Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

14 hours ago, TomCat said:

so velocity architecture gives xbox 96GBs  of I/O throughput   and  the  Ps5  max is 22GBs according to cerny.  Looks like that xtra fast SSD on the ps5 is not fast enough

You must not be referring to the SSD, because:

The foundation of the Xbox Velocity Architecture is our custom, 1TB NVME SSD, delivering 2.4 GB/s of raw I/O throughput, more than 40x the throughput of Xbox One. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/14/a-closer-look-at-xbox-velocity-architecture/

Cerny: 

d60fdaac-07c6-4e12-axqkkd.jpeg

What I love about what M$ did ahead of this event is set/lower expectations by stating its only an hour and will be nothing but games. That way, they can either deliver exactly on that premise alone with the close out being "Tune in August ... for our final launch reveal spectacular." or they could totally blow the proverbial roof off and announce a date, the price, acquisitions, Lockhart, etc.

I'm pumped to watch & see what gets shown off in and of itself, but the undercurrent of mysterious "what ifs" is pretty awesome as well!

15 hours ago, SoberChef said:

What I love about what M$ did ahead of this event is set/lower expectations by stating its only an hour and will be nothing but games. That way, they can either deliver exactly on that premise alone with the close out being "Tune in August ... for our final launch reveal spectacular." or they could totally blow the proverbial roof off and announce a date, the price, acquisitions, Lockhart, etc.

I'm pumped to watch & see what gets shown off in and of itself, but the undercurrent of mysterious "what ifs" is pretty awesome as well!

Yep. I’m swimming in days off right now, so I decided to use some PTO tomorrow so I can sleep in and watch the MS show live. I’m looking forward to it. 

come on Fable announcement :pray:

1 minute ago, number305 said:

That kinda got me pumped.  I hope they also put some time into the last horizon game so that at launch they have some added visuals for series X.

I think they will be updating a lot of their biggest 1st party titles to have some nice upgrades on Series X.

Fable baby!

18 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

You must not be referring to the SSD, because:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/14/a-closer-look-at-xbox-velocity-architecture/

Cerny: 

You always trying to correct someone.  Watch the cerny video  When you combine their SSD with Kraken the geometry engine enhancements and the coherency engine  you have a max throughput of 22GBs.      When you add up the Velocity Arch.  benefits  you get 96GBs for xbox

• Guillotine 1

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-says-xbox-series-x-will-have-the-largest-launch-line-up-for-any-console-ever/

Microsoft says Xbox Series X will have ‘the largest launch line-up for any console ever’
CEO PROVIDES NEXT-GEN UPDATE FOLLOWING “BREAKTHROUGH QUARTER FOR GAMING”

“In content we are delivering differentiated first and third-party content to attract and retain gamers,” he said. “Xbox Series X will launch this fall with the largest launch line-up for any console eve

7 hours ago, TomCat said:

You always trying to correct someone.  Watch the cerny video  When you combine their SSD with Kraken the geometry engine enhancements and the coherency engine  you have a max throughput of 22GBs.      When you add up the Velocity Arch.  benefits  you get 96GBs for xbox

Cerny said in the presentation that 22GBs was a theoretical upper figure for I/O decoding of "particularly well" compressed assets.  Some asset classes could get there, or close to it.  But certainly not everything.  Which is why he clarified that effective use for general (Krakken) compressed data would be more like 8-9 gb/s.

I don't know where you're pulling the "96GBs for xbox" figure from.  Whoever came to that number is trying to argue for a theoretical which, just like Sony's 22gbs datapoint, would break down in a realistic game asset compression scenario.  It's akin to when Sony used to brag about the number of unshaded polygons their systems could render.  By and large, a meaningless statistic.

All said, you used theoretical best-case decompression speeds to claim "that xtra fast SSD on the ps5 is not fast enough."  And haven't even sourced one of your data points.

This kind of logic is why I call you out so often.  Stop making asinine comparisons.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Cerny said in the presentation that 22GBs was a theoretical upper figure for I/O decoding of "particularly well" compressed assets.  Some asset classes could get there, or close to it.  But certainly not everything.  Which is why he clarified that effective use for general (Krakken) compressed data would be more like 8-9 gb/s.

I don't know where you're pulling the "96GBs for xbox" data from.  Whoever came to that number is clearly trying to argue for a theoretical, which just like Sony's 22gbs figure, would break down in a realistic game asset compression scenario.  It's akin to when Sony used to brag about the number of unshaded polyons their systems could render.  By and large, it's meaningless.

All told, you used theoretical best-case decompression speeds to claim "that xtra fast SSD on the ps5 is not fast enough."  And haven't even sourced one of your data points.

This kind of logic is why I call you out so often.  Stop making asinine comparisons.

Not asinine  all you have to do is do the math from the Velocity tech article.   Its all in there

16 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Not asinine  all you have to do is do the math from the Velocity tech article.   Its all in there

I'll put this plain and simple:

If you're a game developer, should you count on Series X loading game assets as if reading 96 GB/s from an SSD?

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'll put this plain and simple:

If you're a game developer, should you count on Series X loading game assets as if reading 96 GB/s from an SSD?

I heard a dev. in a podcast say yes   I'll believe him over you but I forgot that you are smarter then Phil Spencer and Cerny

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

And my uncle who is a game dev said no. LOL

Source it please.

I'm a former gamedev with a vast network of friends who still work for large game studios and I say LOL.

TomCat,

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

-edit-

I say former but I still build random shit in unity for fun when I get bored building cloud services.

• Thanks 1