Astral Chain - Switch’s 2019 GOTY - Official Review Thread

Brian

This game does an amazing job of making you really feel like all hell has broken loose. I don't even know how they manage to ramp it up and top themselves, everytime.

I'm not even mad that the game featured a wholly unnecessary stealth section. Then again, I'm pretty sure it was actually optional regardless. I don't know how much more game there is left, but I'm quite enjoying this.

I would be interested to know how much influence Nintendo had on development. We know this originally started as a Fantasy game and Nintendo asked Platinum to change it. 2 of the 3 directors on the game are from Nintendo. It definitely feels like Nintendo had a big influence on this game.  

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I would be interested to know how much influence Nintendo had on development. We know this originally started as a Fantasy game and Nintendo asked Platinum to change it. 2 of the 3 directors on the game are from Nintendo. It definitely feels like Nintendo had a big influence on this game.  

It has a Ace Attorney feel to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Seems as though discussion around here about this game died instantly after release. How are you guys enjoying it? 

It's really, really good.  I would say that the first several hours are confusing, and it initially seems incoherent and fairly simple.  After a few chapters though, it establishes a rhythm and its systems open up, and I'm blown away by how well the whole game works.  Like most Platinum games, the story is of no consequence.  It looks and sounds amazing, and the combat is almost overwhelmingly dynamic.  I like it much more than Bayonetta, which is saying something because that game is amazing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Seems as though discussion around here about this game died instantly after release. How are you guys enjoying it? 

It's a Platinum game. The story is some craziness that's fun enough to keep things going. The gameplay remains thoroughly solid. It really is one of Platinum's best games.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this game was a ton of fun right through the end. I just finished off the very Platinum final boss. Anyone still on the fence, for who knows what reason, should immediately jump on this game if they even sort of like Platinum's style. This is definitely one of their best games.

Looks like there's an epilogue chapter or something, so I guess I'll check that out next.

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

20 hours in and saw the credits. 

Reveal hidden contents

Overall, I'd give this a 9/10 because once you have all your legions the combat is the best I have ever played. The story is solid, too. Beautiful game.

Nice spoiler tag. Will you show @Mercury33 how they work? 

Thanx

this game is really good. Just finished file 2 and the combat really picked up. I thought in handheld mode it felt clunky, but i think it was actually bc the 1st mission where it just throws you in was supposed to feel clunky. It’s a really unique concept and really fun to control the legion and combo attacks together. 

im not a huge fan of melodramatic anime-Jank but the story seems solid, even if some of the voice acting is subpar. The investigation/exploration seems a bit shallow but I’m sure it will pick up as you unlock more abilities. The highlight is obviously the fighting gameplay. 

cant wait to dive back in later after I take care of some house chores.