Morbius - Teaser Trailer

Pikachu

I wonder if they will play it as the MCU and Sony's spider-verse are essentially two separate universes in the multi-verse. Perhaps in the next Spider-Man movie, we'll actually see Peter jump between multi-verses.

So Venom and Morbius are taking place outside of the MCU, but Tom Holland can be in both. Also makes the poster of Spider-Man in the Morbius trailer make a little more sense too, since it doesn't look like the MCU version of Spider-Man.

Eh.. looks okay. I remember when Morbius had his own comic in the 90's for a hot second. He was part of the whole Midnight Sons thing with Ghost Rider, Blade and a bunch of other horror themed characters. The comic was ok but I never liked the character that much. Hard to be impressed by a fake vampire in a universe where ACTUAL vampires exist :shrug:

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I remember in the '90s cartoon he had little fanged mouths on the palms of his hands, and he'd use that to drain the life energy from people. 

Fox Kids' censorship of that cartoon was weird. 

I HATED the 90's Spiderman cartoon... AND 90's Xmen cartoon too for this very reason. They gave the Punisher laser guns or some shit in the Spiderman cartoon.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I HATED the 90's Spiderman cartoon... AND 90's Xmen cartoon too for this very reason. They gave the Punisher laser guns or some shit in the Spiderman cartoon.

ALL guns in the Spider-Man cartoon were lasers, even ones used by cops. Again, the censorship was weird. Spider-Man wasn't allowed to hit anyone with a closed fist, no one could mention killing, it was always "destroy", etc. 

Having Punisher in a kid's cartoon was already weird. Not exactly a character that is kid friendly. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

ALL guns in the Spider-Man cartoon were lasers, even ones used by cops. Again, the censorship was weird. Spider-Man wasn't allowed to hit anyone with a closed fist, no one could mention killing, it was always "destroy", etc. 

Having Punisher in a kid's cartoon was already weird. Not exactly a character that is kid friendly. 

Yeah the closed fist thing used to annoy me too. A lot of old cartoons were like that, He-man, Thundercats etc. The only one I remember were folks actually used to punch each other was GI.JOE. That was one of the things I loved about that cartoon even though they did the whole laser gun thing too. And if you think The Punisher was inappropriate for kids what about Rambo? I never understood how he had a cartoon either.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah the closed fist thing used to annoy me too. A lot of old cartoons were like that, He-man, Thundercats etc. The only one I remember were folks actually used to punch each other was GI.JOE. That was one of the things I loved about that cartoon even though they did the whole laser gun thing too. And if you think The Punisher was inappropriate for kids what about Rambo? I never understood how he had a cartoon either.

At least Batman got to punch people. 

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Man they’re really leaning hard into mid 90’s comics vibes for the Venom movies and this, huh.

I hope they keep doing it... a bunch of comics I own from that time period have shot up in value on Ebay. You wouldn't believe what some of these books are selling for.

EDIT:

That did not look bad at all. So this is clearly set firmly in the Sony-Spiderverse and having it come out a month after Spiderman is genius.  Is Michael Keaton playing The Vulture in this? I like Jared Leto as an actor and I'm rooting for him after he got shafted in Suicide Squad.

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I hope they keep doing it... a bunch of comics I own from that time period have shot up in value on Ebay. You wouldn't believe what some of these books are selling for.

EDIT:

That did not look bad at all. So this is clearly set firmly in the Sony-Spiderverse and having it come out a month after Spiderman is genius.  Is Michael Keaton playing The Vulture in this? I like Jared Leto as an actor and I'm rooting for him after he got shafted in Suicide Squad.

Yeah, it’s wild. It’s not my favorite comics era which I maintain makes sense as a Spider-Man fan. :p But it looks different enough from the MCU proper and lots of people around my age have affection for that period so it makes sense to lean into it.

That said if there’s a cameo from the Jackal in this I’m lighting myself on fire.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, it’s wild. It’s not my favorite comics era which I maintain makes sense as a Spider-Man fan. :p But it looks different enough from the MCU proper and lots of people around my age have affection for that period so it makes sense to lean into it.

That said if there’s a cameo from the Jackal in this I’m lighting myself on fire.

