Unicorn Overlord (ATLUS and Vanillaware Tactical RPG) | Coming to Switch, Xbox, & Playstation | March 8, 2024 (Demo Available Now)

Keyser_Soze

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Send it to Biggie

Right???

5 hours ago, chakoo said:

I might do a give away contest. 

I’d love to have it

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Everyone who is interested gets 5 entries, minus 1 for every time they talked shit about it. 

Or I could just put my foot in your ass

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is the game very character focused, like Fire Emblem with lots of interesting characters?

Watching several streams it seems like a mix of Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars 

The game looks so good on the OLED. Digging it quite a bit. I appreciate that Vanillaware games have their own identity. 

game seems to be selling well which I am glad to see. Love the strategy rpg renaissance we are experiencing 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is the game very character focused, like Fire Emblem with lots of interesting characters?

I've only played like 4 hours but "very character focused" I don't know. I guess you recruit other voiced characters and you can build rapport with them and I dunno. I don't think it's on the level of Fire Emblem.

It's real nice when this game opens up. The first part of the game, and arguably the part I'm at right now still, is kind of on rails. But at a point you get to free roam just like in any RPG. Then you get to recruit units and that's fun because you can customize colors and voices and stuff.

What difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm on tactical which is just under the highest difficulty and it's not too hard. I do think I made it harder by going at a harder battle (north) near the beginning. But after that I went south to the gladiator fight and that was a super easy fight.

Also, Josef seems OP and I presume he will disappear at some point so I'm trying to level up my other units.

I’m playing at “Normal” or whatever the difficulty is called just above “Story.” It’s been a smooth ride so far.

And yeah, I’m assuming Josef doesn’t stay in your party forever, or the other characters and enemies level up to him so he’s not OP throughout the game. Best to level up everyone as much as possible.

I'm about 9 hours in now. Just got the sellsword. I've pretty much stopped using Josef except for certain moments and now a good amount of my units are hovering around level 9. Now I'm getting so many units I don't have enough valor to make the formations. :p

Wow this game has a lot of side quests. 

I’m a freakin’ delivery boy for the kingdom. Do none of these civilians have any sense of entrepreneurship? They could make a killing running simple supplies back to these little towns over and over. And it’ll look like they are doing it to improve the land, but really they are just lining their pockets. (Hey, just like the 1% do in the real world!)

Actually wait, never mind. I’M making a killing doing these runs, and lining my pockets for my own personal gain. Yeah, no. Things are good.

• True 1

The great Yasumi Matsuno has chimed in, saying to a question about making a new game, to play Unicorn Overlord for now. High praise coming from the creator of Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy 12.

KOTAKU.COM

Yasumi Matsuno is one of the most vocal admirers of Vanillaware’s tactics RPG

• Hype 1

37 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Man, this game looks really cool. I loved Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64. It would be the prefect Deck game, but seems silly it's no on PC. 

From an article I read, which is speculation of course, Vanillaware once released a game on PC and it did badly so they didn't release anymore PC games.

However, Atlus loves to put stuff on PC now so maybe one day they'll nudge them in the right direction. But it's Atlas so who knows what they want to do :p

Oh interesting. Was messing around with the units. You can put conditions on your attacks so you can make your characters target a certain unit above the other ones in a unit and things like that. Like if you want your guy to prioritize hitting the thieves  instead of someone else. But you can get even more conditional. 🤔

Seems I’m saving everyone in the surrounding area in the beginning. Except for the person I originally set out to rescue. 

Just got the 

Spoiler

Old, young-looking witch. 

I need to get more “renown” or something. I can’t beef up my units past a group of three yet. But I’ve hired several mercenaries, with nothing for them to do.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:26 PM, Biggie said:

Did I win?

Have you beaten the title screen on the demo yet? :p Prove you'll actually play the game and play the demo till Rolf joins the party (about 1h 30m in) and post proof. :mdancing: (probably do this on switch so your save transfers over).

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Have you beaten the title screen on the demo yet? :p Prove you'll actually play the game and play the demo till Rolf joins the party (about 1h 30m in) and post proof. :mdancing: (probably do this on switch so your save transfers over).

Biggie wants it sooo bad!! :lol:

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I need to get more “renown” or something. I can’t beef up my units past a group of three yet. But I’ve hired several mercenaries, with nothing for them to do.

The way I did it is make a lot of formations, you'll get a lot of characters and won't really need to spend a lot of honors on mercenaries if you're doing it right. By the time you get enough Renown to increase your formation to 4 you'll have enough honor.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:33 PM, Greatoneshere said:

The great Yasumi Matsuno has chimed in, saying to a question about making a new game, to play Unicorn Overlord for now. High praise coming from the creator of Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy 12.

KOTAKU.COM

Yasumi Matsuno is one of the most vocal admirers of Vanillaware’s tactics RPG

Are we making a list of my favorite games here? Oh, no just the Matsuno ones I love <3

• Hype 1