The Last of Us Part II Remastered (PS5 | $10 upgrade path) - "Grounded II: Making The Last of Us Part II" documentary released

SaysWho?

I don't see it looking dramatically better, it'll run at a higher resolution and look a little sharper.   The game already looked better than it seemed to have a right to on base PS4(the only place I've played it)  I was seriously impressed.

I'll likely do the upgrade.

10 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I don't see it looking dramatically better, it'll run at a higher resolution and look a little sharper.   The game already looked better than it seemed to have a right to on base PS4(the only place I've played it)  I was seriously impressed.

I'll likely do the upgrade.

God it's so nice at 60fps. The game still looks absolutely stunning. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us Part II Remastered (PS5 | $10 upgrade path | 19 January 2024) - "No Return" (roguelike survival mode) trailer
  • 2 weeks later...

Hands-on previews of the "No Return" mode:

WWW.IGN.COM

Surprise! TLOU 2 Remastered is packing an unexpected treat.

The premise of No Return is simple: you pick a character with a unique starting loadout and work your way through a branching tree of randomized fights, earning resources to buy items, upgrade your skills, and improve your weapons along the way. If you can complete five encounters you’ll get the chance to take on a boss, but dying once ends the whole run like a proper roguelike. This setup gives The Last of Us Part 2’s tense and nuanced stealth combat an excellent platform on which to shine, toying with it in creative new ways.

Each arena is pulled from a section of the base game, but the enemies you’ll face there and the objectives you have to complete are all different. The two encounter types I was able to try were called Assault and Hunted - the former pits you against waves of enemies from one of four different factions, be that WLF soldiers or the ravenous infected, while the latter flips the script and asks you to survive against an endless onslaught of them for a certain amount of time. Trying to not just make it through these encounters, but do so while hoovering up crafting supplies and using items resourcefully to set you up for future stages is a lot of fun.

The fights themselves can feel a little similar within each mode, but there’s a whole host of systems that aim to push you out of your combat comfort zone during them. For starters, the character you use, weapons you have, and skills you’ve unlocked can drastically influence how you play. On one run as Abby, I unlocked an upgrade that healed me every time I dealt melee damage, letting me satisfyingly brute force my way through many fights and incentivizing me to invest in even more close-quarters tech. Meanwhile, a run with Ellie (the other character unlocked by default) let me buy a hunting rifle from the shop between encounters early on, pushing me more toward taking longer shots. In contrast, Lev starts with a bow for a focus leaning toward stealth, while Yara actually also has Lev there to help out on every mission.

That said, the one place No Return did leave me a little wanting was in its run length. I loved that there were actual build paths to explore, each with a different gameplay flavor to discover and tailor your playstyle toward for a given run - but there also didn’t seem like a whole lot of time to really let those builds develop. With only five trips back to base before the boss, strategies have to come together quickly, and then your run is already wrapping up as soon as they do. That could make a run easier to casually dip into on an afternoon, but if this were a standalone roguelike, this encounter tree feels like it would probably be the first of multiple in a row to allow more time to really hone your build.

No Return also offers an impressive amount of customization across all of these features. There are seven difficulty modes (including a customizable one), a daily run option, and even a custom run mode that lets you fine tune what types of enemies, missions, mods, and more you’ll come across. As an example of how nuts things can get, I made a custom run that maxed out the mod cap to six at once, and some of the resulting encounters were bonkers. One random stage felt like I had been transported to literal hell, putting a neon red photo mode filter over everything, making it rain spore clouds from the sky, lighting enemies on fire with my melee attacks, and then causing them to drop bombs when they died. It was ridiculous.

This sort of arcadey, non-canon action stands in contrast to The Last of Us 2’s deadly serious campaign, but it also provides a compelling vehicle for its combat to thrive beyond those story-driven fights. It’s not a wildly deep roguelike, but it is more intricate than I would have expected going in, leaving me excited to see how its other characters and encounter types might shake things up further. At the very least, it’s a great excuse for you to savagely choke the life out of even more unsuspecting soldiers after the credits have rolled.

The Last of Us 2's roguelike mode is not like other roguelike modes. In my mind, this is a genre defined by a 'pea-shooter to power-fantasy' curve – ideally, from a rough start, you'll see the tools and upgrades you gather come together throughout a run to let you sweep aside any challengers. But The Last of Us Part 2 is not a power fantasy, and its roguelike mode is no exception.

