Matthew Vaughn Wants To Reboot The Star Wars Universe

Matthew Vaughn is losing it or just enjoys saying random stuff. He wants to reboot Kick-Ass. He wants to reboot Star Wars. He had ideas for a Stardust 2 despite there being no Stardust sequel novel. For some reason he's obsessed with the Kingsman franchise which lost a lot of juice after the excellent first installment but yet he wants to make a Kingman 3 and a The King's Man 2 (that could be a film or TV show) instead of something new yet won't do a Layer Cake 2 and skipped out on doing Kick-Ass 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past (thankfully that one worked out in the end). Yet more Kingsman for some reason.

This was a guy who produced Guy Ritchie's two classic films Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch before going into co-writing (with Jane Goldman) and directing with an absolutely excellent streak of well done, crowd pleasing films: Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class and Kingsman: The Secret Service. Since then he's made two mediocre films (that have moments that are great) with Kingsman: The Golden Circle and The King's Man. I don't know what's happened with him - I'm looking forward to Argylle since it's not a Kingsman film but between his weird obsession with Kingsman and all the stuff he's recently been saying I'm wondering what's up with someone who was on such a hot streak and is clearly talented. Rebooting Star Wars and making it about Skywalkers again is a terrible idea.

• Halal 1

To add to my post, obviously, the stories would still have to be what I want to be into it. I pretty much want a dude using the force and a lightsaber and has space ship and he does cool things. What I don't need are desert planets, droid sidekicks, Jedi by the same name, Sith by the same name, and Marvel humor.

I mean, I'm totally fine if the Jedi are still around 1000 years later, but I don't need my Lasersword-wielding Space Wizard-Knight to be called a Jedi or be strictly aligned with light or dark.

And like, I guess I don't even need the MC to be a Lasersword-wielding Space Wizard-Knight, but I still prefer Lasersword-wielding Space Wizard-Knights over Lasergun-wielding Space Warriors.

I just want to see the future of Star Wars have unlimited freedom and that will never happen until we go to the far future.

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I just want to see the future of Star Wars have unlimited freedom and that will never happen until we go to the far future.

I actually don't really care which direction we go in as long as it's far away from the Skywalkers. Just shift things a thousand years in either direction and get away from the 50-70 years they've been stuck on.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I actually don't really care which direction we go in as long as it's far away from the Skywalkers. Just shift things a thousand years in either direction and get away from the 50-70 years they've been stuck on.

Prequels will always be tainted by what it has to become. You """can't""" contradict or change anything because it's already set in stone. Sure there is some freedom, but you can't go against what is already there for the most part. You can even change how people interact with the force in the future. The force could be something that grows to where everyone is force sensitive for example. Time changes all or whatever.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Prequels will always be tainted by what it has to become. You """can't""" contradict or change anything because it's already set in stone. Sure there is some freedom, but you can't go against what is already there for the most part. You can even change how people interact with the force in the future. The force could be something that grows to where everyone is force sensitive for example. Time changes all or whatever.

Not prequels. I'm talking like a thousand, ten thousand years in the past. So far removed that "current day" Star Wars is so far into the future it shouldn't be on anyone's mind. The universe is so huge and Star Wars does a really good job of making it feel so very small.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Not prequels. I'm talking like a thousand, ten thousand years in the past. So far removed that "current day" Star Wars is so far into the future it shouldn't be on anyone's mind. The universe is so huge and Star Wars does a really good job of making it feel so very small.

I know what you meant, but it is still "the past". It will still lead into Episode 1 or The Old Republic. I'm just not about that even if it's 80 billion years ago. Cuz there ain't no way they won't somehow set up the modern era of Star Wars even if it happens like 1000 years ago, like one of the characters is the progenitor of the Skywalker bloodline who can use the force to fly and they call it Sky-Walking. 

I just fuckin' know that they won't be able to resist some dumb bullshit like that even if it's 1000 years removed.

