I ate lasagna for Thanksgiving.

Bacon

On 11/23/2023 at 5:55 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Lasagna is whole helluva lot better than "traditional" Thanksgiving food anyway!

My favorite Thanksgiving food is the short ribs my mom makes, but I certainly wouldn't complain about a good Thanksgiving lasagna.

I like being able to buy some turkey drumsticks and thighs this time of year but I definitely don't need to be getting involved with an entire bird when those are the only good parts anyhow.

8 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I need this kind of revolution for Christmas, so end up having a nut roast which, despite great intentions, tends to suck. Lasagne (but a very decadent one) would be so much better.

Idea. I can't remember if you're vegan or just vegetarian, but hear me out, I think I have a good idea for a vegetarian holiday casserole (lasagna is a casserole, fight me)

Quick vegetarian holiday lasagna:

- wonton wraps (if you can find them in your area, I find they work just as well if not better than dried lasagna noodles, plus they're always vegan and they don't need to be soaked)

- Instead of marinara sauce, make a mushroom/cranberry duxelles (I'd estimate 3 parts mushroom to 1 part cranberry, you'll need to slightly up the salt content)

- 1 layer of  portobello for texture, unless you don't like portobello, in which case.... don't do that. I would probably actually use zucchini, personally

- Ricotta (whether or not ricotta belongs in traditional lasagna is a highly contentious debate, I say go for it, especially in this context, bechamel will be too goopy)

Start at the bottom with a layer of your mushroom/cranberry duxelles

Put down a layer of wonton wraps - they can overlap for full coverage if necessary

Put down a layer of either sliced portobello or zucchini - if you're going zucchini, you'll have to par cook it first. I would suggest broiling, otherwise it'll get soggy

Alternate between duxelles/"noodles"/ricotta/mushroom and/or zucchini  in whichever order you like

Top with a layer of fresh grated mozzarella and a sprinkle of parmesan and/or pecorino

For the duxelles, make sure to put some sage and rosemary in it for extra holiday flavor.

I don't have a duxelles recipe memorized, but it's not hard, It's just mushrooms, onions, garlic, butter, spices, and in this case cranberry. Don't go nuts on the cranberry otherwise you'll end up with really shitty cranberry jam. I suppose you could omit the butter if you're going vegan, but I haven't tried it and I wouldn't use just anything as a fat substitute (and you'll need a fat substitute)

My dad still likes having a more traditional thanks giving with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and the like. But Christmas is where we got the parents to deviate from normal menus. We’ve had pizza, tacos & burritos, and max and cheese, or grilled cheese and tomato soup in past years. 

the goal was less time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning, more time as a family together doing stuff. What we ate was less important than us being together. And the parents like the less stressful dinner on Christmas now.