The mode, dubbed No Return, lifts your choice of characters from much of the game's central cast and places them in a series of combat arenas. Each character has a slightly different playstyle – I start with Abby, who is granted a burst of healing after every melee kill, and later play as stealth-focused archer Lev. Tommy goes loud at long range with his signature rifle, while the likes of Ellie and Manny have fewer tools to play with at the start of the game. As you progress through each encounter – thinning out the ranks of Infected, WLF soldiers, or Seraphites coming after you – you'll gain resources that can be spent on new weapons, recipes, and upgrades as you approach the final boss.

Yet the frantic, desperate, violent sense of struggle that underpinned the narrative of The Last of Us 2 is here, doled out in just strong enough a dosage while Naughty Dog might have decoupled from the story, you never lose sight of the world. For fans, it would be well worth the $10 upgrade fee on its own, let alone everything else packaged in with the remaster. For me, someone who saw the merit in what Naughty Dog had created but could find little joy in its story, No Return is an excellent encapsulation of what I could enjoy – not the creation of a new genre, but a deeply effective realization of how systems limited by story can be expanded by a new perspective.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

When you have a great combat system, a post-launch content mode focused on that system makes a lot of sense.

Having now played about three hours of No Return, the biggest transformation that the roguelike structure has on Part II's gameplay is the way it raises the stakes. Unless you're playing Part II with the permadeath modifier enabled, death in combat is only a minor setback where a few minutes of progress is lost. My biggest issue with the permadeath modifier in Part II is that it makes death a huge setback where potentially dozens of hours can be lost. No Return is a nice in-between option, encouraging you to approach each fight with the wariness that a mistake can ruin a run but the comfort that each run lasts only about an hour at most. A loss hurts, but it's not going to make me put the game down in frustration and never touch it again.

In terms of structure, No Return sees you pick your desired difficulty and playable character at the start. You're then thrown into a hub area where you pick your next mission with the path forward sometimes branching and allowing you to pick what type of objective you want to tackle next. Between each mission, you'll return to the hub where you can spend collected resources on new guns, ammo, crafting recipes, and abilities. This pattern continues until you reach the endpoint of a run, which sees you go up against a boss, like an aggressive Bloater or the infamous Rat King. The action takes place on 19 different maps, some of which can vary from run to run.

No Return reminds me a lot of Ghost of Tsushima's Legends. Both modes focus on delivering more combat for what were largely story-driven games, appealing to players who wanted more of the gameplay without necessarily starting over in the story. Unlike Legends, however, it doesn't look like No Return will get much in the way of updates or expansions going forward. According to Gallant, Part II Remastered is the definitive version of the game.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We visited Sony Interactive Entertainment to play a few rounds of this surprising new mode.

Upon starting a new run, I choose one of two available characters: Ellie or Abby. Each character has a playstyle and specialized traits. Ellie is classified as “Balanced," meaning she’s well-rounded, while her three traits are gaining 50 percent more supplements, the ability to craft Molotovs (other characters must unlock this recipe), and two upgrade branches. Abby is a Brawler, meaning she hits harder, and her traits include a health regen that restores HP each time she performs a melee attack. Dina excels at crafting, based on how she’s able to repair the WLF radio in the story. Lev, who I unlock later, is stealth-focused, so he’s automatically equipped with his powerful and silent bow. His sister Yara’s trait allows Lev to accompany her as an AI companion at the expense of starting with only a basic firearm, meaning her upgrade path is longer by default. 

I choose Ellie, and my run begins in the hideaway. This HQ takes different forms location-wise and has a workbench to upgrade weapons and a trading post to purchase new guns and tools from a randomized selection, which changes upon each visit. If you’re unhappy with what the trading post currently offers, you can reroll the selection by spending a small amount of currency. I begin with a pistol, a knife, and a couple of health packs. A corkboard displays the current run, a branching web of levels represented by Polaroid photographs that display any stipulations.

The first level’s match is Assault, which tasks me with defeating three waves of enemies. I can go loud, but I choose to pick them off quietly, my preferred tactic in the story campaign. I’m reminded of how good the combat feels after being away from it for three years. The action is brutal, and I find myself wincing all over again at the sickening sound effects as I pierce throats with my knife or cave in someone’s skull with a bat. And yes, human enemies still scream out the names of their fallen comrades (“No! Mike!”) in agony upon discovering my handiwork. 