• True 1

49 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I know what you meant, but it is still "the past". It will still lead into Episode 1 or The Old Republic. I'm just not about that even if it's 80 billion years ago. Cuz there ain't no way they won't somehow set up the modern era of Star Wars even if it happens like 1000 years ago, like one of the characters is the progenitor of the Skywalker bloodline who can use the force to fly and they call it Sky-Walking. 

I just fuckin' know that they won't be able to resist some dumb bullshit like that even if it's 1000 years removed.

Can't wait for the 1000 years in the future movie when, surprise, it's Skywalker's great, great, great, great, great, great niece with deepfake, force ghost Luke teaching her.

• Hype 1

The only thing I'd like rebooted are the prequels. Prequels could have been the most exciting ones since the story it's trying to tell I think is the most interesting.

Otherwise, I feel like the OT characters are associated with the original actors in a way that's much different from other fanbases.

It never ceases to amaze me how do much stock can be put into a franchise that has like... 2.5 objectively good movies? Even with Rogue One, the reception from the fandom was more like "SEE?! THIS ONE ISN'T SHIT!" like that is some bar to be proud of clearing.

The last objectively good Star Wars movie came out 10 years before I was born. I'm old enough to have kids. Hell I'm old enough to have grandkids if condoms didn't exist. (Not shitting you I knew someone in high school who had a kid at 16 and her mom had her at 17, so that was a 33 year old grandma... #giggity)

Star Wars just kind of sucks as a concept. And I am so glad that I finally have the balls to say that on the Internet.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It never ceases to amaze me how do much stock can be put into a franchise that has like... 2.5 objectively good movies? Even with Rogue One, the reception from the fandom was more like "SEE?! THIS ONE ISN'T SHIT!" like that is some bar to be proud of clearing.

The last objectively good Star Wars movie came out 10 years before I was born. I'm old enough to have kids. Hell I'm old enough to have grandkids if condoms didn't exist. (Not shitting you I knew someone in high school who had a kid at 16 and her mom had her at 17, so that was a 33 year old grandma... #giggity)

Star Wars just kind of sucks as a concept. And I am so glad that I finally have the balls to say that on the Internet.

Once the prequels came out I stopped caring about Star Wars as a thing that mattered a lot to me given the quality they were. They were just so bad, that was that. The Force Awakens was the nail in the coffin despite there being potential there. I enjoy them now like MCU stuff, some are good, some are bad, I don't care about canon anymore, but nothing really reaches the OT.

• Halal 2

40 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Rogue One is popular among the fandom. Force Awakens had enormous positive reaction. ROTJ is well regarded.

TLJ was divisive even though it was the most objectively great one.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Objectively 2.5? Where are you getting your definitive “objective” reviews from? 9 of the movies are rated Fresh. If you choose not to recognize anything below 70 as actually good then 7 of the movies are over 70. 6 rated over 80. 5 of them have audience scores over 80 and would be 6 if nerds weren’t afraid of vaginas ruling the world. 

If we’re diving into Star Wars as concept then you can include the incredibly highly rated TV shows of which 4 are outstanding and the rest are good at the very least. 

Granted Rotten Tomatoes is incredibly flawed but at its core it’s a decent barometer. So to say that objectively Star Wars is overall a poor franchise? Well that appears to be objectively a poor take 😉

Same, I don't get the love for TLJ. It felt like a twist to have a twist not because it was clever or anything. I hate that Leia followed Captain Mutiny because they wanted to re-create Han Solo. I wish what's his face died in that crash, like why have that scene if there's no consequence? (Did any characters die who weren't bad guys or B characters in the new trilogy?) The Vegas Planet was heavy handed. I dunno, fuck that movie. (The warp ship bomb was cool tho)

40 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Objectively 2.5? Where are you getting your definitive “objective” reviews from? 9 of the movies are rated Fresh. If you choose not to recognize anything below 70 as actually good then 7 of the movies are over 70. 6 rated over 80. 5 of them have audience scores over 80 and would be 6 if nerds weren’t afraid of vaginas ruling the world. 

