The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't live my life in fear and I don't carry guns in public. I've never even bothered to get a concealed carry license.

I cant fathom how people do it. From the time it comes out of the case to the time its unloaded and put away , I become hyper aware of it and everyone on around me. Its such a determining factor in everything I do , that if I did get CC I would stress out with a heart attack.

Maybe I’m naive, but I’ve always thought that if I was in a home defense situation where I needed a gun, I’m probably already fucked, so what’s the point in owning one?

My mom kept a baseball bat next to her bed when it was just the two of us in the house. I feel like level of weapon is probably enough for your average home defense needs. Get a serious can of pepper spray, or a taser, or one of those t-shirt cannons they use at basketball games. Plenty of options before you get to lethal force. 

I don't think we even know enough to determine if the kids weren't just mistaken. Kill to defend your life and home, okay. But you should be obligated to use lethal force as a last resort as not open fire just because someone you don't know happens to simply exist within the bounds of the address on your deed.

7 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I don't think we even know enough to determine if the kids weren't just mistaken. Kill to defend your life and home, okay. But you should be obligated to use lethal force as a last resort as not open fire just because someone you don't know happens to simply exist within the bounds of the address on your deed.

Shall not infringe doe. 

• Sad 1

Somebody breaks into my house, getting shot is the least of their worries. Especially if any of my family members are there. Fuck that shit. My mother was car jacked at gun point in our driveway when I was in high school and some clowns broke into my dad's house once while my younger brother was home from school sick. He hid in a closet and called the cops.  Breaking into a policeman's home while his son was there sick didn't work out too well for those dudes. You break into someone's home, you're taking chances with your life. I have no idea what your intentions are and I have no interest in finding out.

7 hours ago, Anathema- said:

Ridiculous. Nobody ends up in someone else’s home by mistake. 

20 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

My uncle with dementia did, that was a big part of how he got diagnosed. Thankfully the homeowner realized he was confused and helped him call my aunt.

I think the differences between a confused person suffering from dementia and people with criminal intent are pretty apparent.  Cool that his uncle wasn't hurt but there are times when potentially lethal force in the name of self preservation is justified.  Strangers entering your home without permission qualifies as far as I'm concerned.

I also keep my doors locked, so some poor confused person isn't going to accidentally come into my home.

This discussion sorta made me think about a case I saw some time back. There was a patient who was permanently brain damaged and disabled because he got caught molesting a child and the family administered some street justice. Wonder if the extreme pacifists would stick to their principles if something like that happened. I don't even have kids and my instinct would be to wreck the pervert if I caught them in the act. 

I saw a case on one of the news shows where this guy broke into this young couple's house and attacked the wife. He slapped her around but ran off before things got worse when he heard her mother coming.  The police didn't catch him but assured her that offenders like that rarely return to the same place... except this guy didn't get that memo. He came back THAT NIGHT and broke in again... this time her husband was home and the two of them got into a life and death struggle with the intruder. They ended up killing the guy and later found that he had alll kinds of kidnapping paraphernalia in his car. He also hated women and had recorded a bunch of anti women videos on YouTube.  Turns out he targeted the woman because she bore a passing resemblance to his exwife. Someone breaks into your house, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.  Those types of perpetrators tend to be the most dangerous because they either dont care if someone is home or the occupants ARE the targets.

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It does happen, but how do we know that they weren't just trying to find a quiet place to smoke some weed? I'm not trying to condemn the guy but we don't know enough yet to start patting him on the back. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw a case on one of the news shows where this guy broke into this young couple's house and attacked the wife. He slapped her around but ran off before things got worse when he heard her mother coming.  The police didn't catch him but assured her that offenders like that rarely return to the same place... except this guy didn't get that memo. He came back THAT NIGHT and broke in again... this time her husband was home and the two of them got into a life and death struggle with the intruder. They ended up killing the guy and later found that he had alll kinds of kidnapping paraphernalia in his car. He also hated women and had recorded a bunch of anti women videos on YouTube.  Turns out he targeted the woman because she bore a passing resemblance to his exwife. Someone breaks into your house, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.  Those types of perpetrators tend to be the most dangerous because they either dont care if someone is home or the occupants ARE the targets.

