BioWare working on New Mass Effect, plans to completely overhaul Anthem

SaysWho?

https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415

Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online shooter, according to three people familiar with those plans. Some call it “Anthem 2.0” or “Anthem Next.”

...The one thing that’s for sure is that BioWare has not abandoned Anthem, despite recent breathless declarations that the game is dead. (There are few better ways to get views on YouTube than declaring Anthem to be dead.) Right now, dozens if not hundreds of developers at both of BioWare’s offices—in Austin, Texas and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada—are quietly working on plans to overhaul the game.

Mass Effect:

In addition to the much-anticipated Dragon Age 4, which BioWare teased last year, a new Mass Effect game is in very early development at the Edmonton office under director Mike Gamble, a longtime BioWare producer.

OK, but can they make the next ME appealing to me? If it is a direct sequel to ME:A then lol into the trash it goes. I'd rather get a new DA, but only if they relearn how to make a good game with a good story. Actually, just in general BioWare needs to learn how to make good games again. 

The wasted potential with Andromeda was just mind-blowing. They took such an interesting concept like being in an entirely new galaxy where you might have to deal with truly untamed planets sprawling with dangerous flora and fauna, trying and struggling to terraform, let alone set up temporary shelter to even begin your mission of pathfinding. They could've even taken the route of it being only humans in a single ark, starting fresh, aside from maybe a tiny handful of aliens who came along. Then they could've made the humans make first contact with a less primitive species and have to struggle with being the technologically advanced aliens coming and upsetting a civilization, and all the drama internally and externally that could arise from that, some factions wanting to leave the uncontacted species alone so they could develop on their own like what the citadel races did for humanity, while others would want to intervene immediately to help them, even if it might cause new problems.

So many possibilities, this is just one of them.

And what did we get? More aliens that were basically just humans, completely unsurprised after like 10 seconds by our appearance and with their own basically comparable technology to some extent and even weaker stories than we're used to. I didn't have super high expectations for Andromeda, but I expected them to at least capture the feelings of isolation and shock of being in an entirely new galaxy. It might as well have just been a couple of new planets in ME3.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

The wasted potential with Andromeda was just mind-blowing. They took such an interesting concept like being in an entirely new galaxy where you might have to deal with truly untamed planets sprawling with dangerous flora and fauna, trying and struggling to terraform, let alone set up temporary shelter to even begin your mission of pathfinding. They could've even taken the route of it being only humans in a single ark, starting fresh, aside from maybe a tiny handful of aliens who came along. Then they could've made the humans make first contact with a less primitive species and have to struggle with being the technologically advanced aliens coming and upsetting a civilization, and all the drama internally and externally that could arise from that, some factions wanting to leave the uncontacted species alone so they could develop on their own like what the citadel races did for humanity, while others would want to intervene immediately to help them, even if it might cause new problems.

So many possibilities, this is just one of them.

And what did we get? More aliens that were basically just humans, completely unsurprised after like 10 seconds by our appearance and with their own basically comparable technology to some extent and even weaker stories than we're used to. I didn't have super high expectations for Andromeda, but I expected them to at least capture the feelings of isolation and shock of being in an entirely new galaxy. It might as well have just been a couple of new planets in ME3.

Honestly, they could've just ripped off the first season of classic Star Trek and I would've been happy.

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I like it when games rip off things well, but holy shit to games often suck at ripping shit off. 

I don't even like it when they rip things off well, I find Rockstar games to be completely unbearable because of how they basically wholesale steal entire scenes and stories from movies. But if it means getting something better than Andromeda, sign me up.