If we’re diving into Star Wars as concept then you can include the incredibly highly rated TV shows of which 4 are outstanding and the rest are good at the very least. 

Granted Rotten Tomatoes is incredibly flawed but at its core it’s a decent barometer. So to say that objectively Star Wars is overall a poor franchise? Well that appears to be objectively a poor take 😉

Come on dude, everything Star Wars gets a +2 bonus on reviews because it's Star Wars and everyone WANTS to like it. If Revenge of the Sith wasn't a Star wars movie it would have been regarded as trash. Because it is.

Take Rogue One, for example. That movie is, like... Okay. Like I'm not going to be mad about watching it. But (at least in terms of movies) it's literally the best thing in the franchise since before I was born.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Come on dude, everything Star Wars gets a +2 bonus on reviews because it's Star Wars and everyone WANTS to like it. If Revenge of the Sith wasn't a Star wars movie it would have been regarded as trash. Because it is.

Take Rogue One, for example. That movie is, like... Okay. Like I'm not going to be mad about watching it. But (at least in terms of movies) it's literally the best thing in the franchise since before I was born.

I don’t care if people like Star Wars. People like what they like and hate what they hate. Life is too short to to get into all that haha. I don’t really love Star Trek 🤷🏻‍♂️ But when you’re saying it’s OBJECTIVELY a bad franchise. That’s not an accurate statement. There’s a lot of objectively good stuff in there. 

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t have the energy to engage with Star Wars these days. Wake me up when season 2 of Andor drops. That’s all I care about now.

I haven't watched or played anything Star Wars since Mando S2. I'm so over this era it's unreal.

12 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't know what that means and it feels like you're adding your own projection to a dumb series 

It means Rian Johnson put the aforementioned scenes you mentioned that you said you don't like to specifically show that the typical male hero action tropes in cinema are stupid and shouldn't be what we show and teach viewers. Instead of being a bull-headed hero trying to do everything on his own without all the information (Oscar Isaac) he needs instead to learn to trust his female superiors, even when kept in the dark. He needs to learn to be okay with that - which is a much more sensible approach than the typical bull in a china shop shit most male action heroes pull in these kinds of situations. Similarly, Finn sacrificing himself in that moment and Rose stopping him is another example of dispelling the typical action movie cliche that it always requires a sacrifice by a good guy to "win" and Rose stopping him is essentially saying: "we can win without ridiculous sacrificial heroics, let's try alternate methods rather than mythologizing heroic suicide in movies".

It's the same reason Rian Johnson doesn't even have Luke fight Kylo Ren at the end of the film because resorting to violence is the last refuge of the incompetent and Rian Johnson isn't going to glorify that notion. Rian Johnson is using Luke faking the fight with Kylo to mock the idea that there "needs" to be a final battle. Instead Kylo Ren comes off like a typical angsty man whereas Luke uses strategy and non-violence to beat this typical male at his own lame "we need to have a real fight" game. The entirety of TLJ is filmed with this mentality in mind, made to dispel all these stupid male action hero cliches for a new approach, many most blockbuster films don't do. And unsurprisingly, it pissed off a lot of men because they want those tropes, they like them and Rian Johnson is saying women think those tropes are stupid and instead want to problem solve on a higher level without needing action hero men running around sacrificing themselves or contravening orders because they hate not being in the loop. So no, I'm not projecting. You can still dislike the film but from your post it just sounds like the scenes went over your head since you take the scenes at face value when more is going on. People really need to check their film biases at the door when watching this film. There is article after article about this:

WWW.FILMINQUIRY.COM

The Last Jedi is a polarizing film, but looking deeper into Rian Johnson's vision you will find some potent themes, including the failures of masculinity.

