~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
GettyImages-1233602650-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Vaccine chief says she was fired for noting state's 34-year-old policy for vaccinating teens.

RIP @CayceG

This shit is infuriating. 

The governor is a dyed in the wool republican that, while he hasn't been overtly vocal about it, has acquiesced to the whims of the Trump-wing of the party. And as that extremist end has pushed more anti-vax bullshit, he's responded with the policies that any covid anti-vaxxer or Q-anon dimwit would see happening. 

I don't know if he buys into Where We Go One, We Go All, or not. But there's no difference between whether he does or doesn't believe it. He's catering to the extremists in his policies. And that's bad enough. 

There's talk of redistricting soon, and my congressional district is potentially on the chopping block to be divvied up and reapportioned so it flips from D to R. 

Living in this state is making me not only politically hopeless, but it's making me not even care about voting for anything on a national level. 

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:
desantisron_06142021_1.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is selling merchandise on his campaign website taking shots at Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious diseases expert, and other coronavirus...

Come on Covid, just do your thing. Wipe them out.

I know it would never happen to him but maybe in a smaller election that one of these pro-COVID fools would lose an election by the margin of their now-dead supporters.

This is an important distinction that gets lost in the headlines often. It’s also why focusing generally on vaccination rates while ignoring the demographic breakdowns leads to poor assessments of probable outcomes.

Certainly there could be particular locales that have neither large prior infections nor large vaccinated populations where spread could be significantly larger, but this ignores the issue of who has been vaccinated. You can find counties in low vax states like Mississippi where 20% of the adult pop has been vaccinated, but 80%+ of the ages 70 and up have been.

The math would suggest to expect far fewer hospitalizations and deaths during this looming September infection peak despite potentially more cases in some regions because of high levels of protection in the most vulnerable populations.

The Biden admin should shift some resources towards getting as close to 100% coverage of those ages 70 and up in places with low or middling vaccination rates. It is the best lever to pull if you want to blunt the worst of outcomes.

3162.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Tedros says ‘accidents happen’ in labs and calls on China to be more transparent

The head of the World Health Organization has acknowledged it was premature to rule out a potential link between the Covid-19 pandemic and a laboratory leak, and said he was asking China to be more transparent as scientists search for the origins of the coronavirus.

In a rare departure from his usual deference to powerful member countries, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said getting access to raw data had been a challenge for the international team that travelled to China earlier this year to investigate the source of Covid-19. The first human cases were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

Tedros told reporters that the UN health agency based in Geneva is “asking actually China to be transparent, open and cooperate, especially on the information, raw data that we asked for at the early days of the pandemic.”

5568.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

International experts say ‘unethical experiment’ could allow vaccine-resistant variants to develop

Boris Johnson’s plan to lift virtually all of England’s pandemic restrictions on Monday is a threat to the world and provides fertile ground for the emergence of vaccine-resistant variants, international experts say.

Britain’s position as a global transport hub would mean any new variant here would rapidly spread around the world, scientists and physicians warned at an emergency summit. They also expressed grave concerns about Downing Street’s plans.

Government advisers in New Zealand, Israel and Italy were among those who sounded alarm bells about the policy, while more than 1,200 scientists backed a letter to the Lancet journal warning the strategy could allow vaccine-resistant variants to develop.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I find the notion that the Netherlands is a top vacation destination for Germans to be somewhat amusing as it's practically an identical country.

I think that's part of the appeal to them? Apparently the Dutch have a problem with German tourists showing up and thinking they can get away with just speaking German since "hey, it's close enough, you'll be able to understand us, right?"

But hey works for me as an American since on top of the fact that a majority of Dutch people speak at least passable English anyhow, they don't even really care if you just start the conversation in English without asking if it's okay first since hey at least you're not speaking German. :p

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think that's part of the appeal to them? Apparently the Dutch have a problem with German tourists showing up and thinking they can get away with just speaking German since "hey, it's close enough, you'll be able to understand us, right?"

But hey works for me as an American since on top of the fact that a majority of Dutch people speak at least passable English anyhow, they don't even really care if you just start the conversation in English without asking if it's okay first since hey at least you're not speaking German. :p

Linguistically, Dutch and English are closer languages than Dutch and German.

Government working with other countries to recognize Canadians with mixed doses as fully vaccinated

Canadians who have received two different doses of COVID-19 vaccines may face difficulties travelling to countries where vaccine mixing has not been approved by health officials.

In June, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization issued guidance permitting AstraZeneca-Oxford, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna shots to be used interchangeably in certain situations.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked if the government has received assurances that Canadians will be allowed to travel if they have shots from two different vaccines, even if other countries haven't approved mixing doses.

"We're going to work with the international community to make sure that people who are fully vaccinated in ways that Canadians recognize as safe and effective are also recognized around the world," he said.

In a news conference Thursday, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc was asked to specify what the federal government was doing to ensure mixing doses would be recognized by other countries.

"We work with allies ... in sharing data, working with them on the best immunization strategies, so we understand the concern that Canadians have around international travel," he said.