The late 90's were the only time in my whole life when I stopped collecting comics for a bit so there's some storylines I missed out on. I didn't buy comics again until the early 2000's when I was out of college and had a decent paying steady job for the first time in my life. One of the biggest comic stores in the country had opened up near my job at the time so that helped to. The industry had just gotten over the "Image Era" of art over storytelling and writers were starting to become the stars then. It was Marvel's Ultimate Line, DC's Justice League written by Grant Morrison and Planetary by Warren Ellis that drew back into comics mostly. Plus Preacher and Walking Dead from Image. 

11 hours ago, Brick said:

"Some form of bat radar." 

You mean echolocation, doctor? 

This will be shit, and Leto is shit who is just a gigantic self absorbed ass (as well as allegedly a groomer of young girls). 

I hadn't heard the grooming stuff, but I don't really understand the Leto hate. Yes, he is pretentious, but so few are it's actually nice to see someone who does try. Similarly, this is a man who is 1) an amazing good looking and successful model; 2) an enormous music star; 3) an Oscar winning actor with multiple excellent performances.

That is a hat trick, and that is impressive, not something to be derided just because Leto is pretentious and has stupid method acting antics.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
RT_TwitterCard_2018.jpg
WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

One of the most compelling and conflicted characters in Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters comes to the big screen as Oscar® winner Jared Leto transforms into the enigmatic antihero Michael Morbius. Dangerously ill with a rare blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his same fate, Dr. Morbius attempts a desperate gamble. While at first it seems to be a radical success, a darkness inside...

Oh, so you're telling me the two guys (Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless) who wrote such great films such as Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt didn't knock it out of the park? Shocked, shocked I say. :p 

It's telling that these two screenwriters have had pretty solid to good directors like Breck Eisner, who did The Last Witch Hunter (Sahara, The Crazies, 14 episodes of The Expanse) and Alex Proyas, who did Gods of Egypt (The Crow, Dark City, I Robot, Knowing) and I'm someone who likes Gods of Egypt in its way (which I think is all due to Proyas). It's just really indicative of how solid things need to be at a script level for a movie to work, directors can only do so much, especially within the studio system if the script isn't good.

Even in this case, director Daniel Espinosa, who did Morbius, his past films are pretty solid: Snabba Cash, Safe House, Child 44, and Life. I emphasize solid over good (though Snabba Cash and Safe House are legit good I think). And yet, with these two screenwriters, this guy has made by far his worst movie yet, just like the aforementioned directors. 

• True 1

Presales at all our locations have been abysmal. Like, I can’t imagine this flick cracks 20 million for the weekend unless everybody is just waiting for the day of to buy tickets 😂

It's strange Jared Leto even wants to be in the superhero space. Joker made sense, and I'm one of the few who enjoyed his gangster/mobster version of the Joker, which is certainly a take also in the comics. But Morbius? Jared Leto is a very self-serious, self-aggrandizing person (somewhat earned by being one of the most successful actors and singers/musicians in the world all at once) so why he thinks comic book adaptations outside of stuff like Road to Perdition or The Batman are worthwhile for him just strikes me as not in his wheelhouse, especially given he can probably do any movie he feels like being in.

Either way, this movie was gonna be bad. But this is also the guy I felt gave stellar performances in stuff like My So-Called Life (at least back in the day lol), Prefontaine, Girl Interrupted, American Psycho, Requiem for a Dream, Panic Room, Lord of War, Mr. Nobody, and Dallas Buyers Club. I haven't seen House of Gucci but it seemed a lot of people enjoyed his performance in that. The guy is a talented performer who obviously cares about his craft and that's often rare in Hollywood. Now should he cut the method acting antics and dial down the pretentiousness? Yeah, agreed. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:03 PM, sblfilms said:

Presales at all our locations have been abysmal. Like, I can’t imagine this flick cracks 20 million for the weekend unless everybody is just waiting for the day of to buy tickets 😂

it made 5.7 million yesterday in previews so I'm thinking it'll crack 20, though I'm still not sure who is seeing it as when I check out my AMC app the theaters are empty. 

20 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

it made 5.7 million yesterday in previews so I'm thinking it'll crack 20, though I'm still not sure who is seeing it as when I check out my AMC app the theaters are empty. 

I legit can’t find the sales. I’ve looked at all the theaters in the Houston market on Rentrak and the numbers are abysmal everywhere!