• Like 3

Also for those who may not know what the basics of "supportive masculinity" are or how it can be portrayed in film, here's an article from /Film outlining the basics using Mad Max: Fury Road, which has always been an excellent example of portraying supportive masculinity. Probably helped a lot to have Eve Ensler, the author of The Vagina Monologues to come on set for a week plus and work on the script and worked with the women in the movie for co-writer and director George Miller.

WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

In a typically testosterone-heavy summer movie season, Mad Max: Fury Road stands out for its unapologetic feminist streak. Most obviously, this is manifested in the compelling female characters, and the (apparently, distressingly) radical notion that women are not property. But the film has just as much to say about men -- specifically what masculinity is, and what…

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It means Rian Johnson put the aforementioned scenes you mentioned that you said you don't like to specifically show that the typical male hero action tropes in cinema are stupid and shouldn't be what we show and teach viewers. Instead of being a bull-headed hero trying to do everything on his own without all the information (Oscar Isaac) he needs instead to learn to trust his female superiors, even when kept in the dark. He needs to learn to be okay with that - which is a much more sensible approach than the typical bull in a china shop shit most male action heroes pull in these kinds of situations. Similarly, Finn sacrificing himself in that moment and Rose stopping him is another example of dispelling the typical action movie cliche that it always requires a sacrifice by a good guy to "win" and Rose stopping him is essentially saying: "we can win without ridiculous sacrificial heroics, let's try alternate methods rather than mythologizing heroic suicide in movies".

It's the same reason Rian Johnson doesn't even have Luke fight Kylo Ren at the end of the film because resorting to violence is the last refuge of the incompetent and Rian Johnson isn't going to glorify that notion. Rian Johnson is using Luke faking the fight with Kylo to mock the idea that there "needs" to be a final battle. Instead Kylo Ren comes off like a typical angsty man whereas Luke uses strategy and non-violence to beat this typical male at his own lame "we need to have a real fight" game. The entirety of TLJ is filmed with this mentality in mind, made to dispel all these stupid male action hero cliches for a new approach, many most blockbuster films don't do. And unsurprisingly, it pissed off a lot of men because they want those tropes, they like them and Rian Johnson is saying women think those tropes are stupid and instead want to problem solve on a higher level without needing action hero men running around sacrificing themselves or contravening orders because they hate not being in the loop. So no, I'm not projecting. You can still dislike the film but from your post it just sounds like the scenes went over your head since you take the scenes at face value when more is going on. People really need to check their film biases at the door when watching this film. There is article after article about this:

WWW.FILMINQUIRY.COM

The Last Jedi is a polarizing film, but looking deeper into Rian Johnson's vision you will find some potent themes, including the failures of...

good post, and I think to summarize, the subversion of expectations isn’t just in subverting Star Wars expectations, but also typical movie trope expectations.

It’s also a good reminder that the Obi-Wan and Darth Vader fight in the very first movie is memorable despite not being well choreographed, because of the characters and the fate of Obi-Wan at the end of it. I find the final quote fight” in the Last Jedi memorable for a similar reason, although I happen to love the choreography since it’s a well shot film.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

good post, and I think to summarize, the subversion of expectations isn’t just in subverting Star Wars expectations, but also typical movie trope expectations.

It’s also a good reminder that the Obi-Wan and Darth Vader fight in the very first movie is memorable despite not being well choreographed, because of the characters and the fate of Obi-Wan at the end of it. I find the final quote fight” in the Last Jedi memorable for a similar reason, although I happen to love the choreography since it’s a well shot film.

Yeah I'm with you 100%. The Last Jedi is trying to be more than just a straightforward Star Wars film and I think all of that went over the typical viewers' head, simply instead getting frustrated at all the road blocks people like Poe and Finn face throughout the film without understanding why they are being treated the way they are in the film by people like Laura Dern, Leia and Rose. Remember, anyone can be a hero, so we don't need just men taking over everything as if no one else is capable.