The Switch eshop is starting to look like a crappy mobile game storefront.

Paperclyp

Perusing it for the first time the other week after getting a Switch, it did strike me how fucking terrible it is. For example, you would have no idea Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze or Mario Tennis Aces are available; they weren't visible in any of the major storefront categories.

It is kinda weird how different the Switch shop is compared to the 3DS and even Wii U eShops are. Why change it up? Or why change it to THIS?

An overhaul is needed, and (I assume) coming sometime. But yeah, never should have been like this to begin with. The only good thing I can say about it is, at least its quick. Navigating through all that clutter is at least pretty snappy, in my experience. Yay?

Apparently indies are still selling better on Switch than any other platform.

“Nintendo Switch continues to amaze us,” reads a tweet by Monster Boy publisher FDG Entertainment. “Not only does it bring so much joy with its original games, it’s also the most profitable console business ever for us. It’s another universe in regards of sales numbers.[Monster Boy’s] ratio is [eight-to-one Nintendo Switch versus] everything else.”
https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/08/monster-boy-switch-sales/

As much junk is filtering the store, the bubble hasn't burst yet.

14 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Has been this way since Day 1. It’s embarrassing that games selling for $0.99 are constantly on the top DL page. 

I haven't checked the Switch store for a few months. Are the top downloaded $0.99 games cheap junk? It wouldn't surprise me if people are gaming the system the same way they do on Amazon. Either flooding the market with fake reviews, or in this case potentially paying people or companies to inflate the sales. Making them pop way up at the top of the Top Downloaded list. 

12 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I haven't checked the Switch store for a few months. Are the top downloaded $0.99 games cheap junk? It wouldn't surprise me if people are gaming the system the same way they do on Amazon. Either flooding the market with fake reviews, or in this case potentially paying people or companies to inflate the sales. Making them pop way up at the top of the Top Downloaded list. 

I have not played any so I don’t want to say cheap junk but some definitely look like mobile games that are constantly on sale in the $0.49-$1.99 range and I see quite often in the best seller lists. 

15 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Has been this way since Day 1. It’s embarrassing that games selling for $0.99 are constantly on the top DL page. 

The algorithm has been the same, but now the recent releases are overwhelmingly dog shit mobile games.

Frankly, I have issues with all the storefronts (Sony’s, for example, is so consistently laggy for me and frequently won’t even load with system restarts). But Nintendo’s level of apathy never ceases to amaze. 

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don't know if Nintendo tweaks the best sellers list, but you can see it here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/nintendo-switch-bestsellers

I rarely check the store from my Switch. I usually just go through the browser store. It's so much easier than typing out my password on the touch screen.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't know if Nintendo tweaks the best sellers list, but you can see it here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/nintendo-switch-bestsellers

I rarely check the store from my Switch. I usually just go through the browser store. It's so much easier than typing out my password on the touch screen.

Are you doing that for security reasons or something? I never have to enter my password. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Are you doing that for security reasons or something? I never have to enter my password. 

Correct. I don't like my password being saved on the Switch because I don't trust its security. I don't leave a saved credit card either for the same reason. That's why I use PayPal for eShop purchases. Also, my password is like 30+ random characters. It's annoying to type out.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Correct. I don't like my password being saved on the Switch because I don't trust its security. I don't leave a saved credit card either for the same reason. That's why I use PayPal for eShop purchases. Also, my password is like 30+ random characters. It's annoying to type out.

What stuff are you hiding on that thing?

• Haha 1