The Last of Us Part II’s unsettlingly grounded depiction of violence is juxtaposed by No Return's more video game-y elements. Abby’s health regen trait means that health symbols explode out of enemies when she strikes them. Level modifiers can be goofy, such as one that makes all enemies invisible, detectable only by using listen mode, or by shining your flashlight to cast their shadows. Gallant, who worked on Part II’s combat in the original game, says Naughty Dog always valued keeping things grounded when it came to the series combat, but No Return’s non-canonical nature presented the opportunity for them to cut loose and get wild. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us Part II Remastered (PS5 | $10 upgrade path | 19 January 2024) - "No Return" (roguelike survival mode) hands-on previews articles and videos
  • 4 weeks later...

I only played 2 the one time at launch, I don’t care if it looks/runs that much better. It looks like the new game mode will be worth the $10 upgrade to me on its own, and I’ll have a good excuse to play the campaign again. 

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I only played 2 the one time at launch, I don’t care if it looks/runs that much better. It looks like the new game mode will be worth the $10 upgrade to me on its own, and I’ll have a good excuse to play the campaign again. 

You mean the roguelike survival mode? That will be way too difficult for me. 

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You mean the roguelike survival mode? That will be way too difficult for me. 

It has difficulty options. From the Game Informer preview: 

A multitude of difficulty options means No Return can be as easy or hard as players make it. A Custom Run option even allows players to tailor their runs by choosing what mods, perks, and match types appear.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It has difficulty options. From the Game Informer preview: 

Hmm. Thanks. I may give that a go then. I love part 2 a lot so most likely I'll dive in again regardless of any updated visuals they promise. 

Game Information

Game Title: The Last of Us Part II Remastered

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Jan 19, 2024)

Developer: Naughty Dog
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 90 average - 90% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 5 / 5

Well worth revisiting if you’ve played before and a must-buy at £45 for those new to Part II.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a candidate worthy of your attention. Looking past its story (again, its story is incredible) and emotional power, there is enough additional content to warrant a full replay for existing owners. If you’re a new owner, this is no doubt the edition you should be securing to fully immerse yourself in Naughty Dog’s desolate future.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 10 / 10

The Last of Us: Part II Remastered fulfills all the requirements of a truly worthy upgrade pack and comes with a number of interesting and highly entertaining additions.

GGRecon - Lloyd Coombes - 5 / 5

It’s hard to talk about The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered without speaking directly to two different camps; those who have played it and want to know if it’s worth the ten-dollar upgrade fee, and those who have yet to experience it.

For the first, I’d say there’s more than enough here to warrant the upgrade, especially if the game got under your skin the first time around. Collectible character models, No Return, and the developer commentary are likely worth the price of admission for you alone.

For those who haven’t played it yet, I feel like I can say with my whole chest that The Last of Us Part 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time, and this remaster has only reminded me of that.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 10 / 10

Whether you’re brand new to The Last of Us Part 2 or already own it on PS4 and are upgrading to this remastered version for the extra bells and whistles, you’re in for a treat. Thanks to the visual and performance improvements, there’s no better way to experience the grim, shocking and sometimes uncomfortable story of The Last of Us Part 2. And once that ordeal is over, a great effort has been made here to allow you an interesting insight into the game’s development. It’s the elements here that allow you to extend your play that really make the difference, though. From new unlockable outfits to the brilliant No Return roguelike mode, chances are you’ll keep playing The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered long after the credits have rolled.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 10 / 10

It’s a must-do masterpiece if you’ve never had the time to try it before. This fully optimized version on PS5 is a feast for the eyes and ears. There is nothing to throw away, especially since in addition to being sublime, the game is incredible, we know that. For fans of the license, many bonuses (developer comments, deleted levels, etc.) are also included. The roguelike mode does the job very well, even if it is only playable solo. It will certainly kill you for a few extra hours if it is not really essential. But when the job is done very well, why sulk? The same will not be said of the mode which allows you to play the guitar freely, which will only appeal to serious enthusiasts. The Last of Us 2 Remastered is therefore unmissable if you have never touched the game, but if you own the original game on PS4, although it will only cost you around ten euros, it is difficult to recommend, except for early fans obviously.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a dense collection of content that fleshes out the main story, with a rogue-lite that is a lot of fun.

PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 10 / 10

The best version of Naughty Dog's blockbuster. It's still not a story for everyone, it's not a production for all PS5 owners. It is, however, a title that will delight fans of the universe - The Last of Us Part II Remastered is (at least currently) the best version of the game you loved or hated on the previous generation.

