David Filoni promoted to "Chief Creative Officer" at Lucasfilm, will determine the overall direction of Star Wars going forward

VARIETY.COM

Dave Filoni is now Lucasfilm's chief creative officer for Star Wars.

Dave Filoni, who has overseen “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “Rebels,” “The Mandalorian,” “Ahsoka” and is the master of all things in a galaxy far, far way, now has a new role as Lucasfilm: chief creative officer. He still holds the title of executive vice president, which he received in 2020.

Filoni announced his chief creative officer title in an interview with Vanity Fair on Tuesday. He was already an executive producer of all live-action “Star Wars” shows on Disney+ and had been tapped to direct a film weaving together all of the TV storylines, but he will now take a more involved role with the future of “Star Wars.”

“In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into it, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways,” he said. “In this new role, it’s opened up to basically everything that’s going on. When we’re planning the future of what we’re doing now, I’m involved at the inception phase.”

“I’m not telling people what to do,” he added. “But I do feel I’m trying to help them tell the best story that they want to tell. I need to be a help across the galaxy here, like a part of a Jedi Council almost.”

The Vanity Fair article:

WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

Creator Dave Filoni, Rosario Dawson, Hayden Christensen and Natasha Liu Bordizzo discuss how their show altered the galactic landscape.

Dave Filoni has a new mission in the Star Wars universe after guiding Rosario Dawson’s Force-wielding hero to distant celestial realms in the first season of Ahsoka. The writer-producer-director, who started out working alongside George Lucas on the animated Clone Wars show nearly two decades ago, has ascended to a new position at Lucasfilm—one that will give him input into all the galactic storytelling going forward.

“Now I’m what’s called chief creative officer of Lucasfilm,” Filoni tells Vanity Fair, which places him into the development process much earlier and in a much more expansive capacity than his previous advisory duties. “In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways.” 

Filoni will now work more directly with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and alongside Carrie Beck, a veteran producer turned head of development, to originate and shepherd the next generation of Star Wars shows and movies. After spending many years involved in the creation of Star Wars animation, including the Rebels series, he became increasingly involved in live-action as a producer with Jon Favreau on the The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. “In this new role, it’s opened up to basically everything that’s going on,” Filoni says. “When we’re planning the future of what we’re doing now, I’m involved at the inception phase.”

11 hours ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

d+ star wars doesnt have a hit to miss ratio any better or worse than the film series soooo whatever i guess

There has been 1 good movie (Rogue One), two mediocre ones (Force Awakens, The Last Skywalker) and two complete disasters (Solo, The Last Jedi)  under Disney.

Filoni was involved in The Clone Wars (excellent), Rebels (excellent, presently midway through season 3), Bad Batch (excellent), The Mandalorian (mostly excellent), Book of Boba Fett (mediocre) and Ahsoka (haven't seen yet).

His hit rate is so much higher than the movie side.

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

After Ahsoka and its cartoonish-ness I can't say I'm excited about this news.

Ahsoka's problem is that Filoni wrote all the episodes. Filoni's ideas and characters and direction are on point for what Star Wars need to be. But he needs a writer's room.

What's irritating is some of the best Clone Wars episodes (Phantom Apprentice/Shattered/Victory and Death) were solely written by him. In Rebels, he and Henry Gilroy teamed up for some bangers too (Jedi Night/Twin Suns).

• True 1

40 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Ahsoka's problem is that Filoni wrote all the episodes. Filoni's ideas and characters and direction are on point for what Star Wars need to be. But he needs a writer's room.

What's irritating is some of the best Clone Wars episodes (Phantom Apprentice/Shattered/Victory and Death) were solely written by him. In Rebels, he and Henry Gilroy teamed up for some bangers too (Jedi Night/Twin Suns).

Yeah but a lot of the goofier ideas are his too.

True. Like the WBW. It's out there, but I think it works. That's honestly one of the things about Ahsoka that work the best. 

Ahsoka's problem is that characters won't talk to each other about the thing that's bothering them. And that's an old old old fundamental problem with poorly done media. 

We've basically been getting the Filoni take on Star Wars for a while now, and I'm at peace with it, even if it's not super exciting. For better and worse he's basically the closest thing we have to Lucas.

