Sony's MLB The Show will be coming to other platforms soon

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Actually has Sony ever had an exclusive MLB license, or did no other companies bother making an MLB game other than The Show really?  

Do those cheap RBI series have MLB License?

Well back in the day 2K got the exclusive license to make baseball games but only a 3rd party license so first party games were free to make MLB games.

And now 2K doesn't make baseball games so I guess it's anyone's to make and the RBI games are the only other game out there that use the license.

I guess Out of the Park Baseball has the license too but it's PC only and a manager sim.

8 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I believe the contract wasn’t exclusive with SDS. Just no one else decided to make a game. 

Yeah thats what I was leaning on. If thats the case, I cant imagine MLB actually would have forced Sony into making it multiplat, because they aren't buying an exclusive license. 

Maybe Sony just see's such a big potential market to sell to and is doing the smart thing.

37 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

multi-platform = PS4 & PS5 and maaaaaaybe PC.

There's no way Sony's gonna port over its biggest sports title to Xbox.

EDIT: Hmm.. nevermind, just re-read it and it says other consoles besides Playstation. Switch maybe? I still don't see it coming to Xbox.

Keep trying. :p

FgPS3Ul.png

Z8OhU6m.png

Shit's coming to EVERYTHING.

• Thanks 1

I would be surprised if the social media folks at Nintendo and MS have any inside information on this.

However, on the surface the Show coming to Xbox looks like a no brainer, to me.

I wonder if the plan for this game to come to other platforms is via a streaming service -- so could this announcement be referencing a yet unannounced version of PlayStation Now accessible on non-Sony hardware rather than a locally run game?

Is there even a market for sports games on Switch?  I thought that NBA 2k didn't even hit the top ten on Switch, despite being a huge seller on PS4/Xbox.

23 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well back in the day 2K got the exclusive license to make baseball games but only a 3rd party license so first party games were free to make MLB games.

And now 2K doesn't make baseball games so I guess it's anyone's to make and the RBI games are the only other game out there that use the license.

I guess Out of the Park Baseball has the license too but it's PC only and a manager sim.

I wonder why EA hasn't brought back MVP. MVP 05 was amazing. Then Sega bought the rights to counter EA buying the NFL rights, fucking everyone over for both NFL and MLB games

45 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

I wonder why EA hasn't brought back MVP. MVP 05 was amazing. Then Sega bought the rights to counter EA buying the NFL rights, fucking everyone over for both NFL and MLB games

Microsoft needs to bring out a baseball game, they've been sitting on that high heat baseball license they bought back in the day. :p

10 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would be surprised if the social media folks at Nintendo and MS have any inside information on this.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they'd both be independently authorized to make these tweets with very obvious implications based off on nothing but consumer-level information. :epilepsy:

10 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

However, on the surface the Show coming to Xbox looks like a no brainer, to me.

I wonder if the plan for this game to come to other platforms is via a streaming service -- so could this announcement be referencing a yet unannounced version of PlayStation Now accessible on non-Sony hardware rather than a locally run game?

Is there even a market for sports games on Switch?  I thought that NBA 2k didn't even hit the top ten on Switch, despite being a huge seller on PS4/Xbox.

Wonder if he would know....

I mean he doesn't state its coming to Xbox, but would he comment on it otherwise.

Just now, Mercury33 said:

I think I remember reading an article about how Baseball games just aren’t profitable enough. Which is why once the exclusivity contract with 2K ended, no else bothered to try and make one. I could have made that up in my head though. 

I've read a theory that MLB really wanted to have a larger audience for the game, so they probably worked with Sony to do whatever it took to get this on as many platforms as possible.

I don't follow the current ratings of Baseball, but aren't all the demographic trends leaning very heavily towards the older crowd still watching, but not growing at all with younger viewers.  MLB could see having baseball game like this out to as many possible people as a positive thing, specifically with Xbox being a very US centric console.  Even with the huge install base PS4 has over Xbox, in the US last I knew it was still relatively close.  

I'm amazed at how much Fifa got some friends of mine, and my nephews, into watching European League Soccer games. They knew the players from Fifa, and they started watching religiously due to Fifa sparking the interest.  

Of course this could all be bullshit, but made some sense to me.

5 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I've read a theory that MLB really wanted to have a larger audience for the game, so they probably worked with Sony to do whatever it took to get this on as many platforms as possible.

I don't follow the current ratings of Baseball, but aren't all the demographic trends leaning very heavily towards the older crowd still watching, but not growing at all with younger viewers.  MLB could see having baseball game like this out to as many possible people as a positive thing, specifically with Xbox being a very US centric console.  Even with the huge install base PS4 has over Xbox, in the US last I knew it was still relatively close.  

I'm amazed at how much Fifa got some friends of mine, and my nephews, into watching European League Soccer games. They knew the players from Fifa, and they started watching religiously due to Fifa sparking the interest.  

Of course this could all be bullshit, but made some sense to me.

It's the smallest things that can get you hooked on a sport. My friends are into soccer and last year my buddy agreed to join my fantasy football league if I joined their Fantasy Premier League and I got hooked instantly. I am more into that now than fantasy football and ended up winning our 18 team league last year and I couldn't have named 1 player before hand, but researched like crazy. I have watched pretty much every Liverpool game in the last year.  I wish NFL had something similar to that setup. 

8 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think I remember reading an article about how Baseball games just aren’t profitable enough. Which is why once the exclusivity contract with 2K ended, no else bothered to try and make one. I could have made that up in my head though. 

I wonder what's enough for them. MLB The Show is a big seller every year.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, sblfilms said:

Good, I’ve wanted to play it but I just can’t bring myself to play games on that PS4 controller.

Its silply the best baseball game I've ever played most years, I stopped buying it every year a long time and if it wasnt free this year through plus I wouldn't have had 19's the show, but it is and was a system seller back in the day!

Great news it's coming to xbox and pc, just great news for baseball gaming fans!

3 hours ago, HardAct said:

Its silply the best baseball game I've ever played most years, I stopped buying it every year a long time and if it wasnt free this year through plus I wouldn't have had 19's the show, but it is and was a system seller back in the day!

Great news it's coming to xbox and pc, just great news for baseball gaming fans!

I used to play it in the PS3 days. It was always solid from my memory.