LeBlanc pointed to the federal government's efforts to create an internationally recognized proof of vaccination certificate — or vaccine passport — but didn't say how it would work for Canadians with two different doses, although he said more details would be made available "over the coming weeks and months."

But some travellers vaccinated using that advice have started to face difficulties when considering travel to countries where mixing doses is not recognized. 

Laura Sharpe of Surrey, B.C., has one shot of Pfizer and one of Moderna. She booked a trip to Barbados with her husband for the end of August.

Vaccinated travellers in Barbados are required to stay at a hotel upon arriving for up to 24 hours until they get their negative PCR test results back. Unvaccinated visitors, however, must stay in their hotel rooms until they receive their test results on day five.

But the government of Barbados did not consider someone who has two shots of different vaccines fully vaccinated until recently.

Barbados's original policy of not recognizing mixed doses led Sharpe to believe she would have to cancel her trip. She said she even contacted the government's Tourism Ministry to try to clarify if she would be forced to quarantine and was initially told she would.

"I had done all my homework and it didn't help," she said.

Sharpe said she wishes the government had been a bit more proactive than reactive after issuing advice on mixing doses, and is worried about other countries that won't recognize mixed dosing.

"This could go on for months or even years before this is sorted out," she said.

The Canadian government's official recommendation remains not to travel for non-essential purposes.

Sharpe said she understands that advice but still felt she could have made an educated decision to go and felt she was protected by the vaccine and that the country she went to was safe.

Angry Hate GIF

On 7/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So the father of one of my friends had covid earlier this year, had to have his kidneys removed due to it and has to undergo regular dialysis just found out he has cancer of the liver and lungs. What a shitty year for his family. Also may help explain why his case of covid was so bad from back in like November

So they're talking hospice already.

No cancer in his brain, but (and I'm only relaying second hand info here) it sounds like because of how aggressive and serious his covid was, it led to the cancer popping up, and because he's on dialysis chemo probably won't take for this particular cancer. And it's late stage and very aggressive otherwise.

So the proximate cause isn't covid, it's largely influenced by the infection he had. So a big "get fucked" to anyone minimizing the effects of covid still.

• Sad 5

Fuck Cancer and Fuck Covid.

My cousin who lost her mom to Covid, well her husband’s brother in law was just told he has multiple forms of cancer coursing through his body. They think he has maybe a few months if that left. Plus he just lost his older brother to ALS yesterday, and his mom is also semi bad shape herself, also I believe from cancer and mini stroke. Fuck, can we just get just a small period of time where nothing fucking bad can happen. Besides Fozzy Bear coming into my life, it has been just 6+ years of everything just being a complete fucking mess from losing my dad to cancer, fucking up my wrist a month after on the job, 3+ years of a run around on that injury before getting a competent doctor who said I needed surgery, losing my aunt to Covid, family’s battle with Covid/pretty consistent long hauler symptoms, good friend/neighbour losing her parents within 3 weeks of each other to the UK variant before Xmas, losing my job in Feb because of my injury from the job and now this shit happens. 

FUCK!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Linguistically, Dutch and English are closer languages than Dutch and German.

From what I've seen, the vocabulary is closer to German, but the sentence structure is closer to English. It's kind of surprising how far you can get trying to read stuff in Dutch an English speaker with nothing more than a rudimentary German vocabulary and sounding out what you're reading.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Fuck Cancer and Fuck Covid.

My cousin who lost her mom to Covid, well her husband’s brother in law was just told he has multiple forms of cancer coursing through his body. They think he has maybe a few months if that left. Plus he just lost his older brother to ALS yesterday, and his mom is also semi bad shape herself, also I believe from cancer and mini stroke. Fuck, can we just get just a small period of time where nothing fucking bad can happen. Besides Fozzy Bear coming into my life, it has been just 6+ years of everything just being a complete fucking mess from losing my dad to cancer, fucking up my wrist a month after on the job, 3+ years of a run around on that injury before getting a competent doctor who said I needed surgery, losing my aunt to Covid, family’s battle with Covid/pretty consistent long hauler symptoms, good friend/neighbour losing her parents within 3 weeks of each other to the UK variant before Xmas, losing my job in Feb because of my injury from the job and now this shit happens. 

FUCK!!!!

Shit, that's horrible.

• Like 1

"Don't Fauci my Florida!" I yell as I transform into a corncob

WWW.MSN.COM

Nearly 20 percent of the nation's new coronavirus infections are now happening in Florida alone, according to a White House official.Cases are rising across the nation as a whole as the more transmissible delta variant spreads but are concentrated in areas with low vaccination rates. "Just four states accounted for more than 40 percent of all cases in the past week, with 1 in 5 of all cases occurring in Florida alone," White...

Bunch of MLB players weren’t vaccinated, now a bunch of players who went to the Allstar game as well as a bunch of Colorado players who were there now testing positive. Good job, MLB and MLBPA for not requiring all players to get vaccinated.