PSX Brasil - Rui Celso - Portuguese - 100 / 100

All the extras greatly increase the lifespan of the game and manage to delve the player even deeper into the narrative in an extraordinary way.

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 10 / 10

Boiled down to its most basic properties, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is the definitive version of the best game of the last generation and as such, it's still a ten. Easily.

Screen Rant - Kyle Gratton - 5 / 5

Even with consideration for all the fresh content, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered's $50 asking price still feels a bit steep for series newcomers who have held off until now. The new additions themselves feel particularly geared toward returning players, however, and No Return alone is likely worth the $10 upgrade fee being offered. The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is ultimately still The Last of Us Part 2 – it's one of the greatest narrative achievements in the medium repackaged with more gameplay avenues.

Siliconera - Cory Dinkel - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered does far more than simply justify its existence on the PS5, it elevates an already near-perfect experience.

Tom's Guide - Rory Mellon - 5 / 5

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is an essential PS5 game for new players and veterans alike. The visual and performance upgrade is minor compared to the PS4 original, but the suite of additional content is worth the admission price. The roguelike No Return mode is a real winner, and the deeper insight into the game’s development will delight longtime fans of the franchise.

Use a Potion - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered offers the definitive way for players to experience what was already a masterpiece, with the visual enhancements and additions making the game even better than it was before. Whilst the improved visuals, performance, and load times go a long way in making it look and feel better to play, the new modes like No Return and Lost Levels feel like genuinely substantial additions that’ll even keep veterans of the game gleefully glued to their screens once more. It all comes together to act as the perfect reminder that Naughty Dog are masters of their craft, with The Last of Us Part II Remastered sitting at the pinnacle of gaming greatness.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is the best way to play one of the best games ever made. Excellent bonus content and visual bells and whistles make this $10 more than worth it, and the exact excuse you need to revisit this modern masterpiece.

Impulsegamer - Marc Rigg - 4.8 / 5

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a solid upgrade to an otherwise already fantastic game.

Capsule Computers - Dustin Spencer - 9.5 / 10

While the public are becoming critical of remasters and re-releases, The Last of Us Part II Remastered easily earns its new package with some lovely new content.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered brings not just extra content but extra heart to an already much-loved game. This is one for the fans, with a plethora of additional features that highlight the best aspects of the game's design whilst giving further context and glimpses into its development. Bursting at the seams with things to do, see, and unlock-The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a celebration of one of gaming's greats.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 95%

Better graphics in both, Fidelity and Performance mode, the audio commentary during the solo campaign and especially the commented and playable dye prototype levels are solely worth the upgrade for owners of the PS4 original. But the best reason for them to play The Last of Us Part II Remastered is the new roguelike mode No Return. If you haven’t played the game yet, you should now get the PS5 version to get one of the best survival action games out there.

GameBlast - Matheus Senna de Oliveira - Portuguese - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is very worth it, including from a financial point of view. After all, this is the improved version of a winner of more than 300 Game of the Year awards, with a great (albeit controversial) plot, top-notch production and even better gameplay. The discount for owners of a copy for PS4 is valid and serves as an incentive to return to the game.

Gaming Nexus - Jason Dailey - 9.5 / 10

Regardless of if you're experiencing the story for the first time, or returning for the $10 upgrade, this is the definitive version of one of the finest video games ever made. It's worth playing for the story alone, but the No Return mode is an intense and fun addition that might keep you around longer than you expect.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered might ring up an emotional toll that some aren't ready to part with so soon after its original launch, however it's still a worthwhile release thanks in large part to its celebratory behind-the-scene glimpses at how the game came to be. Adding more value to the package is No Return, an excellent, compact roguelike that feels like an apt showcase for the game's blunt force combat.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Bringing out a remastered version of such a high-profile game just over three years after the original was certainly a gamble. Fortunately, the audiovisual restoration work has been flanked by an overall optimization that has improved the quality of the experience. Further enhancing the value of the release we find a challenging and fun new roguelike mode, three cut mini-levels, new skins and a variety of other extras that deepen the world of TLOU2.

XGN.nl - Chris Boers - Dutch - 9.3 / 10

This remaster might feel a bit superfluous as the original PS4 version was already great. However, the added features including the commentary, deleted scenes and the new roguelike game mode are welcome additions. For new players, this remastered version is definitely the right choice. For owners of the PS4 version, the extras and extra graphical fidelity might be enough to entice the relatively small upgrade fee.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Oktay - Turkish - 92 / 100

Aside from the overall production quality, the acting is also top-notch.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 9 / 10

Naughty Dog's excessive violence odyssey returns with a discreet remastering but one that offers an appetizing window into its development process.

