Is this the worst console generation since before the NES?

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really haven't seen anything on the PS5 that couldn't easily have existed in a downgraded form for the PS4 without that much of a significant drop in overall quality.

That's inevitable with modern console transitions now.  Ever since we've had games go open world without too much compromise, the whole bigger better thing has become a moot point.  And almost no one is designing their games around physics and such that only a next-gen console could do.

(... meanwhile you have Nintendo pushing the bar forward confidently on super outdated hardware)

All said, playing FF7 Rebirth has me thinking they couldn't get close Remake's fidelity if they were still on PS4.  They clearly needed a new console to make that game.  Otherwise, the visual continuity would have dropped of a cliff.  I wouldn't want to see what a PS4 version would need to look like.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

So you think the prior years -- meaning, like going to back to 2020 -- were "bleak?" 2020 was bleak in terms of the world, but gaming was an incredible bright spot in a stacked year.

Let me say it this way cuz I am truly not attempting to ruffle feathers - I think it’s fair to say that 2020-2022, for me, were a level of magnitude less exciting than anything like over the prior decade or so if we’re talking console releases. 

I just looked up that thread last year when the board was talking about whether or not 2023 would end up being one of the most stacked years ever and I came across this response to @Paperclyp and g'damn, bold emphasis is mine :lol: 

On 6/13/2023 at 8:27 AM, SaysWho? said:

Well I think you're wrong I think it'll be competitive and others will win because here's what's releasing

Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp

Alan Wake II

Alone in the Dark

Assassin's Creed Mirage

As Sman Is Here 2

Baldur's Gate III

Cities: Skylines II

Dead Space

Diablo IV

Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons

Fairy Fingering The Fifth

Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster: FF35th Anniversary Edition
Fire Emblem Engage

Forza Motorsport

Freedom Planet 2

Hi-Fi Rush

Hogwarts Legacy

How'd They Have Sex

Horizon Call of the Mountain
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

Humanity
Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society

LayIt: Kalswifeistall
Like a Dragon: Ishin!

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Metroid Prime Remastered
MLB The Show 23

Mortal Kombat 1

Moss: Book II

Mulchtits

Octopath Traveller II

Payday 3

PHlegendsUCK

Pikmin 4

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Sonic Origins Plus

Sonovabits

Starfield

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor

Street Fighter VI

Super Bomberman R 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azur

The Legend of Zarkura: Findingfucks

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

The Talos Principle II

I see 5, maybe 7 games that'll easily get more awards and shit so fuck you.

• Haha 1

I actually can't think of a better year for gaming than 2023, at least for what I like to play.

Tears of the Kingdom, Street Fighter 6, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Dead Space Remake, Sea of Stars, FF16, Pikmin 4, RE4Make, Lies of P, Dead Island 2, Dredge, Hi-Fi Rush, Octopath 2, Cocoon, Remnant 2, Hogwarts Legacy, Theatrhythm Final Bar Line, Amnesia The Bunker, Armored Core 6, Trails into Reverie, Trails to Azure, LAD: Ishin, Jedi Survivor, Darkest Dungeon 2, Humanity, System Shock Remake (fucking awesome game, buy it), Diablo 4 I guess, BattleBit Remastered, Aliens: Dark Descent (fun and unique game!), Exoprimal (a meme game but a fun one), Starfield if you're a pervert, Phantom Liberty, Lords of the Fallen if you loved Dark Souls 2, Ghostrunner 2, Little Goody Two Shoes, You Will Die Here Tonight (love this game), Home Safety Hotline, Saturnalia, The Man Who Erased His Name, Super Mario RPG Remake, and plenty I would count but haven't played myself or am not interested in.

It was the only year I can think of where I constantly had something new to play and enjoy, with many spikes of top-tier excellence. The low points of the year still involved me playing great games, which is highly unusual.

As to what part of each "generation" these games count as part of... that seems like a weird hair splitting discussion that isn't particularly interesting to me.

I swear people say "this generation sucks" every fucking generation.

If you haven't been overloaded with great games to play maybe you just don't like gaming.

The main rule I placed on myself when putting this list together is that the games are only available on PS5.

What a stupid fucking rule!

• Like 1
  • True 1

And again I don’t think the generation “sucks” I just think relative to other generations it would rank lower on my list, imagining (again a very fleeting world) where consoles sort of exist on their own. Maybe that truly is the crux of this, the line is blurred so much that it’s not even a tangible discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@SaysWho? what was the context to that reply??

I made the thread that I thought it was the best year ever last year. 

