Facebook admits to storing hundreds of millions of passwords as plain text in a list accessible by 2,000 employees

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

People getting paid a quarter of a million dollars plus to make a goddamn rookie mistake

One theory as to why mistakes like this are happening in some companies is that the issue is related to ageism in hiring. I'm not 100% convinced on this theory, but there are certain best practices that are ingrained over years of work, and some tech companies (especially Facebook) are known for being open in hiring young people over old people.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

At this point I'm embarrassed to even have a FB account, though I very rarely log in. There's just not much more this company can do at this point to prove that they're poor stewards of your information.

Unfortunately I need one for my business as Facebook is still a prime place to get wedding photography clients (like, comment, subscribe!), but if I could drop it completely I would. I don't use my personal account anymore, and wish I could delete it (required for business account). I use instagram primarily (even though it's owned by Facebook), though even that is not used that often anymore. 

If you want or need to be relevant on social media, you need to be very plugged into Facebook, as well as Instagram, Youtube, and Twitter. Twitch as well, if you are at all trying to reach that kind of audience. 

I try to be somewhat relevant on these platforms, so I do keep them active, but I'm not some huge Facebook fan or something. But social media does good as well as it does evil and so it will always exist so rather than wishing it away or saying "I personally don't use it" we need to make the conversation more constructive and see how we can make these corporations accountable and in what ways since social media will always "be a thing" going forward. In fact, as more countries' wifi and internet bandwiths and strengths and accessibility increase across the globe, we'll be seeing more, not less, social media as more people "plug in". 

Elizabeth Warren seems at least interested in having that conversation of accountability. Because shit like this is unacceptable. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

If you want or need to be relevant on social media, you need to be very plugged into Facebook, as well as Instagram, Youtube, and Twitter. Twitch as well, if you are at all trying to reach that kind of audience. 

I try to be somewhat relevant on these platforms, so I do keep them active, but I'm not some huge Facebook fan or something. But social media does good as well as it does evil and so it will always exist so rather than wishing it away or saying "I personally don't use it" we need to make the conversation more constructive and see how we can make these corporations accountable and in what ways since social media will always "be a thing" going forward. In fact, as more countries' wifi and internet bandwiths and strengths and accessibility increase across the globe, we'll be seeing more, not less, social media as more people "plug in". 

Elizabeth Warren seems at least interested in having that conversation of accountability. Because shit like this is unacceptable. 

I don't hate social media as a whole. I overuse Twitter, though it's mostly as a new aggregator, I don't really engage much. I partially stopped using Facebook because I didn't enjoy the product, but I stay away from Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp because I don't like the company. I agree that social media is likely a permanent part of the landscape of the web, but there's no particular reason that Facebook needs to own all of it, and I don't want to be a party to their dominance.

I liked Warren's proposal to break up Facebook because I want to see real competition in the space again. I could likely be suckered into another social network if there was one that felt better about using.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Fb isn’t the only tech company who does this. It’s more a question of who has access for most places but at least for fb they also tracks everything so they would also know if someone peaked.

Pretty sure this isn't common (on purpose, at least). It's not hard to salt/hash the passwords to be more secure.

In my workplace, we manage passwords for around 11,000 users, and there is no way for anyone to see the naked password.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hey @Jasondoes d1p keep passwords as text?

I'm pretty sure when we restored accounts after the server implosion that we had the hashes. I think the latest IBP software wouldn't even give us those (so forced password resets for everyone I guess). 

17 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't hate social media as a whole. I overuse Twitter, though it's mostly as a new aggregator, I don't really engage much. I partially stopped using Facebook because I didn't enjoy the product, but I stay away from Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp because I don't like the company. I agree that social media is likely a permanent part of the landscape of the web, but there's no particular reason that Facebook needs to own all of it, and I don't want to be a party to their dominance.

I liked Warren's proposal to break up Facebook because I want to see real competition in the space again. I could likely be suckered into another social network if there was one that felt better about using.

I'm with you there though WhatsApp and Instagram are pretty great products in some ways. And to be clear, my post was not directly aimed at yours about not using Facebook. I wish there was more competition in the space than just Facebook, but for now people who want or need to use social media have to use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, and Twitch. I think corporate accountability needs to be pushed more and more (as I know you are also a proponent of). :)