLY be raked over the coals? California... they did everything right and then fucked it up. There's literally no excuse for what happened out there. I was shocked when I went back in late June and saw bars and restaurants open with little social distancing. The fact that Cali fucked up so bad is one of the reasons WHY I'm staying in NJ because right now? There's few parts of the country I really feel safe being in. 

They were doing re-opening in phases but it all seemed like the phases were going by very quickly, but you can't blame the governor too much. I mean watch those Chad videos. People are fucking idiots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-response-delays.html

Dr. Frieden said that if the state and city had adopted widespread social-distancing measures a week or two earlier, including closing schools, stores and restaurants, then the estimated death toll from the outbreak might have been reduced by 50 to 80 percent.

But New York mandated those measures after localities in states including California and Washington had done so.

San Francisco, for example, ordered schools closed on March 12 when that city had 18 confirmed cases; Ohio also ordered its schools closed on the same day, with five confirmed cases. Mr. de Blasio ordered schools in New York to close three days later when the city had 329 cases.

Then seven Bay Area counties imposed stay-at-home rules on March 17. Two days later, the entire state of California ordered the same. New York State’s stay-at-home order came on the 20th, and went into effect on March 22.

“New York City as a whole was late in social measures,” said Isaac B. Weisfuse, a former New York City deputy health commissioner. “Any after-action review of the pandemic in New York City will focus on that issue. It has become the major issue in the transmission of the virus.”

In California, Los Angeles followed San Francisco’s lead and ordered its schools closed on March 13, after 40 cases of the virus had been confirmed. On that same day, there were nearly four times as many confirmed cases in New York, but City Hall did not yet support closing schools.

New Yorkers would probably soon have to be kept at home for all but the most necessary needs, he said on March 17 — a “shelter-in-place” order similar to what had already been implemented in the Bay Area of California.

This time, Mr. Cuomo was the one who resisted. He favored a more gradual shutdown.

“I’m as afraid of the fear and the panic as I am of the virus, and I think that the fear is more contagious than the virus right now,” the governor said when asked two days later about the mayor’s comments.

He chastised the mayor for a poor communication strategy.

But then California moved first: Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statewide order for residents to stay at home. The state had 675 confirmed cases of the virus.

OK, let’s shut it down,” she recalled the governor saying. He announced it the next day.

By that point, March 20, the state had more than 7,000 confirmed cases.

Just quoting the grey lady for shits and giggles