Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

20 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That really doesn’t sound bad. 

that’s assuming they subsidize the the next console that much. Maybe they will give the Lockhart at that price point, but the flagship box will probably be quite a bit more.

Well Xbox One X is still basically a $400 Xbox, and the Xbox One S is still going for like $250/$300.  Most rumors think the Series X and Series S will be roughly $500/$300.  So I don't think it's too crazy to assume the prices will be really similar.

If you are a more avid gamer and shop for deals, you can get Xbox Live Gold for $40ish per year, and can typically also find sales on Game Pass for way below the $10 a month fee.  If you do this, then it's still far better to just outright by the console in most cases, but not by a whole lot.

The option to upgrade your console after 18 months I believe allows you to renew a new 2 year contract on the new machine after 18 months.

Phil’s now extending the time period for 1st party cross-gen titles:

We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

I think it would have stayed firmly at 2 years without COVID delaying future release plans.

Longest cross gen period ever.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think it would have stayed firmly at 2 years without COVID delaying future release plans.

Longest cross gen period ever.

If you think about it there's really no reason to revoke it. If in 2 years you want to play a 2 year old game again by that time it's probably heavily discounted anyway.

Reading that blog post from Phil Spencer today, I feel like he's really pushing the idea that you don't need to buy into the Series X right away, and really pushing the value proposition above all else. It seems like a lot of "don't worry, you will be able to play our games no matter what, especially if you have a subscription." I think that's a solid way to go, but it'll be interesting to see how that works out against Sony's messaging of "buy the cool new thing to play the cool new games," which is basically what gaming has always done.

2 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I.e. no Series S reveal. No price.

I think the whole price standoff is hilarious. MS knows Sony is gonna wait, and theyre basically playing chicken. With MS leveraging their Game Pass and Ultimate subs as their main focus, as well as most of their games being smart delivery/compatible, the burden isnt really on them to sell consoles right away.

Sony playing coy with their audience is getting more entertaining by the month.

Maybe I'm being irrational but I'm starting to get less and less excited for the Series X with how much they say they want to continue to support the old consoles and presumably offer a lower cost lower powered alternative. I don't think treating console gamers as PC gamers is really the way to be going. In a way I appreciate what Sony is doing, you want to play a PS5 game? Buy a fucking PS5 because we're not making a shit version to still run on PSpoor's even though there are a 100+ million of them out there. 

1 minute ago, Rodimus said:

I hate these mega threads that are ever changing. Like where is the article talking about discounting Xbox One.

Thanks,,

Also it is bullshit like this Microsoft does that pisses me off. MS so quick to discontinue a console. It now seems like all the 360 support after the One was a one off not the new norm. I get wanting to move to the next but it really feels like they are killing the One too soon. They should sell it for a year after the next gen launches as you know they will support games for the One for the next year or so.

2 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Thanks,,

Also it is bullshit like this Microsoft does that pisses me off. MS so quick to discontinue a console. It now seems like all the 360 support after the One was a one off not the new norm. I get wanting to move to the next but it really feels like they are killing the One too soon. They should sell it for a year after the next gen launches as you know they will support games for the One for the next year or so.

The One S is still being produced and will be sold.

One X and One S All Digital are discontinued.

Unless you were specifically talking about the One X?

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Reading that blog post from Phil Spencer today, I feel like he's really pushing the idea that you don't need to buy into the Series X right away, and really pushing the value proposition above all else. It seems like a lot of "don't worry, you will be able to play our games no matter what, especially if you have a subscription." I think that's a solid way to go, but it'll be interesting to see how that works out against Sony's messaging of "buy the cool new thing to play the cool new games," which is basically what gaming has always done.

There's precedent for slow next-gen adoption with the 360/PS3.  I think we could be looking at something similar until holiday 2021.  If NPD lets us know about it...

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Kind of wild seeing the X getting discontinued before the S.  You'd think it should be the other way around...

I'm thinking the Series X will be $500, which would make the One X redundant. It probably costs too much to manufacture to really drop the price down low enough to be comparable.

i.e. put that manufacturing money into the Series X instead.

16 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm thinking the Series X will be $500, which would make the One X redundant. It probably costs too much to manufacture to really drop the price down low enough to be comparable.

i.e. put that manufacturing money into the Series X instead.

Series S will be either same price or cheaper than One X most likely, and more capable, and able to play pretty much entire Xbox One library, other than Kinect games.  So why still manufacture the One X?

46 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Series S will be either same price or cheaper than One X most likely, and more capable, and able to play pretty much entire Xbox One library, other than Kinect games.  So why still manufacture the One X?

I think your are right... but my guess is that it will be much cheaper than a one X.  

I expect them to have an option to get the series S as a part of a subscription.  Ultimate is $15 per month - pay $25 a month and get a Series S type of deal.  

22 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think your are right... but my guess is that it will be much cheaper than a one X.  

I expect them to have an option to get the series S as a part of a subscription.  Ultimate is $15 per month - pay $25 a month and get a Series S type of deal.  

If you look up the thread a bit, I had thisexact point.  A One SAD is $20 a month on the program, One S is $23, One X is $25.

So ya I expect Series S and Series X plans to be not far off those numbers.

Your games will not be left behind, thanks to backward compatibility. You will be able to play four generations of games on Xbox Series X on day one. That makes it the largest launch lineup for any new console ever, with thousands of games to play. Our backward compatibility engineers have spent years devising innovative ways for modern, next-gen technology to make the games library you’re building today even better, at no additional cost and with no work from developers. It’s our intent for all Xbox One games that do not require Kinect to play on Xbox Series X at the launch of the console. And because of the unprecedented power of Xbox Series X, most of your favorite games will load faster and look and perform many times better on the new console.

Your move Sony.

A pretty interesting thread on Microsoft's approach to its SSD and I/O.  I don't know who this guy is, but he said he has 20 years experience as a developer.  It makes sense to me, but I also kind of find it hard to believe that Sony doesn't have its own systems to cut down on memory usage.  The main point seems to be that while the Sony SSD is way more capable, Microsoft's is far more efficient which closes the gap in a lot of smart ways.

Main highlight - 

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

A pretty interesting thread on Microsoft's approach to its SSD and I/O.  I don't know who this guy is, but he said he has 20 years experience as a developer.  It makes sense to me, but I also kind of find it hard to believe that Sony doesn't have its own systems to cut down on memory usage.  The main point seems to be that while the Sony SSD is way more capable, Microsoft's is far more efficient which closes the gap in a lot of smart ways.

Main highlight - 

Sounds like something that’s fantastic to build into the hardware, but could also technically be done with software solutions.  (PS4 Pro’s checkerboarding comes to mind)

I wouldn’t be surprised if some current games already employ similar tricks to work within current RAM limitations.  Things would have to prioritized much differently without a SSD, granted.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Sounds like something that’s fantastic to build into the hardware, but could also technically be done with software solutions.  (PS4 Pro’s checkerboarding comes to mind)

I wouldn’t be surprised if some current games already employ similar tricks to work within current RAM limitations.  Things would have to prioritized much differently without a SSD, granted.

Hardware solutions is always better then software solutions.  thats why both MS and Sony have hardware decompressors for their SSD's.  If they used a software solution for that it would take up 4 threads. and leave less cpu power for games