Anyone else excited that leaf blower bans are becoming more common place?

stepee

They annoy the fucking shit out of me. It’s way too rare being able to enjoy being outside and not hearing that awful racket especially since the noise travels for a thousand miles and everyone does it during different times of the week/day.

And it annoys me how it’s year round and regardless of if there are a lot of leaves on the ground or not. There’s like 5 leafs on the ground and they are just going around blowing them to a different place. It’s completely worthless and beyond the noise pollution they pollute the air as well!

I get it’s someone’s job around here doing these apartment buildings and I don’t want anyone to lose their employment but just give the guy a fucking rake and a bucket.

I’m glad people are finally wising up to what a net qol loss these things are for cities and hopefully gas powered leaf blowers will be outright banned in most places in short order.

• True 1

Leaf blowers are awful. Due to living in north NJ, you get a few months after fall and before spring where you typically don’t hear them though recently I have seen them used on light snowfall. Luckily they started to be ban in my area. 

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

My complex uses them for cleaning up the grass after a cut. I litteraly don't hear anything. 

Then they don’t use gas powered leaf blowers there :P

Its not like something you can miss

• True 1

My city went backward from a complete leafblower ban to allowing electric blowers, with a 6 month transition that's essentially a holiday on all leafblowers. :/

Besides the noise they're absurdly terrible for air quality. They kick up toxic crap like tire dust and animal shit into the air that you then get to inhale, and it lingers for hours.

Growing up in a somewhat country area of Pennsylvania, a gas powered leaf blower was practically a necessity with all of the trees in the fall. So I don’t have any hate toward a gas blower. The noise doesn’t bother me in my neighborhood either. Maybe in a small town or big city the sound bounces all over the buildings or something?  I don’t know, it just never bothered me.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

And I always lose my mind at how often these idiot gardeners are blasting the things at completely empty sidewalks.

Ok that I will definitely agree with. There is a mall in my area with a sidewalk way out along the road. When I drive by in the morning in the summer there is barely anything there and the guy has the blower at full throttle just walking along, probably at least a 1/4 mile stretch. Just blasting away.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

And I always lose my mind at how often these idiot gardeners are blasting the things at completely empty sidewalks.

This is the shit that gets me. There just aren’t a lot of leaves here so it’s just blowing nothing. It’s making the noise and polluting the air just for the sake of it. 

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is the shit that gets me. There just aren’t a lot of leaves here so it’s just blowing nothing. It’s making the noise and polluting the air just for the sake of it. 

My neighbor pays to have their yard cut every week. They don’t get the grass bagged but they also don’t want clunks of grass. So the landscaper walks around the yard with the backpack blower on and blows the entire yard.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ehhhhh - I'm not in favor of "banning" them, but I'm totally fine with restricting their operation between certain hours so that you're not subjected to one being used at 7am.

The risks come not only from the noise and the chemical emissions that two-stroke engines produce, but also from the dust they stir up. “That dust can contain pollen, mold, animal feces, heavy metals and chemicals from herbicides and pesticides,” notes Sara Peach of Yale Climate Connections. All this adds up to increased risk of lung cancer, asthma, cardiovascular disease, premature birth and other life-threatening conditions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/opinion/leaf-blowers-california-emissions.html

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’ve never given it a thought. Don’t have one. If people use them in my neighborhood, I probably don’t notice any difference from the sound of mowing or whatever. 

Well you live in a flyover state according to @TUFKAK (Although Alma is there. Who wouldn't want to visit Alma?) and probably don't have los hombres doing the landscaping in your neighborhood so I think you're excluded from this particular conversation.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you live in a flyover state according to @TUFKAK (Although Alma is there. Who wouldn't want to visit Alma?) and probably don't have los hombres doing the landscaping in your neighborhood so I think you're excluded from this particular conversation.

I don’t really understand part of that, but there are definitely brown immigrants doing most of the landscaping and such here. 

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

She knows 😂

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm saying I hold Alma Arkansas in such high regard that it shouldn't be considered a flyover state.

Unless it was something else you didn't understand.

I don’t know what the deal is with Alma or what you’d even know it exists. Literally the only thing I know about it is Morgan Nick was kidnapped there and never found. 

• Sad 1

I love them so much. Had two! Gave one to a coworker. Every spring and fall I get the thumbs up. However, I use a rake too and only use it maybe 4-5 times a year. Once in the spring as a big clean up and twice nearing the end of fall. Once to clean the pool cover.

I love the sound waking me up in the morning. It’s like a call to arms 

• Guillotine 1
  • Hype 1

The annoyance to me is the constant change in RPM and whine of the motor. Lawnmowers don’t bother me because it’s constant. Your brain can tune it out.

Also I often see leaf blowers used to blow anything but leaves. Had some snow last night and see leaf blowers cleaning side walks. I get my yard sprayed for mosquitoes and it uses a modified leaf blower to spray the chemicals. 

Things I use my leaf blower for:

* Cleaning up the shit ton of maple keys that fall off my trees

* Moving leaves to the curb for leaf collection

*  Cleaning out garage in spring/fall

*  Used it for putting in the polymeric sand in my patio

So maybe 4 times a year?  Don't use it often, but it would be hard to get everything done without one.

• Guillotine 1
  • Hype 1

I think they annoying ones are those that are used by the professional landscapers.

Using a landscaper was much more common when I was in Michigan than here -- everyone in my neighbourhood used them there, no one does here.  (Probably because of the bigger properties, and the fact it was so cheap there, and so expensive here.)

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I honestly can't remember the last time I heard a leaf blower and got annoyed by it.

@stepee doesn’t mind the homeless fentanyl junkies shitting in the middle of the streets but goddamn draws the line with leaf blowers.