Dude, stop perpetuating the crazy fear that someone could break in. I'm sure they could have just worked it out by talking and maybe calling the police for backup if the talk didn't work.

32 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I find not locking my doors to be bizarre. My neighborhood is safe, I'll step outside to let my dog out at 3am, but I'm not going to bed without locking my doors. That's just common sense. 

I really don't understand it. 

That said, almost 200 guns were stolen from unlocked card in my town alone last year so maybe we're the weirdos locking things

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Proper exterior lighting along the outside of your house matters more than locking your doors, if that’s a concern.

Yeah, and we have cameras set up. 

I'm still locking my doors. It cost nothing and takes literally half a second. Why wouldn't someone just lock their doors?

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I really don't understand it. 

That said, almost 200 guns were stolen from unlocked card in my town alone last year so maybe we're the weirdos locking things

I know, I don't get it. I'm in a Next Door forum for my neighborhood and a few weeks ago I saw a post about someone having a couple laptops stolen from their unlocked car overnight. I mean, wtf?

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, and we have cameras set up. 

I'm still locking my doors. It cost nothing and takes literally half a second. Why wouldn't someone just lock their doors?

I know, I don't get it. I'm in a Next Door forum for my neighborhood and a few weeks ago I saw a post about someone having a couple laptops stolen from their unlocked car overnight. I mean, wtf?

That happened all the time in my wife's nice rich suburb when she was growing up. Kids walking the neighborhood, checking cars. All crimes of opportunity.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dammit

:kiss:

But for real, I feel like prone to barking is more important than big because I feel like they're either going to go try somewhere else for fear of the dog alerting the people inside, or just shoot the dog if they mean business. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

:kiss:

But for real, I feel like prone to barking is more important than big because I feel like they're either going to go try somewhere else for fear of the dog alerting the people inside, or just shoot the dog if they mean business. 

My 15 pounder would easily wake me out of a dead sleep with her barking. And she barks at strangers. 

Locking doors to your home doesn’t stop break-ins, it just gets your door kicked in too :p

Auto burglaries are different though. Locked doors and your crap hidden away makes the probability of your car being broken into drop dramatically.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Someone attempted to break into my parents' shop a few months back. But they lock the doors and the would-be thief didn't get in. :shrug:

One time I had a girl over and forgot to lock the door on the way in, and woke up to some random dude passed out on my couch. And this is an apartment building with ~40 units so not only did he have to randomly happen to select my door, he had to get through the main door the building too. I'm pretty sure locking my door would have prevented the guy from getting into my apartment but what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Of course they do, how fucking dumb.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

Americans have this bizarre home invasion anxiety that I never understood.

Home invasions happen, of course, and I understand the fear. But I'd wager that making your home look occupied and having a security system are dramatically more effective than keeping a gun in the house to thwart a robbery, since robbery is a crime of convenience.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Locking doors to your home doesn’t stop break-ins, it just gets your door kicked in too :p

Right, again, it all comes down to convenience.

When I lived in Somerville, which is a very densely populated town, my neighbor had their jewelry stolen when they left their home for 10 minutes to go to the grocery store and left their door unlocked. People aren't going around door to door and seeing if something's unlocked, someone was watching the house. I'd have heard someone kick in the door, I didn't hear someone just walking in. Obviously it's different if your home is empty while everyone's at work and your closest neighbor isn't within earshot of a frame getting jacked.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Auto burglaries are different though. Locked doors and your crap hidden away makes the probability of your car being broken into drop dramatically.

Wait, so a criminal will be deterred by lights but not an actual locked door? Yeah that's bullshit... sorry.