The Abyss 4K Remaster in Theaters December 6th

7 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Maybe I'm dumb but how is 4k on a big ass movie screen better than the original film version?

I think that’s because 35mm film projectors are pretty much gone from theatres (my job included) So 4K tends to be highest most of these digital projectors project at. Plus when we did these events at my theatre, they were mostly blu-rays or 4K discs sent to be played through a HDMI connected to the projectors’s receiver

Also this isn't the "original film" version according to Cameron in the video is the "film he set out to make" with "big surprises" so it's a special edition / director's cut type of thing with some restored footage it seems with all the footage restored to 4k.

In any case I trust he knows what he's doing since he's one of the best directors out there and knows what's good.

It's been a long time since I've seen this one, so I'll happily watch a Cameron approved remaster. I hope tickets are available for AMC A-List. For special events like this they are sometimes and aren't others, if it goes to AMC theaters at all.

Hopefully he'll get around to that True Lies remaster soon as well.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also this isn't the "original film" version according to Cameron in the video is the "film he set out to make" with "big surprises" so it's a special edition / director's cut type of thing with some restored footage it seems with all the footage restored to 4k.

I think it's just the previous special edition/director's cut (Cameron's preferred version), now all remastered in 4K, based on the wording in the tweet. Not sure what the big surprises could be except a huge upgrade in audio/video but we'll see. Cameron does like to fiddle with his films - Avatar has 3 cuts, so it's possible. Right now for The Abyss there's just the theatrical cut and the "special edition" (which is basically a director's cut).

54 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Hopefully he'll get around to that True Lies remaster soon as well.

I do believe this is next with The Abyss done. He said awhile back that a True Lies bluray was ready to go and he just "hadn't had time to review it" yet. So I think it must be coming.

The Directors Cut makes some pretty massive changes to the ending of the movie if I remember correctly...

This used to be one of my favs and I haven't seen it since I was a teenager... I might actually go check this out.

Edit, so it's out one day only and that one day is a Wednesday???

22 minutes ago, ort said:

The Directors Cut makes some pretty massive changes to the ending of the movie if I remember correctly...

This used to be one of my favs and I haven't seen it since I was a teenager... I might actually go check this out.

Edit, so it's out one day only and that one day is a Wednesday???

I'm sure the remaster is being done for streaming on Disney+ as well.

More importantly, Aliens is finally getting the 4K treatment.

GIZMODO.COM

In the realm of home entertainment, one of the longest-running burning questions has always been “When is James Cameron going to release all his movies in 4K?” For years, there hasn’t been an answer—but finally, it's here.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Has anyone seen them?  I remember screen grabs coming out and people saying the 4k remaster on True Lies was some AI upscale bullshit that looked terrible.

Both releases have AI upscaling used, but this is all Cameron approved and apparently it's moderately implemented. Apparently one suffers a little more than the other but HighDefDigest gave both 4K's 4/5 stars for video so I think it's probably being made to be a bigger deal than it is, but I haven't kept close track. Both certainly look better than any previous release imaginable either way.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/124729/theabyssce4kuhd.html

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/124733/trueliescollectorsedition4kultrahdbluray.html

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Both releases have AI upscaling used, but this is all Cameron approved and apparently it's moderately implemented. Apparently one suffers a little more than the other but HighDefDigest gave both 4K's 4/5 stars for video so I think it's probably being made to be a bigger deal than it is, but I haven't kept close track. Both certainly look better than any previous release imaginable either way

Unfortunately because of AI "art" we've come to a point where anyone says AI and it's automatically bad. AI Upscaling is generally considered a good practice so I don't think there's much to get up in arms about there.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Unfortunately because of AI "art" we've come to a point where anyone says AI and it's automatically bad. AI Upscaling is generally considered a good practice so I don't think there's much to get up in arms about there.

Exactly. The AI upscaling here is a more advanced form of DNR (or digital noise reduction) that would be used for film transfers in the past. Now, this can be easily misapplied (anyone remember the first pressings of the Gladiator bluray?) but so long as the film 4K colorist/transfer person applies it correctly, then the AI upscaler should be no problem. That aspect is what will always be up for debate (how much is getting rid of film dirt, etc. and how much is getting natural blemishes and natural film grain?). James Cameron said the reason these 4K's took so long is that he wanted to be there himself and approve of the transfers before making them and he'd been busy with Avatar for so long, hence the drawn out process. So it could still have been misapplied but if the creator himself thinks it looks good, that's something to take into account.

• True 1

I’m not a knee jerk “AI = bad” I just remember there being complaints about it and seeing some sketchy looking shots.  I was just curious if anyone actually watched it on disc because a single frame can look terrible in isolation but totally fine in motion and I think the screens were from a stream and not the hard copy.

GBTWjXBXAAAIYa4?format=jpg&name=large