Astral Chain - Switch’s 2019 GOTY - Official Review Thread

Brian

Astral Chain is yet another addition to the Nintendo Switch library that will be fondly remembered for decades to come. Its yin-yang of chaos and carnage, fused with the calmer subtleties of investigation and exploration makes returning back to the action that little bit more special every time. There are so many gameplay elements that just feel and sound so goddamn satisfying that it’s so easy to become blind to any faults. It’s a game begging to be replayed countless times with an absolute boatload of things to do, observe and unlock that I haven’t even touched upon in an effort not to make this review even longer than it already is. Put it this way, if Astral Chain doesn’t turn out to be my game of the year when 2019 reaches its end, whatever surpasses it would have to be something incredibly special indeed.

Nintendo Insider - 10/10

Astral Chain is, without a doubt, one of the best games ever released by Platinum Games and one of the best Nintendo Switch exclusives to date. With its combination of explosive action gameplay, which masterfully blends together mechanics taken from previous games developed by the studio, engaging investigation and exploration mechanics, an enjoyable story and huge amount of content, Astral Chain is a game that no fan of action games should pass on. That's even in spite of some issues here and there, such as the low challenge level and unbalanced evaluation system that makes it too easy to get S+ ranks.

Wccftech - 9.3/10

Whatever criticism you can throw at Astral Chain, you can’t say it isn’t unique. In the first few hours, I was all over the place when it came to an assessment, as it can take some time to really turn it up. But when it does it just clicks, and I don't want to stop playing it.

Destructoid - 9/10

Astral Chain boasts the same winning elements of Platinum’s finest work – exhilarating combat, characterful visuals, and a compelling story – but it loses a bit of personality. Where Bayonetta and 2B provided an emotional centre point for the fantastical storytelling, Astral Chain’s unnecessarily silent protagonist is a charmless creation saved by an utterly charming world.

The Sixth Axis - 8/10

Japan needs to ditch silent protagonists. No one likes it 

And Astral Chain's action is some of the very finest I've come across, all delivered with a seamless quality that often leaves you breathless. Platinum never loses its lustre, goes the motto that sits proudly in the entry lobby of the studio's Osaka headquarters, though some might have thought the studio has dulled in recent years. Astral Chain is having absolutely none of that, and it shines brighter than anything in the studio's past. It's an absolute dream of a game.

Eurogamer - Essential

I had a blast playing Astral Chain and didn’t want it to end. Platinum has created a wonderful new universe for players to dive into that I could see extending into anime, movies, and hopefully sequels. The dual-character gameplay is also brilliantly devised, and although not as difficult as PlatinumGames’ other titles, creates a duet that makes you feel like a powerful, unstoppable force. The story may be the weakest part of the experience, given just how much it changes trajectory, but it has some legitimately great moments, and a big twist I didn't see coming. All told, this is one hell of a game.

Game Informer - 9/10

Astral Chain is another excellent game from Platinum, and one of the best action games of this generation. Period. Fighting off alien invaders with a Legion robot by your side proves to be even more fun than it looks, which is saying a lot. Even outside of combat, the world and its characters brim with life – other than the main protagonist, that is. Excellent pacing artfully balances tense action with enticing exploration to create a deeply satisfying and charmingly quirky ride.

IGN - 9/10

With its amazing visuals, fantastic presentation, varied gameplay and deep, rewarding combat, Astral Chain could well be PlatinumGames' most accomplished game yet. It mixes detective work with exhilarating battle sequences that are inventive, challenging and – perhaps most importantly – breathtakingly cool. The complexity of the game's myriad systems may prove intimidating for some players, but the inclusion of a co-op play and the ability to automate many of the mechanics via the 'Unchained' mode means that even complete newcomers can still enjoy the ride. Astral Chain isn't just one of the Switch's stand-out hits – it's one of 2019's best video games.

Nintendo Life - 9/10

35 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Do any of the reviews talk about portable performance. I have the game on preorder but I would most likely be playing it handheld until I finish catching up on Power.

While the game doesn't hit 60fps levels of smoothness, performance in both handheld and docked modes is solid and reliable, which goes a long way to ensuring that combat is intuitive and seamless. There are some moments when slowdown does occur – usually when playing in handheld mode – but it's never enough to dull the intensity of the experience. While Astral Chain predictably looks somewhat 'last-gen' when compared to the best the PS4 and Xbox One can offer, it nevertheless sets a new high watermark for Switch, which – lest we forget – is powered by the same kind of tech you'd find in a smartphone or tablet from a few years ago. - Nintendo Life Review 

57 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Dear God I hope it's better than DMC5! That game was so massively disappointing in almost every regard.

I’d have to agree. I got it thinking the magic of the first one would be there in some capacity.

It wasn’t. Reeked of a dev trying too hard.

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Man I watched streams last night and this game does not look good or fun tbh. Proceed with caution. 

To me it looks like I'd have to play it to truly understand it.  IMO, that's the sort of game where reviews are very informative.

TgvCa9N.png

I think it's pretty safe to jump in on this one.  Hasn't scored under an 8 yet. Throw caution to the wind.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I’ve hated plenty of games that got great reviews. On the flip side, I’ve loved games that have got poor reviews. They mean nothing. 

The biggest difference between that scenario and this is that you or I haven't played Astral Chain to know.

The reviews mean a strong critic recommendation and consensus.  That's the gist of it.  They all say, buy it.  Given that they've played it, and we haven't, that has some value.  Certainly more than sideline commentary from us telling others to take "caution," which is more akin to judging a book by its cover.

You don't have to take their recommendation.  You can find it unappealing at sight.  That's all fine.  But let's cut the crap about reviews meaning nothing: they're the only informed opinions at this point.  Their value and purpose doesn't correlate to how they align with your afterthoughts.

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The biggest difference between that scenario and this is that you or I haven't played Astral Chain to know.

The reviews mean a strong critic recommendation.  That's the gist of it.  They say, buy it.  Given that they've played it, and we haven't, that has some value.  Certainly more than sideline commentary from us telling others to take "caution," which is more akin to judging a book by its cover.

You don't have to take their recommendation.  You can find it unappealing at sight.  That's all fine.  But let's cut the crap about reviews meaning nothing: they're the only informed opinions at this point.  Their value and purpose doesn't correlate to how they align with your afterthoughts.

Opinions. Nothing more. 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I can think of one such highly rated game that made me want to nuke the earth. 

RDR2 😭

As for RDR2, there was no public backlash until after people played it.  That illustrates my point here.  We all loved the book's cover.

The critical consensus wasn't divisive like the public (to each his own), but everyone had bought into the game well before that.  If I said "Proceed with caution" in a pre-release RDR2 thread, I'd be laughed out of it.  Not that I would, because hell if anyone knew the game's shortcomings by then.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There's a difference between informed opinions and snap judgements.

True. But it still boils down to opinion. The reviewer is offering his/her opinion. They may like or dislike a game based on their opinion not facts. 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

True. But it still boils down to opinion. The reviewer is offering his/her opinion. They may like or dislike a game based on their opinion not facts. 

His or her opinion after much more hands-on with it.  More exposure to the fact of what the game is.

Once a game is out, it becomes more neutral ground.  Well, until informed perspectives shift a little to a public keeping up with patches.

How about this, just because a game is great, doesn't mean its great for everyone.  It might be a great example of a type of gaming, but not every type of gaming fits with a given gamer. Further more, even if a game is of a genre/sub genre that a game likes, an individual development studio's take on such a game might be quite a turn off to someone who loves the genre.  

P.S. But I don't care bitches, because I bought a new switch to play this game! #committed  :duckhuntdog: