Sony President indicates desire to "aggressively" improve margins by releasing first-party titles to other platforms

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I remember when Ubisoft reported that Nintendo told them releasing a second Mario and Rabbids game was a mistake in the same generation and they should have waited. Nintendo was right and the game sold poorly even though it’s way better than the first. There is no company in this segment that knows its market better than Nintendo at the moment 

And when it comes to things like merchandise/amiibos/games fans desperately want (METRIOD 4) Nintendo always leaves them wanting more. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wish Nintendo shared game budgets. I'd love to know how much a big JRPG like Xenoblade Chronicles cost to make.

probably more than some of their other games, but it’s a cost that’s easy to absorb when you have other titles just printing money. Xenoblade is an interesting case too, because even if it didn’t have the same margins as something like Zelda, they leveraged that team to help realize BotW and TotK. So, money well spent all around. 

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, Mario Kart 8 did sell like 8.5m  copies on the Wii U. Sure, nowhere near 60m copies it's sold in the Switch, but I don't think Nintendo considers 8.5m sold for any of their games not a success.

That is true.  But I'd imagine a lot of those sales were as pack-ins, considering that it sold better than any Gamecube game (and that console had roughly twice the install base by the end).

Both those consoles are pretty much what happens if Nintendo only appeals to its core base.  The Wii U even less than the Cube though.  And the Switch was them at their full potential.  65.5 million Mario Kart 8's vs 8.5 million.

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It did, but even the 3DS had a rough start with a more marketable feature (glassless 3D) because the 1st party games weren’t there in any meaningful way.

The 3DS started selling much better once they did the big price reduction 6 months after launch (I think it went from $250 to $170?)

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That is true.  But I'd imagine a lot of those sales were as pack-ins, considering that it sold better than any Gamecube game (and that console had roughly twice the install base by the end).

Both those consoles are pretty much what happens if Nintendo only appeals to its core base.  The Wii U even less than the Cube though.  And the Switch was them at their full potential.  65.5 million Mario Kart 8's vs 8.5 million.

Full potential, because they weren't splitting their focus. The Switch add a "home console" is a successful turn after the Wii U, but the Switch is also just the next generation of a long line of very successful handheld consoles. We can talk about Nintendo's rough generations, but they've also never had anything more than a year or two where they didn't have some piece of hardware printing money.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Nintendo is a mix of genius with at times falling ass backwards into the “right” decision. 

This is true, but I don't think this is true on the business end. Nintendo is a very well run business. They might not focus much on trying to inflate stock prices, but they do have a good understanding of their long term goals and do pretty well to not have to layoff devs while also maintaining industry leading employee retention rates. Nintendo has what? Like a 99% retention rate with the average length of employment more than a dozen years? There is definitely something in the water there.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Full potential, because they weren't splitting their focus. The Switch add a "home console" is a successful turn after the Wii U, but the Switch is also just the next generation of a long line of very successful handheld consoles. We can talk about Nintendo's rough generations, but they've also never had anything more than a year or two where they didn't have some piece of hardware printing money.

I think it's a better situation for us all to own a single Nintendo platform at least, and it simplifies development for them. 

Nintendo was still riding high with software and hardware sales during the Nintendo DS and Wii era.  They still sold 60+ million units of Mario Kart, split between platforms.  So I don't think you can strictly say they're at full potential because they're focused on one machine.  Though the gaming landscape back then was obviously very different, and they struck lightning in a bottle twice.

Reggie‘s book is an interesting read, especially during his time at Nintendo. The Japanese are STUBBORN. 

The Wii would have failed here if he hadn’t PUSHED for Wii Sports to be packaged with the system in America.

Sony has said the following this week:

PS5 is now entering latter stage of life (historically this is Sony style language that signals 24 months to a new console)

No new 1st party AAA titles in 2024

Are we thinking PS6 in 2026? Does this pour cold water on PS5 Pro?  

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

PS5 is now entering latter stage of life (historically this is Sony style language that signals 24 months to a new console)

Just a note that they said no new major franchise titles until end of FY - so no Uncharted 5, GOW 3, etc - which basicialy means no new Ghosts title since I don’t think anyone else could be ready - but there could still be new AAA IP in 24/early 25. 

