U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Breast-feeding advocates are some of the most annoying though generally harmless people, only slightly surpassed by the typical vegan.

32 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Like people making out in public, just turn your fucking head if it bothers you so much.

Christian eyes burn while looking at babies sucking on teats. 

49 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Like people making out in public, just turn your fucking head if it bothers you so much.

The US opposition here is based on the financial interests of the formula industry...

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Breast-feeding advocates are some of the most annoying though generally harmless people, only slightly surpassed by the typical vegan.

Breast feeding advocates don't bother me in the slightest because they're actually advocating for something generally positive, or even if all the science is somehow utterly bunk, totally harmless.  I would rather drive all of the anti-vaccers, alternative medicine supporters, and cannabis snake oil salesman into the sea than give a breast feeding advocate a sidewards glance.  Total people who have caught a preventable, potentially dangerous disease because their parents insisted on nursing is still hanging steady at zero.

3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Breast feeding advocates don't bother me in the slightest because they're actually advocating for something generally positive, or even if all the science is somehow utterly bunk, totally harmless.  I would rather drive all of the anti-vaccers, alternative medicine supporters, and cannabis snake oil salesman into the sea than give a breast feeding advocate a sidewards glance.  Total people who have caught a preventable, potentially dangerous disease because their parents insisted on nursing is still hanging steady at zero.

The number of children who have starved to death or suffered permanent damage due to dehydration because of breastfeeding advocates insisting formula is poison is absolutely not zero.

But yes, as I mentioned they are generally harmless. Just annoying like the vegans because they completely suck at understanding statistics. They’ll point to

aomething saying a kid is twice as likely to have <insert bad thing> if formula fed as breast fed and not understand that twice as likely of something really unlikely is still really unlikely. 

They also tend tend to not grasp that some women can’t breast feed for physiological reasons and are still super terrrible to those who end up formula feeding since they can’t do it or afford a wet nurse. 

When my wife had my daughter, we faced-off with the breast-feeding nazis. She had a C section so spent a few extra days in the hospital and at the same time, complained that it was a bit painful when she tried to breast feed. Also, my daughter was crying a lot and it seemed she wasnt getting enough milk. The Drs supplemented with formula which instantly chilled my daughter out. Meanwhile these two RN breat-feeding nazis made my wife feel like shit for wanting to give up on trying and kept insisting she continue ...accompanied with telling us the terrible things that will happen to my daugther if she doesnt suck it up and push through. Turns out my wife had some infection (cant remember what it was called as it was 9yrs ago) in her breasts. I very politely told them to fuck off and requested that different nurses assist my wife.

My daughter will be 9. Shes totally healthy, excels at school, is a beast of a lacrosse player and does pretty good in fortnite. 

And my wife is still an advocate for breast-feeding. If you can do it, then you absolutely should..but shaming a mother who cant or doesnt is a shitty thing to do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

"The U.S. strongly supports breast feeding but we don’t believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this statement.  

It's not what actually happened doe.

10 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

"The U.S. strongly supports breast feeding but we don’t believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty."

There’s also no chance he wrote that or believes it so whatever. :p

4 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

There is nothing wrong with that statement. Where is the actual statement that was originally proposed that the US strongly opposed? I went through 8 different articles and I can't find what it actually said.

13 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Ivanka probably wrote it.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s also no chance he wrote that or believes it so whatever. :p

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Trump is apposed to mothers breastfeeding their children.  In fact, I believe he has zero problems with it and would very much like to watch

I didn't realize breast-feeding advocates were apparently tied directly to anti-formula people? I think any sane person is for breastfeeding, but when I think "breastfeeding advocate" I think of someone who is protecting women's rights to breastfeed in public without dipshits causing a scene about it. Now I'm a little confused on what this is all actually about. Formula is totally fine, too.

22 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

There is nothing wrong with that statement. Where is the actual statement that was originally proposed that the US strongly opposed? I went through 8 different articles and I can't find what it actually said.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I didn't realize breast-feeding advocates were apparently tied directly to anti-formula people? I think any sane person is for breastfeeding, but when I think "breastfeeding advocate" I think of someone who is protecting women's rights to breastfeed in public without dipshits causing a scene about it. Now I'm a little confused on what this is all actually about. Formula is totally fine, too.

Given this:

Nestlé, the Switzerland-based food giant with significant operations in the United States, sought to distance itself from the threats against Ecuador and said the company would continue to support the international code on the marketing of breast milk substitutes, which calls on governments to regulate the inappropriate promotion of such products and to encourage breast-feeding.

I would imagine that the issue is companies' like Nestle's really fucky history with things like actively discouraging breastfeeding in developing countries.