Unicorn Overlord (ATLUS and Vanillaware Tactical RPG) | Coming to Switch, Xbox, & Playstation | March 8, 2024 (Demo Available Now)

Keyser_Soze

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I appreciate it for what it is but tactical RPG’s don't click with me. The art style is beautiful. 

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but at least you gave it a shot. Make sure to at least play past the 1h mark where it opens up a lot more. The first 1-2 hours is a glorified tutorial to ease you into it.

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but at least you gave it a shot. Make sure to at least play past the 1h mark where it opens up a lot more. The first 1-2 hours is a glorified tutorial to ease you into it.

I'm such a noob to tactical RPG’s I am glad the first hour is a tutorial. I'll give it more time for sure. 

• Halal 1

Got to "battles are played automatically" and just noped out. I don't even like AI partners in actions games, I don't want to see AI duke it out with each other, that's boring as shit to me. Setting FF12-style priority orders beforehand just abstracts actually playing the game to more menus and takes away agency in combat, meaning there's no reacting or doing anything interesting once an actual battle takes place.

Just completely not my thing.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Sooo… I was looking at amazon (Canada) and I noticed something was saying it was available to be delivered tomorrow. So I ordered to see what happens and it’s currently in preparing to ship. Someone goofed :P

-edit-

I should note it did have a release date of the 8th earlier today. 

• Sicko 1

Boo so close, it made it to the delivery center but now hit with a delivery delay. Hopefully they deliver tomorrow and not do what they did to me a few weeks back (say they’re going to try again but ultimately sent it back to amazon).

• Sad 2

New update. Boo my package didn't move, so I contacted amazon support and they issued me a replacement that now won't show up till tomorrow (1 day early). =/ Oh well it just gives me more time to finish Rain Code which i'm at the end of chapter 5. So I'll probably have that done tonight/tomorrow so I can move on.

• Like 1

Game Information

Game Title: Unicorn Overlord

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Mar 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 8, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Mar 8, 2024)

Trailer:

Publisher: ATLUS

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 95 / 100

Once again, Vanillaware shows its mastery for making games. Unicorn Overlord is, quite simply, one of the best games of the year.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 9 / 10

Unicorn Overlord combines the stellar Vanillaware aesthetic in a tactical RPG experience that feels like a modern classic in the making.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 85 / 100

Vanillaware once again delivers a very special product that does not show signs of fatigue within a genre that has experienced a "boom" in recent years. Unicorn Overlord is gigantic and manages to stand out based on quality and ambition, although it could have spun something finer in some points in order to become a more original proposal.

IGN - Eric Zalewski - 9 / 10

Unicorn Overlord is a visual delight that's brimming with creativity, and an absolute must-play for any fan of strategy RPGs.

Kakuchopurei - Alleef Ashaari - 60 / 100

Ultimately, Unicorn Overlord excels in its graphics and art style. However, the gameplay is mostly just fun for a few hours before it devolves to becoming stale due to repetitiveness and a lot of insignificant mechanics (dating sim-like Rapport, etc.) that don't affect the gameplay.

On the surface, it looks pretty excellent, but the final 40+ hour experience from start to finish makes you feel like playing a mobile game.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

A wonderfully weird console strategy game that's inspired by the past but forges its own very distinct legend, with beautiful visuals and deep but accessible gameplay.

Nintendo Life - Alana Hagues - 9 / 10

Even amidst a huge strategy RPG boom, Unicorn Overlord stands out. It's a smorgasbord of visual delights, intricate systems, and addictive gameplay loops that all come together to create a delightfully thrilling and deep tactical RPG. It's so easy to get absorbed into everything the game offers, and we lapped it all up. Vanillaware has long been known for creating beautiful-looking games with unique twists on genres, but with 13 Sentinels and now Unicorn Overlord, this developer should be on absolutely everyone's radar.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - 9 / 10

As good as it gets for an SRPG, Unicorn Overlord fills a gap in the gaming season with its admirable package of gameplay, visual and audio design, and, to a lesser extent, storytelling. Hours and hours will be poured into finding the perfect squads and classes, valuable relationships will be built, and a continent once plunged into strife will find its feet again.

Vanillaware continues to show its prowess at building experiences in genres it isn’t exactly well-known for, and kudos to the studio for paying attention to the right stuff, and creating a game that will likely become a classic and a standard bearer.

PSX Brasil - Francisco Maia - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Vanillaware gets it right with Unicorn Overlord and reinvigorates a sub-genre of RPG that, for a long time, has been the target of huge scrutiny in the gaming industry. I strongly believe that it is also the best game ever created by the Japanese developer. Even though there are minor imperfections, the game is brilliant and worthy of the highest recommendation!

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 9 / 10

It's hard to say whether Unicorn Overlord is objectively Vanillaware's best game, but for us, it's right up there, competing for the crown - and that's incredibly high praise. This is an immaculate and deeply engaging strategy RPG; the best example of the genre that we've played in years. For those who are looking to get lost in tactical thought, it's essential - and for everyone else, it still stands as an engrossing fantasy adventure. Vanillaware's done it again.

Siliconera - Graham Russell - 8 / 10

Unicorn Overlord combines the timeless tactical RPG genre with overworld exploration and an innovative battle system for a unique epic fantasy experience in the iconic Vanillaware style. Switch version reviewed. Review copy provided by company for testing purposes. Unicorn Overlord is, as a whole, a loving and well-crafted return to the Ogre Battle formula. If the character designs aren’t a dealbreaker for you, and we’d understand if they are — seriously, can they at least figure out how shirt fabric works? — there’s a lot of interesting tactical decisions to make.

VG247 - James Billcliffe - 4 / 5

Standing on its own, Unicorn Overlord is an excellent expansion of Vanillaware’s now-trademark visual style and its newer RTS mechanics, offering both gripping strategy and an atmospheric pulp fantasy world that you're going to want to sink hours and hours into.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 9 / 10

"...Unicorn Overlord is a fantastic strategy game that is both gorgeous as it is fun. Tactics fans are in for a treat, and even those weak to the genre find this game to be a fulfilling experience."

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

spacer.png

1 Day early is better than nothing, still would have been killer to have gotten it on monday. :D

I'll probably swap to this later tonight. I've got like 15-30 mins of story exposition to finish on Rain Code (It's practically done).

It's been a really long time since I've bought and got into a game on day 1.

• Hype 2

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Which system 

EcksBawks

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

Buy this for me so I can return to the thread and complain how terrible the game is. Thanx. 

I did see you and Xbob complain about this game earlier and maybe the game wasn't marketed correctly because it feels a lot like an Advance Wars game but with more layers to it. And since Nintendo made the ugliest game possible when they remade the Advance Wars games this game is very pleasant to look at.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

EcksBawks

I did see you and Xbob complain about this game earlier and maybe the game wasn't marketed correctly because it feels a lot like an Advance Wars game but with more layers to it. And since Nintendo made the ugliest game possible when they remade the Advance Wars games this game is very pleasant to look at.

yeah but just think how much of a better job complaining I could do if I actually had the game!

:duckhuntdog: 

Look what randomly showed up yesterday. I knew this could be a possibility when I told amazon to make a replacement order. Now to sit on it for a bit to make sure they don't come asking for it back or double charge me.

spacer.png

• Sicko 1

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

:duckhuntdog: 

Look what randomly showed up yesterday. I knew this could be a possibility when I told amazon to make a replacement order. Now to sit on it for a bit to make sure they don't come asking for it back or double charge me.

spacer.png

Send it to Biggie

• Hugs 1