And maybe ps5 is entering its later stage because ps5 pro is coming out :P

I could see this being a shorter generation, like 2027 - but they have to have the machine ready in time and affordable parts that provide enough value to customers to want to upgrade ready to manufacture. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Just a note that they said no new major franchise titles until end of FY - so no Uncharted 5, GOW 3, etc - which basically means no new Ghosts title since I don’t think anyone else could be ready - but there could still be new AAA IP in 24/early 25. 

And maybe ps5 is entering its later stage because ps5 pro is coming out :P

I could see this being a shorter generation, like 2027 - but they have to have the machine ready in time and affordable parts that provide enough value to customers to want to upgrade ready to manufacture. 

So your saying we're a getting Jumping Flash?! 

• Hype 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The launch date could be as early as 2026 -- but I think 2027 or 2028 is more likely.  Typically console makers make the most money at the end of the generation, so I would think that Sony would want to extend the generation, rather than shorten it.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The launch date could be as early as 2026 -- but I think 2027 or 2028 is more likely.  Typically console makers make the most money at the end of the generation, so I would think that Sony would want to extend the generation, rather than shorten it.

True, its just weird for Sony to be referring to PS5 as "latter stage", considering they like to overlap hardware generations. I consider PS5 to be mid life cycle. 

Just now, stepee said:

It depends on what they mean by major :P Jumping Flash VR is such an obvious thing it annoys me they won’t do it.

Same thing with Warhawk and Twisted Metal! Vehicle combat and VR are made for one another. Also, where are all the mech games?!

• True 1

And if Sony wants to maximize profits on pc - maybe try putting their VR games there and add support for pc to psvr2 and release a new Astro Bot and a remaster of the Original - that would maximize the FUCK out of their profits - or maybe just make me happy but either way. Also Warhawk VR ahhh so annoying they bother making this amazing headset and just sit on it.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

True, its just weird for Sony to be referring to PS5 as "latter stage", considering they like to overlap hardware generations. I consider PS5 to be mid life cycle. 

I think it is dangerous to put too much emphasis in the nuance of language, particularly when it's probably translated from Japanese.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would personally be surprised to see it before 2027. 

I think they need to milk this hardware for as long as they can. Not that it’s cutting edge tech or anything I just don’t think the masses care THAT much about an upgrade yet and won’t for at least 2-3 more years. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I think they need to milk this hardware for as long as they can. Not that it’s cutting edge tech or anything I just don’t think the masses care THAT much about an upgrade yet and won’t for at least 2-3 more years. 

Oh, I agree! I'm just a little curious why they are talking bout the PS5 like its 6 years old. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Plus the PS5 hasn't been fully utilized yet. There is still a lot to see from this machine. Especially with UE5.

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

And if Sony wants to maximize profits on pc - maybe try putting their VR games there and add support for pc to psvr2 and release a new Astro Bot and a remaster of the Original - that would maximize the FUCK out of their profits - or maybe just make me happy but either way. Also Warhawk VR ahhh so annoying they bother making this amazing headset and just sit on it.

Sony could make me really happy and release a standalone VR headset for gaming and wireless PS/PC play. I'd love to see something that's price competitive not from Meta.

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Plus the PS5 hasn't been fully utilized yet. There is still a lot to see from this machine. Especially with UE5.

Actually UE 5 would prefer 32GB of RAM and a beefier processor to strut its stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh, I agree! I'm just a little curious why they are talking bout the PS5 like its 6 years old. 

Seemed like damage control to me but I agree it is unusual. I had to look up the ps5 launch date actually. Just over 3 years old. I just don’t feel like there’s much out for it yet even though I know there is. I don’t think their big games have been hitting for me so it feels like it just launched. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yea it's coming down to really having one piece of hardware and playing everything on that. Besides fuckin Nintendo. 

This is really where the industry should be heading... game consoles should be basically like TV's or DVD players. Different companies could make them, but they play everything (except Nintendo). Console exclusves hurt the business more than help, especially with game development being so expensive. Imagine if Sony movies and music ONLY worked on Sony devices... it's a stupid business model.

• True 1
  • Hype 1

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is really where the industry should be heading... game consoles should be basically like TV's or DVD players. Different companies could make them, but they play everything (except Nintendo). Console exclusves hurt the business more than help, especially with game development being so expensive. Imagine if Sony movies and music ONLY worked on Sony devices... it's a stupid business model.

If someone’s going to charge for online play and collect 30% royalties, it might as well be them.

So it follows that you make competitive moves to draw/keep more people to your platform…