Nah, Skillz said it might be the most stacked, and you had said you thought TOTK would sweep but not to sleep on Baldur's Gate (which I think was a good assessment at the time). Then I said my post. 

I was upset at the time that only @Keyser_Soze noticed the fake games I put on the list. :( 

EDIT: This was the post I was replying to:

On 6/13/2023 at 8:08 AM, Paperclyp said:

I think Zelda will run away with the bulk of the awards. I wouldn’t sleep on Baldur’s Gate 3 though if Larian pulls it off. Could certainly swing several outlets and like you said SF6 will be a hip pick. 

There will be a Zelda backlash - the narrative is sitting there if they wanna use it (dated hardware, been there done that, etc). 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

I can't think of a gen where I have so many choices with games. I am never in a situation where there is nothing to play. I mean I'm constantly rotating games in and out because there is so much to play. 

This gen has been amazing. 

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I can't think of a gen where I have so many choices with games. I am never in a situation where there is nothing to play. I mean I'm constantly rotating games in and out because there is so much to play. 

This gen has been amazing. 

Someone else mentioned in this thread that the slow creep of backlog over the years plays into this as well - I have to stop myself from buying new games because I have so many that I still need to play / don’t have time for. Plus so many games vying to hold your attention for more than just a play through - your live service games and whatnot. 

1. PS4 / Xbox One 

2. PS2 / Xbox / GC

3. SNES / Genesis

4. PS3 / 360

5. PS1 / 64

6. This gen 

7. NES / master system 

I think I could flip 1-2 on any given day but this is kinda where my head is at. 

360 era is easily my favorite.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears 1-3, CoD4, MW2, and more. That shit was my life in Highschool. We'd all get home at the same time, get into a party chat and play games.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

1. PS4 / Xbox One 

2. PS2 / Xbox / GC

3. SNES / Genesis

4. PS1 / 64

5. This gen 

6. NES / master system 

I think I could flip 1-2 on any given day but this is kinda where my head is at. 

PS3 and Xbox 360 not listed?

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

360 era is easily my favorite.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears 1-3, CoD4, MW2, and more. That shit was my life in Highschool. We'd all get home at the same time, get into a party chat and play games.

I agree. I think the 360 is the greatest console ever made. 

Did you think PS4/XBO was #1/#2 halfway through? 2020-2024 is the same as 2013-2017 in that gen, and as fun as it was, I think it was much harder to make a determination over whether or not it was top 2 material.

One thing the 360era had going for it is that console gamers had piss poor standards for iq and performance so they could really push a good generational leap. Myself, it’s when I moved back to pc. Partially because that’s when everything became multi platform but also because my goodness those games were smeary chugging garbage for the most part. If you play an actual ps360 game now that shit is rough.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Did you think PS4/XBO was #1/#2 halfway through? 2020-2024 is the same as 2013-2017 in that gen, and as fun as it was, I think it was much harder to make a determination over whether or not it was top 2 material.

no it was even like maybe a year into the PS5 gen where I really was comfortable saying it was better than my prior go to PS2 gen as the fave. 

Just now, stepee said:

One thing the 360era had going for it is that console gamers had piss poor standards for iq and performance so they could really push a good generational leap. Myself, it’s when I moved back to pc. Partially because that’s when everything became multi platform but also because my goodness those games were smeary chugging garbage for the most part. If you play an actual ps360 game now that shit is rough.

Though some 360 games were better than the PC version. I'm pretty sure a lot of Ubisoft games were not as good on PC like Rainbow Six Vegas. And of course notoriously the NBA 2K games were like a step down generationaly, like not having colored lighting compared to the console versions and stuff.

• True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I didn't own a PC until 2011 so the 360 was good eatin'.

One of the first games I got on PC was Dragon Age: Origins. It was like ascending to a new plane of existence.

• Hype 1

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Though some 360 games were better than the PC version. I'm pretty sure a lot of Ubisoft games were not as good on PC like Rainbow Six Vegas. And of course notoriously the NBA 2K games were like a step down generationaly, like not having colored lighting compared to the console versions and stuff.

NBA2K is still like that on pc! It’s the ps4 version currently. I didn’t play Vegas1 but Vegas2 was fine on pc. There were some bad ports still, but you just avoid those games, and play the many games that ran perfectly at 1080p/60. But my general point is that the experience of actually playing games on those consoles was probably the poorest to me of all genz. Though era wise I love the games that came out that gen.

edit: You might be just thinking of the first two years or so also as ubi games like the AC series and Far Cry were transformative how upgraded they felt over console.

