Which dairy alternatives do you like, if any?

Nokra

Which dairy alternatives do you like?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which dairy alternatives do you like?

I recently was told that my cholesterol was a bit high, though not to the point of needing medication. Looking into it a bit more, I learned that one factor contributing towards high cholesterol can often be full-fat dairy, such as the half and half I was putting in my daily coffee or the whole milk I was using on cereal. :blush: So I switched to oat milk and I found that I quite like it. In particular, the Kirkland Signature oat milk from Costco is pretty good, IMO.

Anyway... what alternatives do you all like, if any?

I can't do oats on a sustained basis. Flares my UC. At home I have lactose-free milk, oot and aboot I'll take soy or almond, but barring that or a huge upcharge for non-dairy generally I'll just take regular milk and a lactase pill.

I don’t really guzzle milk, but I use whole milk in my cereal and such. I’ve tried almond and coconut milk and while they’re fine, they just can’t replace dairy for me. 

I do take the lowest dose statin for cholesterol, but it’s kept my numbers well within normal for years. It’s not something I worry much about. 

I love almond milk but it is obscenely disastrous for the environment so I generally don't use it. Generally I'll use oat or coconut depending on what I'm doing with it.

Edit: to be fair, almond milk is not as bad for the environment as dairy farming

Almond milk is my favorite alternative but I understand the water demand for it is quite extreme, so I can do oat milk. 

However, I will say I primarily drink cow's milk. I don't drink a lot of it, I just enjoy it with like a sweet (cookie or what have you). I also use it for my lattes. 

I have a son with dairy, nut and egg allergies. So, we have a lot of Soy in the house. I, personally, can’t stand the stuff. 
Oat milk has a good flavour, but almost zero creaminess. 
So it’s only dairy for me. While I have cream in my coffee, I only really use milk in cooking. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I use whole milk in my cereal and oatmeal. Only time I drink it is if I mix in some Hershey's syrup or Nestle Quik strawberry. 

I love me some Hershey as it's local to me and I grew up with it. However, Hershey's syrup doesn't make good chocolate milk at all. I drink this chocolate milk that is from a fresh local dairy and its hands down the best chocolate milk I've ever drank. 

I hate real milk as a drink and as a creamer but I do enjoy me some Oatmilk or Almondmilk in my coffee from time to time, though I usually just go black. But if I’m doing a special treat sugar something coffee drink it’s going to have one of those two in it. Other exception is I’ll get soy milk but only in an iced chai tea latte. That drink just tastes better with soy, but otherwise I don’t like that either.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

I hate real milk as a drink and as a creamer but I do enjoy me some Oatmilk or Almondmilk in my coffee from time to time, though I usually just go black. But if I’m doing a special treat sugar something coffee drink it’s going to have one of those two in it. Other exception is I’ll get soy milk but only in an iced chai tea latte. That drink just tastes better with soy, but otherwise I don’t like that either.

Even though I absolutely love milk I always drink my coffee black. I drink two cups every morning. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I love me some Hershey as it's local to me and I grew up with it. However, Hershey's syrup doesn't make good chocolate milk at all. I drink this chocolate milk that is from a fresh local dairy and its hands down the best chocolate milk I've ever drank. 

I love the stuff in milk. It doesn’t make it smooth and creamy but the flavor of Hershey’s is fantastic.  

• True 1