Bill Maher attacks Stan Lee's Legacy

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He made his point and then some. If nerds wanna cry about it he's not going to care about it much like nerds keep saying they don't care about him. 🤷‍♀️

What was his point? To shit on the legacy of a beloved media figure shortly after his death for the sake of a few jokes? If Maher had had this stance all along, cool. But for him to use the occasion of Stan Lee's death to go on this pointless tirade is what's so irksome... that and the fact that he hasn't been funny in a decade and is hopelessly out of touch but to each his own. He's no innocent victim here... he brought it on himself and any criticism he gets, from "nerds" or otherwise is fair game... again, fuck him. 

50 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

There are legitimate criticisms of Stan Lee, "because comic books" isn't one of them.

He isn’t giving a critique of Stan Lee here, it’s of adults who don’t grow up.

I think there is some truth to what he said, but it does feel like a situation in which an old dude just doesn’t understand the evolution of society.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What was his point? To shit on the legacy of a beloved media figure shortly after his death for the sake of a few jokes? If Maher had had this stance all along, cool. But for him to use the occasion of Stan Lee's death to go on this pointless tirade is what's so irksome... that and the fact that he hasn't been funny in a decade and is hopelessly out of touch but to each his own. He's no innocent victim here... he brought it on himself and any criticism he gets, from "nerds" or otherwise is fair game... again, fuck him. 

3 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

There are legitimate criticisms of Stan Lee, "because comic books" isn't one of them.

I think you both might have missed the point of what he's saying. He talked about it a bit more in this video, if you care to watch:

He explicitly says he wasn't shitting on Stan Lee or his legacy or comic books. He's criticizing people who don't want to grow up. I think he could have a legitimate point there, but to be sure I understand him I would want to hear more than just a 5 minute video which is meant to get laughs.  :p 

As some of you said though, IMO it does seem a bit like an attention grab since AFAIK, he's only making this point upon Stan Lee's death. I don't follow Bill Maher closely enough to know whether he has made this point before. Now it seems like he's mostly just pushing back against the  backlash of people who misunderstood his original point. And for him, it's good publicity.  :shrug:

I like watching Bill Maher because he shits on people. So I can't get mad when there's a little splash back on to a person (or culture of people) that I like.

This'll pass, he'll continue shitting on everyone like usual, and I'll have no reason to hold his Stan Lee comments against him when compared to everyone else he talks about.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Basically what Nokra said.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No, he's just criticizing them for saying comic books and movies are the pinnacle of entertainment.

"They" said that or is he just creating a straw man? I'm not gonna go back and forth on this, but he originally criticized fans for their reverence for Stan Lee when he died and for daring to put him in the same class as Walt Disney and others. He may be trying to walk it back somewhat now but the fact remains he used Stan Lee's death as an opportunity to... do what I'm not sure, but whatever "legit points" he may have are negated by that. I say again... FUCK HIM. 

An event like the death of a cultural icon is a perfectly good time to look at aspects of culture that person had their most prominent effect on. I see objections to that as similar to when people say “it’s not the time to talk about gun control” after a mass shooting...like, when is it a better time?

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

An event like the death of a cultural icon is a perfectly good time to look at aspects of culture that person had their most prominent effect on. I see objections to that as similar to when people say “it’s not the time to talk about gun control” after a mass shooting...like, when is it a better time?

I'm alright with waiting until someone goes on a killing spree with comics.

Plenty of people not of the archetype he's addressing with these statements don't grow up.  It's a systemic issue and doesn't have anything to do with comic books.  But he's probably not actually interested in this problem - which I believe is a problem of critical thinking.  He even tries to say people need to utilize adult thinking, which in an ideal world would be logical, critical, and skeptical, but he does not use any of these adult tactics in making his own argument.  No, his argument is simply an ad hominem meant to get laughs and viewers.  He never really explains exactly why comics are for kids and for kids only.  His fallacious logic is "kids read comics -> adults read comics -> adults are kids". His pitch would be fine as a sarcastic, sardonic comedy routine, but people are taking this shit seriously and this is the real problem with #adults.