Attack of the Fanboy - Diego Perez - 4.5 / 5

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered adds some additional visual flair to a game that didn't really need any, but the new No Return roguelike mode makes it well worth the upgrade.

COGconnected - Patrick Anderson - 90 / 100

It does feel a bit too soon for The Last of Us Part II Remaster. And this just isn’t the kind of game whose story I want to experience again. Not yet anyway. But Naughty Dog clearly knows this and has put together a package with enough new modes and features to make the upgrade a winning proposition.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

With better graphics, gameplay, and worthwhile additions, it’s an easy recommendation to pay and upgrade to The Last of Us Part II Remastered if you own the original. If you didn’t play the PS4 original, then it’s even more of a no-brainer, as this is one of the most polished and memorable games ever made. Not afraid to deal with dark subject matter and fully explore its characters, The Last of Us Part II remains a slightly flawed yet incredible experience.

Destructoid - Smangaliso Simelane - 9 / 10

Never played the game before? Well, I don’t think it’s worth piling on any more praise, except to say this is about as good as it gets when it comes to Sony’s cinematic over-the-shoulder third-person action-adventure experience.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

“The Last of Us Part II Remastered” is a nuanced extension of a modern classic. It respects its source material while expanding upon it meaningfully, particularly through the “No Return” mode.

Evilgamerz - Jeroen Janssen - Dutch - 9 / 10

It is clear that The Last of Us Part II on the PlayStation 4 was already great. With its 20 hours of campaign, we are also very spoiled in terms of content. It is actually a miracle that they have only now released a remaster for the PS5, but I understand that they wanted to have part 1 fully ported first. The graphic improvements are good, but not always consistently sublime, the DualSense features are certainly an improvement and the extra content and game mode No Return are also fun for enthusiasts. The Last of Us Part II could hardly fail if you consider that they played it fairly safely and kept the general basis 90% the same. In addition, the game really doesn't seem to have any bugs. With the many hours you can put into the story mode, and yes, it is still great even if you have already played it on the PlayStation 4, you will not waste any money with this Remaster. However; If you have seen the game on the PS4 and have no desire to experience this great adventure again on the PS5, then the extra additions probably won't convince you enough to justify this purchase. It makes a difference that an upgrade will cost you a lot less, almost nothing in fact, so the advice should be clear!

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4.5 / 5

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is a more fully-featured and overall superior version of an already-incredible game. No Return makes it worth the $10 upgrade by itself, and the game is an absolute must-buy for anyone who has never played the PS4 original. The Lost Levels are a bit of a letdown and the graphics haven't gotten as much of an upgrade as some may have hoped, but this is still the definitive way to experience Naughty Dog's masterpiece.

Gameffine - Subhasish Das - 90 / 100

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered on PS5 is a definitive package of its PS4 original, thanks to the notable inclusion of Lost Levels, No Return, and a new in-game commentary which makes the campaign worth revisiting even after beating it. The rogue-like No Return expansion alone is worth the upgrade fee -thanks to its changing environmental effects, enhanced enemy AI, and mods that make each encounter memorable. In terms of visuals, the new fidelity mode and VRR support are worthy of inclusion. However, the visual difference in terms of assets and foliage is barely noticeable. Overall, this definitive package is an easy recommendation for old veterans and newcomers.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 9 / 10

With a campaign that's only gotten better with time, a fantastic new roguelike mode, and a host of other new bonuses, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered serves as an excellent excuse to jump back into Naughty Dog's stellar magnum opus.

GamingTrend - Abdul Saad - 90 / 100

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is an almost perfect package for both new players and returning fans looking to replay the game but with a new experience.

Geeks & Com - Maxime Chartier - French - 9 / 10

All in all, The Last Of Us Part II - Remastered is a gem. The game is still a 10/10, but the paint job is not. Agreed, it's close to perfection, but unless you're a die-hard fan of the series, the additions alone don't justify a second adventure. They add spice, but don't change the recipe.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 90 / 100

The great values of this remaster are the No Return mode, which highlights (even more) how brilliant its gameplay is, and all the light that the extras shed on the development of a work of this magnitude. The graphical upgrade is still a set-up for PS5, but for that upgrade price "I assure you I would do it again".

