What do people think about Supergiant's games?

ShreddieMercury

I was a very big fan of Bastion when the game first dropped. I played it probably 3 or 4 times on the 360, rebought on the Vita?, PC, PS4, and iOS I believe.

Its a VERY charming game with great visuals and a superb soundtrack. However, looking back I overhyped it a lot. Its still a great game, just not the 10/10 I wanted it to be.

I tried to play Transistor probably 4 or 5 times and for whatever reason I just can't get into it. Its combat takes a different route than Bastion though it still retains the charm, soundtrack, and great visuals that Bastion had.

I haven't played Pyre, but watching videos it seems like it follows suit with switching up the combat, while retaining the staples Supergiant is known for.

15 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I was a very big fan of Bastion when the game first dropped. I played it probably 3 or 4 times on the 360, rebought on the Vita?, PC, PS4, and iOS I believe.

Its a VERY charming game with great visuals and a superb soundtrack. However, looking back I overhyped it a lot. Its still a great game, just not the 10/10 I wanted it to be.

You should find a way to play Terrangima if you haven't.  That's a good example of a 10/10 ARPG that isn't loot based (ie: Diablo).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

You should find a way to play Terrangima if you haven't.  That's a good example of a 10/10 ARPG that isn't loot based (ie: Diablo).

Repro carts aren't that expensive, I could always ROM it too. I'll figure out something soon

I adored Bastion when it came out. It's been years since I've played it, but I imagine it holds up pretty well. 

I'm going to have to revisit Transistor at some point, I think. I played maybe half of it when it came out, and I can't remember specifically why I stopped. 

Pyre just wasn't all that fun to play, but maybe I didn't give it enough time. 

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s EU/Japan only.  So it would probably have to be the latter.

Secret of Mana 2 is another.  The US missed out on a ton of good 16-bit stuff.

I'm pretty sure the Super NT will play PAL games too so that shouldn't be a problem.

Its super expensive, repro cart will have to do lol

1 hour ago, Moa said:

I played through Bastion 1.5 times the day it came out. I haven't played their other games since Transistor looked lifeless to me and Pyre was its whole other thing.

While I can see it on the surface, I didn't feel that way about Transistor after playing it.  There are some story beats that touch on the 'lifeless' nature of the city, but it still felt like a rich world to me.  It's all very cohesive.

There's a lot in Bastion's narration that amounted to color text.  I feel Transistor did a better job melding the plot with the action on screen.  It can still feel like an enemy gauntlet at times, but there's better pacing choices that cut down the tedium.

I'm aware it's still a polarizing game to some people.  Maybe that has to do with the combat system.  But yeah, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Bastion was great. Hades was something I was interested in until I heard dungeons were random and it is an Early Access game. Lost interest immediately. The other two were games I never looked into as I never liked what was shown. And I like Bastion enough that I bought Bastion merch. 

• 4 months later...

Necrobump since this was the only thread I could find on Pyre but now that I've beaten The Banner Saga 3 was wondering who else has played Pyre? Big Supergiant Games fan, loved Transistor even more than Bastion, and I see 4 hours in Pyre has its own charms.

A shame to see the few in this thread haven't played Pyre or gave up on Transistor. All fantastic games. Might even play Hades once it's out of early access, despite the rogue-like aspects.

14 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Necrobump since this was the only thread I could find on Pyre but now that I've beaten The Banner Saga 3 was wondering who else has played Pyre? Big Supergiant Games fan, loved Transistor even more than Bastion, and I see 4 hours in Pyre has its own charms.

A shame to see the few in this thread haven't played Pyre or gave up on Transistor. All fantastic games. Might even play Hades once it's out of early access, despite the rogue-like aspects.

I ended up playing through Bastion, and I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great.  Transistor is more appealing to me though, so I'll definitely give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I ended up playing through Bastion, and I enjoyed it but didn't think it was great.  Transistor is more appealing to me though, so I'll definitely give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.

As much as I enjoyed Bastion, I found Transistor's graphics, aesthetic, and music to be more my style as well. 

• 2 weeks later...