I don't think that the creative success of Andor means that all Star Wars should become Andor, but I do think it showed that Star Wars can find success when not telling the typical Star Wars stories that Filoni seems keen on telling.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

We've basically been getting the Filoni take on Star Wars for a while now, and I'm at peace with it, even if it's not super exciting. For better and worse he's basically the closest thing we have to Lucas.

I don't think that the creative success of Andor means that all Star Wars should become Andor, but I do think it showed that Star Wars can find success when not telling the typical Star Wars stories that Filoni seems keen on telling.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Filoni has the exact same issue as Lucas: he has okay ideas but has no idea how to make good product. Filoni's modern stuff isn't bad, but it's not great, either. Filoni should do what Lucas should have done: write story treatments and then let others pick them apart and make the product.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you two. Filoni will be fine, but it's a boring and straightforward choice. Hopefully other films and shows with a non-Filoni tone like Andor still get made under his creative leadership. But he seems to want to MCU this thing, which I don't want.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah I want Star Wars to do interesting things like Andor and TLJ. Not pander. Filoni’s stuff is Panderville IMO

On 11/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

There has been 1 good movie (Rogue One), two mediocre ones (Force Awakens, The Last Skywalker) and two complete disasters (Solo, The Last Jedi)  under Disney.

I still find it hilarious that people continue to refer to Last Jedi as a disaster or a failure. It made $1.333B in the box office alone. Solo is the only Star Wars movie in the Disney era to fail to make $1B, at under $400M total box office. Last Jedi is the second most successful Star Wars movie under Disney. Whether you like or don’t like the stories and story telling in the movies it doesn’t change that Disney is 4/5 on movies being a hit. 80% is fairly strong. 

but if the sequel trilogy have shown us fans anything, narratively there needs to be a single vision, a plan when there is a multi-movie series using different writer/director teams. BUT fans also need to shut the fuck and allow creators the freedom to entertain them. Nobody became a Star Wars fan with a preconceived notion of who Luke and Han should have been. George didn’t make the sequels worrying about whether fans would think proto-Darth Vader was whiny and not badass enough. How entitled is it for us that we expect film makers to make the exact movie we want and we’re so inflexible that we can’t find any enjoyment in something we’re a fan of unless it panders to us? It’s ok to not like something, but we shouldn’t be so inflexible we won’t allow creative people to try and deliver something new. 

Dave Filloni isn’t infallible, but no hope what he brings to the franchise a whole is some stability where if you have a project with multiple writers and directors, there’s a single vision for how it all is supposed to be price together and into the greater whole. That being said Filloni isn’t the strictest in adherence to canon. He doesn’t go out of his way to break canon, but he also won’t make small tweaks if he thinks doing so will lend to a more interesting story he’s trying to tell in the moment. He sees Star Wars stories like camp fire stories, and as such they may be different depending on who’s telling the story. 

• Halal 4

33 minutes ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

witnessing the fracturing of stability in the mcu since endgame as Disney has rapidly expanded the scope and output of marvel content makes me much more wary of the singular vision concept 

just hire talented filmmakers to make great movies and tv shows

MCU is a little different. Now that they have this successful shared universe they are so afraid of letting any revenue escape them, and they are also strictly binding themselves to it. They’re basically recreating the comic book industry in live action. Something that becomes almost incomprehensible and so dense for the average consumer that it is dying under its own weight. They won’t let the MCU go because they think they can get back to Infinity War and End Game levels of money and pop culture again, and because of how familiar the world is with this cinematic universe it’s less risky to continue in this universe rather than hit the reset button or making isolated stories. 

Filoni in the hat always scrambles my little lizard brain into thinking its Robert Rodriguez.

The choice could go either way, at this point with “fandoms” always finding an agenda or ulterior flaw in everything it seems very few products no matter how good can be universally accepted.. specially anything that even smells Disney… heres hoping for the best

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Absolutely never.

Perhaps some of that media was a bit of its time, but I think Star Wars overall works best when it's big, operatic, and its heroes are good guys tempted by evil, and the bad guys keep manufacturers of mustache twirling wax flush with cash. The whole, "there are shades of grey, man," stuff works well in a series like Andor and I wouldn't want that to be anything other than what it is.