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 9 / 10

The Last of Us: Part 2 Remastered is the best way to enjoy Naughty Dog's masterpiece, not only for the graphical improvements and the full support for PlayStation 5-exclusive features (DualSense included), but also for the addition of very good extras such as the excellent No Return.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 9 / 10

Still one of the greatest achievements in video game storytelling and while the changes are minor the new roguelike mode and cut levels are interesting and worthwhile additions.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10

At the very least, acquire The Last of Us Part II Remastered for its unmissable base combat, then become hopelessly infected by its new fun[gal] layer of arcade challenge addiction.

Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 9 / 10

Looking upon the whole package, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is an excellent upgrade. In many ways it's a sublime treat for fans of the series, with behind-the-scenes content that we lapped up, a survival mode worth the purchase price on its own, and small, albeit present visual and performative upgrades to one of the best games to come out of the PS4 generation.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered might not be the remaster that players have asked for, but surely one that everyone can appreciate. Both games in The Last of Us franchise are now easily accessible side by side on the PlayStation 5 and can be enjoyed by returning and new players alike. The added visual flares and technical improvements are the cherries on top, but the addictive No Return roguelike mode among intimate commentary and pre-alpha levels are what make this the definitive sequel experience.

SECTOR.sk - Táňa Matúšová - Slovak - 9 / 10

While remastering a game 3,5 years after its release is hard to justify, The Last of Us Part II Remastered still offers one of the best videogame experiences that now comes with the perks that PlayStation 5 has to offer. Even though most of the changes are cosmetic and graphics-wise barely make a difference, the roguelike No Return Mode brings a new challenge that may be worth the price, especially as an upgrade for players who own the original game.

Seasoned Gaming - Alex Segovia - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II remains a fascinating sequel to one of gaming’s most celebrated franchises, and its No Return addition makes it more replayable than it was four years ago.

SpaceNerd.it - Simone Montanaro - Italian - 9 / 10

What The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered lacks is consistency. It's been too few years to see the potential of a remastered game, especially when the original title has a sublime technical compartment. The Lost Levels and Campaign Commentary turn out to be the best extra content, while the No Return mode is out of context.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is generally what you'd expect for a current-generation iteration of a 3.5-year-old game. There's definitely enough extra content and enhancements to make it worthwhile but only if you're not burned-out by the original. 🎸

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is, without a doubt, the best way to enjoy Naughty Dog's excellent survival horror game, thanks to addition of the surprisingly fun No Return roguelike mode, the cut Lost Levels, developer commentary and two display modes for a proper 4K resolution experience. The main campaign's bleak story remains as controversial as it was when the original game launched on PlayStation 4, but underneath it is one of the finest survival horror games ever made.

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 85 / 100

With a host of visual improvements and all-new content, The Last of Us Part II Remastered is the definitive version of one of Naughty Dog's best games. It's time to relive Ellie and Abby's iconic journey.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 8.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered takes an excellent game and polishes it into a gleaming gem made brighter than ever, thanks to the inclusion of new content.

Gaming Age - Benny Rose - 8.5 / 10

Overall, The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a solid remaster release for the PS5, but not one we truly needed in the relative short time since Part II was first released. Part I Remastered made so much sense and enough time went by to see the evolution of the visuals.  Naughty Dog did a knock-out job the first time and simply wanted to perfect it, so I would say they were successful.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 8.5 / 10

Polished, functional, and visually stunning, The Last of Us Part II Remastered is every bit the product it sets out to be, betraying the game's art and dealing a blow to its dignity in the process.

Fun Factor - Diogo Arez - Portuguese - 8 / 10

While the graphical improvements are subtle, the new modes are worth the price of admission alone, especially No Return, a Roguelike mode that's absurdly fun, although it could use a bit more permanent progression to spice up later runs.

Nerdburglars - Dan Hastings - 8 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered for PS5 refreshes the acclaimed title with enhanced visuals and intriguing new content, including previously unreleased levels and the "No Return" roguelike mode. While the visual upgrades are polished, they fall short of fully utilizing PS5's capabilities, especially when compared to other titles. This remaster, primarily appealing to new players or franchise fans, serves more as a bridge to Naughty Dog's future endeavors rather than a standalone landmark.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 8 / 10

The Last of Us Part II Remastered's technical improvements are minor (many will question if it's even necessary), but the side content like No Return is great and worth the upgrade.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - 8 / 10

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered refines and improves a much misunderstood masterpiece. It's hard not to be amazed at how good this game still looks, and it comes with a new mode and some behind the scenes stuff to enjoy.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8 / 10

At the end of the day, The Last of Us: Part II - Remastered is a fine but pointless upgrade. In a vacuum, it's a straight boost to the PS4 version in every way, and the $10 upgrade cost is probably worth it if just for No Return. For all of its glories and failures, Part II is still the same game, even more so than The Last of Us: Part I. It's the best version of the game but probably not something that players need to rush out to get.

