Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

Just picked this back up after being on vacation and then catching on up on work and life after coming back from vacation. I just completed Act 1. Steam is saying Ive been playing for about 40hrs but my save file is at 27.5. Its massive and was never dull or boring for a minute.  Im pretty sure I did just about everything there was to do. 

I had to look up a few things here and there. One quest in particular:

Spoiler

The Blood of Lathander

Was so cool and felt very Elden Ring like in its obscurity. The reward for completing it is absolutely awesome. I have a feeling it will be very useful in act 2 based on my 5 minutes there. 

For those of you who completed the game, are the other acts as long and meaty as act 1? 

• Like 1

gale-from-baldur-s-gate-3-1.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Swen Vincke tells us that Baldur's Gate 3 romances were bugged at launch, "especially Gale".

When asked about how horny Baldur's Gate 3 was at launch, Vincke is quick to admit that "it was a bug." He says that approval thresholds were set too low, making everyone come across far too horny. Vincke also adds that some characters have been fixed, but others are still being tweaked to avoid coming on too strong.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Hotfix #5 has been released

I suppose you could chalk it up to getting tadpole'd, but my favorite gamification in Act 1 is the fact most of the characters have backstories that would suggest they've got a shitload of clout... but they're all level 1. Astarion's been a vampire for a long ass time but he's learned more about being a thief in the 72 hours he's spent with me than the last 200 years on his own. :p 

• Haha 2

I think Wyll is the only one who directly says that he used to be more powerful before the tadpole.

It works well enough as an explanation for why these super competent and seemingly powerful characters (according to their backstories) are all super weak level 1 characters. At least they tried. A lot of games don't. 

1 hour ago, jaethos said:

I think Wyll is the only one who directly says that he used to be more powerful before the tadpole.

It works well enough as an explanation for why these super competent and seemingly powerful characters (according to their backstories) are all super weak level 1 characters. At least they tried. A lot of games don't. 

Oh yeah, it’s doesn’t matter at all. It’s just game funny, like when the characters in The Last of Us 2 mash a bunch of metal cogs together on a crafting table and poop out a rifle scope. :p

BG3-SITE_9hsCEDv.jpg?width=1200&height=6
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Baldur's Gate 3 is one of the most highly acclaimed games of the year, marrying the best of video games with the comple…

From a visual perspective, the PS5 version mostly acquits itself quite well in terms of basic graphical features. It doesn't seem to really be lacking anything at first glance, and that's for good reason: it actually appears to be running at the PC's ultra settings preset, which is the highest set of options available. This isn't typical of most console games, but the performance delta on PC between the various settings options is minimal, so the high visual target does make some sense here.

From a visual perspective, Baldur's Gate 3 is a pretty decent experience on PS5 hardware and frame-rates are good for much of the experience. Performance mode targets 60fps and for the most part it does seem to reach that target. Interior areas and most of the game's exterior landscapes run just fine at 60fps, including combat scenes. I did notice that certain cutscenes do seem to run beneath this target, but these moments are fleeting. The grove area in the first act also sees some little dips when you walk around - it's nothing too severe, but worth noting.

However, there are areas that don't fare quite as well. Inevitably, the city area from the game's third act is much, much heavier than the areas from the first act that we sampled, with performance dropping into the low twenties at worst. As far as I can tell, these issues probably shouldn't arise before this section, as the many, many hours of gameplay that precede it don't feature large, NPC-dense cities like this.

It's also worth noting the screen-tearing here. Baldur's Gate 3 has some tearing in roughly the top 20 percent of the screen during typical gameplay when the frame-rate is dropping below 60fps, on the order of a few frames every second or so. It's a little annoying to be sure, but it does preserve a bit of input response at the expense of hurting image quality. For a turn-based game I would probably have elected to just hold v-sync regardless, but this is a choice that developers sometimes make. In the heaviest scenes, there's also distracting tearing at the very bottom of the scene, which looks like a bug - as if the game is flipping in the next frame before it should be.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry's PS5 version technical analysis

Finally made it to Act III. I'm probably overleveled (lvl 10) because I whomped the Act II boss as I tried to do absoutely everything before moving on to Act III.

I've heard mixed reviews about Act III so hopefully I still enjoythe game as much as I am now cause its got the hooks in me good. However I almost feel like turning the difficulty up to tactician cause like with most tactical/crpgs the difficutly curve is often front-loaded.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PS5 version technical analysis