April Backlog: Finish a classic game

crispy4000

We haven't had one of these in a while.  Since it's a relatively slow month, I thought it'd be nice to bring it back:

wkX7fpj.jpg

I made it as far as the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy level years ago.  Think I stopped back then because I preferred World, and couldn't get past that.  But I'm ready to give it another go, especially after hearing it's still the best Yoshi game.

Well I have a classic game I need to finish. That is Castlevania 2. While I have played it. I started it earlier this year and I need to get back to it and finish it. So I am going to play Castlevania 2 this month. Then make a video about it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Well I have a classic game I need to finish. That is Castlevania 2. While I have played it. I started it earlier this year and I need to get back to it and finish it. So I am going to play Castlevania 2 this month. Then make a video about it.

Yeah I was going to stream whichever game I picked. Just seemed like the logical thing to do. 

• Like 1

I’m starting to dislike the egg throwing mechanics in YI.  I hate how the cursor just bobs back and forth, rather than letting you have control directly.  The later Yoshi games changed this, to my memory.

Beat the first world.  Every stage has been unique at least.  The level design holds up so far.

Okay, you know what, I actually thought of one:

spacer.png

I had the original on NES but I sold it off before I beat it. I've started it multiple times over the years but always only play an hour or so then go on to something else. Since I have it on the NES Classic and in the Switch Online library, I'm out of excuses.

I'll probably play through it on the classic because that joycon d-pad is atrocious for this and my controller d-pad is fidgety as shit. The grid-based movement in this game does not lend itself well to analog sticks, either. I seem to get the best responsiveness out of the NES Classic's old-school controller.

Chrono Trigger, I’m guessing I’m 1/4 of the way through. It’s holding up well and I can certainly see how great a game this was for the time. Time will tell however whether his still holds the title of one of the best, or whether that’s been influenced by nostalgia.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I just finished Super Mario Bros 3 for the first time. I didn’t actually enjoy it all that much. 

Seeing as how most of the 2D Mario games since have built upon and improved the formula from Mario 3, I can see how that could be the case. Back in the day, though, that game was da shit.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Seeing as how most of the 2D Mario games since have built upon and improved the formula from Mario 3, I can see how that could be the case. Back in the day, though, that game was da shit.

Definitely not the 'New' series.  3 is still very much its own thing to this day, IMO.  Even if a lot of that is the physics and power-ups.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, gamer.tv said:

Chrono Trigger, I’m guessing I’m 1/4 of the way through. It’s holding up well and I can certainly see how great a game this was for the time. Time will tell however whether his still holds the title of one of the best, or whether that’s been influenced by nostalgia.

Nice pick.  CT is still excellent in my memory.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Okay, you know what, I actually thought of one:

spacer.png

I had the original on NES but I sold it off before I beat it. I've started it multiple times over the years but always only play an hour or so then go on to something else. Since I have it on the NES Classic and in the Switch Online library, I'm out of excuses.

I'll probably play through it on the classic because that joycon d-pad is atrocious for this and my controller d-pad is fidgety as shit. The grid-based movement in this game does not lend itself well to analog sticks, either. I seem to get the best responsiveness out of the NES Classic's old-school controller.

Never mind. Fuck this game. The new D-pads are way too sensitive. In a game where you must actually face a direction first before moving/jumping, having a super-sensitive d-pad wastes precious seconds, especially when jumping from brick to brick to avoid projectiles. I remember being able to roll my thumb around on the NES d-pad back in the day and do what I needed to do, but the game was designed for that old chunky d-pad. This new one just registers a different direction way too easily. A keyboard would actually be preferable.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, TheLeon said:

I just finished Super Mario Bros 3 for the first time. I didn’t actually enjoy it all that much. 

My sister and I did a marathon of DKC 1, 2 & 3 then Super Mario World and then we started SMB3 but she lost interest on world 6. Now that I'm done DQXI I think I'll finish it. I've finished the original NES and Super Mario Allstars version but we got the GBA on Wii U VC so it'll be my first time finishing that version.

Finished Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA version of SMB3).