LevelUp - Pedro Pérez Cesari - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

The Last of Us: Part II Remastered is a re-release that delivers the best and most complete version of this game. While the graphical changes do little to impress, the extra content is valuable for those hungry for more of Naughty Dog's grim universe. That said, it feels solely like it exists purely for commercial continuity, to capitalize on the hype of the HBO series and give another sales boost to Naughty Dog's video game

ZTGD - Ken McKown - 7.5 / 10

Last of Us II Remastered could have been a cash grab with the success of the TV show, but instead feels like a solid upgrade with a reasonable path for owners of the original. The added content is more than worth the asking price, and the game remains one of the most impressive technical feats of all time.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 3.5 / 5

Even if you love The Last Of Us 2. Even if you think it’s the Citizen Kane of video games. Even if you think that Shakespeare himself would have thrown in the towel after seeing this game, realising he could never compete with it as a storyteller, you must surely realise that a game that is four years old and is readily available on your current console doesn’t need the remaster. Surely you understand that this is a ridiculous excess, done purely to milk revenue out of fans, and that it’s particularly frustrating given that Sony is sitting on dozens of incredible properties. That it would rather leave all of them on ice and inaccessible to release this indulgence just isn’t acceptable.

IGN Spain - Estrella Gómez - Spanish - 7 / 10

The Last of Us: Part II wants to follow in the footsteps of the first installment, but it doesn't get off to a good start. The new version is riddled with bugs and only climbs a few steps thanks to the exciting No Return mode, which makes the remaster a half tribute.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 70 / 100

If you've played The Last Of Us Part 2 before and really, REALLY want to play the game in 60fps and don't mind killing a few hours on a roguelike action title using the game's brand of crafting and survival combat, I do suggest waiting for a price drop or PlayStation Plus version of this title. If you're either impatient OR it's your first time diving into this? By all means jump into the depressing world ruled by cordyceps-plagued zombie people and cruel military factions. The story's divisive and isn't as well-plotted out like the first one, but it's got some good shooting and survival horror coatings to tide you over its other flaws.

The Game Crater - Jayden Hellyar - 7 / 10

Despite the limited changes, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered stands as the definitive way to immerse oneself in its emotional narrative.

Too Much Gaming - 3 / 5

There’s just not enough meat to justify the use of the term “remastered” in The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered. Visually, the improvements here are minimal, and even without it, the original The Last of Us Part 2 can still go toe-to-toe with the biggest games released today. The real highlight is No Return and the option to play at true 4K resolution as everything else feels like padding.

Niche Gamer - Fingal Belmont - 5 / 10

Unfortunately, The Return also exposes the underlying weaknesses in Part II‘s mechanics, especially when compared to older stealth-action titles like Metal Gear Solid V or even Manhunt on PlayStation 2. Labeling this a “Remaster” is disingenuous, and “Director’s Cut” wouldn’t be accurate either. At best, The Last of Us Part II Remastered qualifies as a “Special Edition.”

Atarita - Eren Eroğlu - Turkish - Unscored

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is the perfect opportunity to give this great game a clean start. In addition to its enhanced visuals and DualSense support, it also delivers a few extra hours of experience with the rogue-like "No Return" mode.

Chicas Gamers - Estela Villa - Spanish - Unscored

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is an opportunity to enjoy the game in its maximum splendor for those who did not enjoy the game in their day and for those who already played it, it is an option to try these new additions for €10, since that is the price of the update if you have the PS4 version (both physically and digitally). While it is true that these additions may not be everything that was expected from Naughty Dog, it is not too high a price to try them.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered fine-tunes an already incredible game with better lighting, more details, and subtle improvements thanks to new Accessibility options.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored

The PS5 upgrade of Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic PS4 drama "The Last of Us Part II" scores with exciting additional content. Graphically, not much has changed.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Recommended

The definitive version of The Last of Us Part II lands on PlayStation 5 with a native build and gameplay modes that are well worth the symbolic upgrade.

