Mike Ybarra - former president of Blizzard - posted a truly fantastic idea this past weekend that simply must be shared

And by "truly fantastic", I mean so goddamned bloody stupid that I'm actually embarrassed for the man that it actually crossed whatever the hell he has that passes for his brain:

I've thought about this idea for a while, as a player, since I've been diving into single player games lately. 

When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was. At the end of the game, I've often thought "I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me every second". 

Games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BG3, Elden Ring, etc. I know $70 is already a lot, but it's an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special.

I know most will dislike this idea. :) BTW, I realize we are tired of "tipping" in everything else - but I view this different from a pressure to tip type scenario many face and give feedback on.

Yeah, Mike - I have zero doubt that you have thought about it for a while in the context of "What's a potential way that the actual salaries that developers are paid could be reduced?  Hmmmm...oh wait - what do they do in the restaurant service industry again?"

Now, I could see this being a way to throw a little extra support to small independent teams who self-publish relatively "minor" indie titles, but if you think for a minute that I'm gonna "tip" for AAA/AAAA titles, then I've got several bridges around the world that I'd like to sell ya!

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I only support this "idea" for much smaller devs. I have had this thought in my head though when beating amazing games ngl. But I'm an idiot. 

It's one thing for a player to have this idea, but when it comes from someone at the executive level, it only really has one objective: reduction of actual compensation.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's one thing for a player to have this idea, but when it comes from someone at the executive level, it only really has one objective: reduction of actual compensation.

Very true.