Unicorn Overlord (ATLUS and Vanillaware Tactical RPG) | Coming to Switch, Xbox, & Playstation | March 8, 2024 (Demo Available Now)

Keyser_Soze

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:12 PM, Greatoneshere said:

After 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, I'm in for anything Vanillaware makes.

Have you played any of their previous games? Easily one of my favorite developers just wish their games were on PC. Fortunately I do have an Xbox so I can get this one.

• Hype 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Unicorn Overlord (ATLUS and Vanillaware Tactical RPG) | Coming to Switch, Xbox, & Playstation | March 8, 2024 (Demo Available Now)

I tried the demo last night and to me it was very mid. I am a huge Fire Emblem fan and this just seems like a sub-par knock off. If I want this type of game I’ll just play Fire Emblem. I picked up playing FE Engage last night. I’m 37 hours in and closing in on the ending chapters. It’s so damn good. 

15 hours ago, Biggie said:

I tried the demo last night and to me it was very mid. I am a huge Fire Emblem fan and this just seems like a sub-par knock off. If I want this type of game I’ll just play Fire Emblem. I picked up playing FE Engage last night. I’m 37 hours in and closing in on the ending chapters. It’s so damn good. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Fire Emblem, but to me what was exciting about the demo is all the ways it’s different from FE and other turned based strategy games. I like the real time movement and deploying troops like an RTS. It starts out really basic here, but it’s easy to see how that will get more complex and intense in a way that’s hard to do with turn based games. 

I also really like building and moving squads instead of individual units. That’s the kind of thing you naturally do in something like FE (move a couple fighters, a mage, and a healer together to take an objective), but it’s much more streamlined here. Finding that unstoppable mix of different unit traits and abilities that all trigger at the right time is really appealing to me. 

It’s obvious that they’re more ambitious than being just a Fire Emblem/FF Tactics clone, and I didn’t really understand that until I got a feel for it firsthand. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

This game isn’t trying to be anything like FE, it is inspired by Ogre Battle series (minus OB Tactics). It’s about squad building and sending them off. This game also reminds me / scratches the same itch like Venus & Braves which also has you configuring the layout of your squad.

The art style also brings back what was so beautiful in Grand Knights History on psp (but that was more classical rpg).

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chakoo said:

This game isn’t trying to be anything like FE, it is inspired by Ogre Battle series (minus OB Tactics). It’s about squad building and sending them off. This game also reminds me / scratches the same itch like Venus & Braves which also has you configuring the layout of your squad.

The art style also brings back what was so beautiful in Grand Knights History on psp (but that was more classical rpg).

Well to me it is clearly trying to be.a different spin or twist of FE. Regardless it is lame. 

Fire Emblem > Unicorn Overlord

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

After reading Biggie's impressions on this it makes me want to play it even more. I have it downloading now. He usually makes the weirdest comparisons. 

I will await your disappointment followed shortly by your admission that I was correct in my assessment. 

6 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.XBOX.COM

Unicorn Overlord combines overworld exploration and an innovative battle system. Traverse the vibrant world, build a grand army from 60+ recruitable characters, and grow your renown in...

I probably could download it remotely but I don't know my log in information for Microsoft. I could only find the option to pre-order it and not dl a demo. I'm an idiot so I'm not surprised. 

I'm confused. You said you were downloading it? 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

After reading Biggie's impressions on this it makes me want to play it even more. I have it downloading now. He usually makes the weirdest comparisons.