Entertainium - Felicity Chevalier - Liked

Worse, the fact that personal trauma is often implied as an excuse to perpetrate even more violence is disturbing.  This is a shame for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that in the quieter, more peaceful moments of the game (typically reserved for flashbacks), the writing and voice acting are very well done.  In a game overflowing with a veritable downpour of tragedies, the biggest one may be actually playing the game itself.

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Arace - Italian - Unscored

The Last of Us Part 2 remains a superior work even four years after its debut.

Kotaku - Jen Glennon - Unscored

The Last of Us Part II Remastered is the best way to play this truly excellent game, with sky-high stakes, stunning visuals, rewarding exploration, and phenomenally varied and thrilling combat. But to get the most out of it, you’ll probably need to have a stronger stomach than I do.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

The Last of Us Part II Remastered was a must-play then, and it remains a must-play even today. The way the story and gameplay hold up is a testament to how high the bar was set during its original release. Intense, raw, and emotionally charged, The Last of Us Part II Remastered is a reminder of Naughty Dog’s sheer brilliance.

The addition of a No Return mode makes this package even sweeter, adding a roguelite-inspired affair that works well given the context and systems of the game. Offering hours of repeatable gameplay, this mode alone is worth the $10 upgrade fee if you already own the PS4 version, making this the definitive way to play the game. Despite the hard-to-spot visual upgrades, the game still looks as visually impressive as ever.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - Unscored

The Last of Us Parte 2 Remastered is just a re-sell of the same game with new modes that could have been added for free.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - Unscored

Whilst I believe that The Last of Us Part II Remastered might have been unnecessary, it does offer a variety of new features for you to enjoy. The cosmetic additions are welcomed and having the option to strum a guitar endlessly may be a bit of fun. However, I believe it will come down to whether or not you want to experience the extra dual sense features or if you are interested in a Last of Us Part II themed roguelike mode, that’ll determine if you play it or not.

Vamers - Edward Swardt - No Recommendation

Whether one believes this remaster should exist or not; there is no question about the outstanding story present in The Last of Us Part II Remastered. It is a narrative absolutely deserving of being experienced by any and all. For newer gamers, this remaster is a no brainer. Whether it is worth upgrading for fans who have likely already experienced all the game truly has to offer, even at the low price point, however, makes the existence of this remaster no more than an average iteration of already available excellence.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Oliver Mackenzie delivers the Digital Foundry tech review of The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered, a new enhanced version o…

The basic visual setup in the Remastered version is very familiar, at least by default. We're getting a 1440p60 experience in the default performance mode, just like the earlier patched code, with no signs of dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) or upsampling evident. Side-by-sides suggest that the two versions are a match in terms of basic image quality, with a similar, slightly soft resolve. If you look closely, you can spot some aliasing here and there, but for the most part the two releases seem perfectly fine, especially when seen from a typical TV viewing distance.

By far the largest settings difference between the two titles lies in their handling of foliage. The foliage in the original code has some very obvious pop-in and level of detail compromises, showing less dense foliage at a distance that doesn't animate. On the remastered version, we don't see nearly as much pop-in during traversal, and areas distant from the camera have better foliage coverage. The Last of Us Part 2 mostly takes place in grassy, outdoor environments, so these level of detail enhancements actually make for a pretty big improvement in most areas.

The PS Store description of the game also highlights improved shadow quality and texture quality, which are pretty tough to spot. Shadow aliasing and flickering from the PS4 release is more or less replicated heere, and the presentation of shadows appears nearly identical between the two versions. I spotted one hanging container with a noticeably higher-resolution shadowmap on PS5, but I couldn't find significant differences elsewhere.

I similarly struggled to find any texture quality differences between the PS4 and PS5 code, despite dozens of close-range captures, with the sole exception of a dirt texture that looked higher resolution in the Remastered version. Like with the shadows, I wouldn't expect a wholesale improvement here, but perhaps tweaked assets show up very occasionally. Texture filtering, though, does receive a noticeable upgrade, causing distant ground detail to resolve with less blur.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us Part II Remastered (PS5 | $10 upgrade path | 19 January 2024) - reviews from OpenCritic and Digital Foundry Technical Review
11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The games story is brutal but the actual game itself is a masterpiece. 10/10 for me. You're missing out big time. 

I’m starting BG3 over. No time for your lesbian simulator. 

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ok I’m confused. What does Andrea have to do with this discussion?

Because you said TLOU2 is a lesbian simulator. That is extremely sexist and Andrea hated people like that. If she read what you said she'd be all over you. I've seen it many times. 

Anyway, TLOU2 is exceptional but you're too scared to play it. I understand.