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

no it was even like maybe a year into the PS5 gen where I really was comfortable saying it was better than my prior go to PS2 gen as the fave. 

I think you meant PS4. :p 

Assuming that, whoa, wtf did you play that first year that made you think it was better than PS2's???? PS4's up there for me as well, but its first year was much drier. PS5's first year was loaded, especially in comparison.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

edit: You might be just thinking of the first two years or so also as ubi games like the AC series and Far Cry were transformative how upgraded they felt over console.

Yeah the early days. I'm pretty sure some modes were console only as well like in regards to Splinter Cell. I can't remember what off the top of my head though.

I haven't been into gaming nearly as much since this generation started, and I can't tell if it's because I agree with the premise of the article, or if it just seems that way because I'm less interested in games. Chicken, egg, etc. The newest thing that I play with any frequency is Apex Legends. I've dabbled in some other things but I just keep going back to older staples whenever I want to play.

Which sucks because for consoles the XboSex is pretty awesome.

• True 1

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I haven't been into gaming nearly as much since this generation started, and I can't tell if it's because I agree with the premise of the article, or if it just seems that way because I'm less interested in games. Chicken, egg, etc. The newest thing that I play with any frequency is Apex Legends. I've dabbled in some other things but I just keep going back to older staples whenever I want to play.

Which sucks because for consoles the XboSex is pretty awesome.

To me a lot of games just don't have that innovation I'm craving. We're drowning in sequels and established franchises. You either want them or you don't. And if you don't, it doesn't leave you with a whole lot in the console space.

I know this is console specific so other reasons why gaming is better than ever don’t apply (mobile gaming for what it’s worth is at its best with AA, netflix games, and good gamepad options while we also now have VR gaming and mixed reality gaming, and pc gaming continues to roar foward) but the indie scene alone puts consoles now at least on equal footing as last gen and way ahead of 360era which kicked off the indie scene but didn’t have as many quality releases yet.

We lose a lot of genres and types of games I love through the years as they no longer are deemed big money makers, and the indie scene has been vital in keeping those types of games alive. Platformers are my favorite genre and they all but died during the 360 era and really started coming back to where I had frequent new ones to play last gen. I’d say right now both 2D and 3D platformer states have never been better due to indie games.

Also Switch is probably my favorite console anyway so idk what this is all about.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I think you meant PS4. :p 

Assuming that, whoa, wtf did you play that first year that made you think it was better than PS2's???? PS4's up there for me as well, but its first year was much drier. PS5's first year was loaded, especially in comparison.

No I meant I needed a year after the ps4 was kinda done to let it sink in how much I enjoyed that gen. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

No I meant I needed a year after the ps4 was kinda done to let it sink in how much I enjoyed that gen. 

Same will happen to you after the PS5 is done. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Same will happen to you after the PS5 is done. 

I really don’t think so because I’m so PC centric now. The PS5 barely gets turned on aside from Helldivers anymore, and I can’t foresee a lot of games I’m gonna get for it from here. Part of this is like, ok god of war is good but I am nowhere NEAR as high on it as it seems like most people, the last of us 1 is one of my fave games ever but I have essentially 0 interest in 2. I’m not a big fan of superhero games at least not in the way Spider-Man is designed, I just find it to be mostly a bunch of busy work, stuff like that. Like Sony’s studios aren’t working on stuff that appeals to me as much as they used to. 

But even independent of that I think it’s a relatively weak showing so far. Again if you disagree strongly and care to argue I would encourage you to rank the gens and see where it lands for you, cuz I dunno it’s certainly not beating anything from at least PS2 onward for me yet. 

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I really don’t think so because I’m so PC centric now. The PS5 barely gets turned on aside from Helldivers anymore, and I can’t foresee a lot of games I’m gonna get for it from here. Part of this is like, ok god of war is good but I am nowhere NEAR as high on it as it seems like most people, the last of us 1 is one of my fave games ever but I have essentially 0 interest in 2. I’m not a big fan of superhero games at least not in the way Spider-Man is designed, I just find it to be mostly a bunch of busy work, stuff like that. Like Sony’s studios aren’t working on stuff that appeals to me as much as they used to. 

But even independent of that I think it’s a relatively weak showing so far. Again if you disagree strongly and care to argue I would encourage you to rank the gens and see where it lands for you, cuz I dunno it’s certainly not beating anything from at least PS2 onward for me yet. 

I have nothing to argue because you make fair points about your gaming tastes. I absolutely love every single Sony first party games so the PS5 is fuckin nice for me. 

But I get where you're coming from.