Bill Maher is the luckest comic in the world. He's a hack comic who based his career off lame "Clinton doesn't inhale" and "George Bush is an idiot" jokes. He's 60 years old. He's never been married. Has no children. He once played a cameo in the terrible movie House 2. He has created nothing good in this world and will be quickly forgotten after he's dead. 

Stan Lee was a wonderful man who consistantly loved the fans and brought joy to millions with his creations. He will be remembered forever. 

On 1/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

Who watches Maher? Boomer liberals?

At this point? Mostly, probably.

I think he got big-ish because his format of just letting the conversation go wherever was a lot more novel when Real Time started in 2003 (I only saw snippets of Politically Incorrect so not sure how Real Time compares to Politically Incorrect) than it is now.

23 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Racist Bill Maher says racist shit... again. News at 11 :|

BTW, Will Hurd is BLACK?! I had NO IDEA and I've seen him on TV several times... I always thought he was latino or something :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Don't worry, he'll have another black guys come on and cuss him out episode and everything will be good again.

I can't find a clip of it but this reminds me of the South Park episode where Randy has to apologize to Jesse Jackson, and Token gets pissed and says "Jesse Jackson is not the emperor of black people!" 

You're probably right that something like this will happen, but it's pretty cringy. It seems very closely related to the "but I have black friends!" excuse. :silly:

29 minutes ago, Nokra said:

You're probably right that something like this will happen, but it's pretty cringy. It seems very closely related to the "but I have black friends!" excuse. :silly:

What I mean by "another" is that this is something that happened already when he called himself a house ninja. Then Ice Cube came on the next week and chewed him out.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What I mean by "another" is that this is something that happened already when he called himself a house ninja. Then Ice Cube came on the next week and chewed him out.

Yeah I've seen that episode with Ice Cube. I was just agreeing with you that something like this will probably happen again, with Maher getting Ice Cube back or something similar. I was also just adding that that kind of behavior, having Ice Cube on or whoever else he might get this time (crazy that there's a this time :silly: ) seems to me to be a variant of the "I've got black friends so I can't be racist" argument, or a similar thought process like in the episode of South Park I referenced: "hey one black person has chewed me out and he represents all black people so it's cool guys." 

Maybe that's too cynical, I don't know. But the fact that this kind of shit keeps coming up with him doesn't leave much room for giving him the benefit of the doubt, IMO. And I say this as a person who actually enjoys watching Maher's show now and then. Please don't hate me for that. :s 

7 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Maybe that's too cynical, I don't know. But the fact that this kind of shit keeps coming up with him doesn't leave much room for giving him the benefit of the doubt, IMO. And I say this as a person who actually enjoys watching Maher's show now and then. Please don't hate me for that. :s 

Personally I found the first time kind of tame, it was mostly cringey because they made a huge deal out of it. This one is perhaps a little more warranted. And I also enjoy watching the show now and then and I WILL hate you for that! :frustrated:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I've seen that episode with Ice Cube. I was just agreeing with you that something like this will probably happen again, with Maher getting Ice Cube back or something similar. I was also just adding that that kind of behavior, having Ice Cube on or whoever else he might get this time (crazy that there's a this time :silly: ) seems to me to be a variant of the "I've got black friends so I can't be racist" argument, or a similar thought process like in the episode of South Park I referenced: "hey one black person has chewed me out and he represents all black people so it's cool guys." 

During his "apology" when Ice Cube was involved, it was pretty clear he was irritated that he was getting called out over the comment to Sasse, and just wanted everyone to move on to something else because he couldn't understand why they were talking about it in the first place.

Even under the most charitable interpretation of Maher just being too dense to understand why people keep getting pissed off about these comments, you'd still expect him to at least decide that it's not worth the hassle of dealing with the backlash...if I had to guess it's probably something about viewing himself as shock jock.