What are your thoughts of Biden pulling out of Afghanistan?

What are the positive aspects of this decision? My dad was just going off about Biden and how he is a lying pos. I don't know enough to really have an opinion on it but maybe you guys can make some sense of it. Then I can relay the message to him lol. 

He also is absolutely disgusted with the border situation and the inflation that has taken over the United States.

I'm asking this with respect and I'm not trying to stir anything up. I just like to understand this stuff a bit more. 

It was long past due, his best decision as potus imo.

The cease fire and withdrawal agreement were coming up that the previous administration signed, Biden just made it happen. The fact the afghan military collapsed in like 37 minutes after our withdrawal demonstrates it was the right choice as well.

were we to stay there for the next century?

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I agree with what CV said basically. But a special lol for “inflation that’s taken over the US” especially considering how much better we’ve done than other countries in this particular global issue. That talking point shows so much unwillingness to even consider looking at actual reality that you can pretty much just ignore anything he says politically ever as it’s not coming from any genuine place. 

• Like 2
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Only now through some miracle of modern science also able to complain that nobody wants to work anymore at the same time  

A world where billionaires can’t exploit the poor for quarterly growth isn’t a world I want to live in commie!

• Hype 1

I appreciate the responses so far. @stepee yes, his views come from fox news so he is completely poisoned by just one side of thinking. I have litteraly stopped going upstairs to watch TV with my parents because it is absolutely disgusting how all they do is watch fox news. There is no open mind thinking and it's not a healthy place for me to understand what's going on in the world.

I'm basically conservative through my upbringing but never took politics too seriously. I need a broader view on things and i understand this board is 99% liberal. But there has to be a reason for that so I always visit this board everyday to try and understand what's really going on. 

Even my work environment is conservative so I'm technically brainwashed at this point. I try and learn a different perspective here.

Afghanistan could have been done better but it was a long time coming. Republicans seem to forget that now only did Trump promise a withdrawal as well, he also also initially coitized Biden for not pulling out sooner. I make sure to gently remind any Republican of this when they are ranting about Afghanistan.

Inflation is a global issue. But yes it sucks, and DeSantis's state has the highest inflation rate in the US.

The border issue is only gonna get worse as global warming increases and we have more climate refugees leaving countries they can no longer live in.

• Thanks 2

Just as a refresher on the afghan withdrawal i brought up an old NYTs article, and came across a real gem.  We have it good now.

“I really believe the Taliban wants to do something to show that we’re not all wasting time,” President Trump said in Washington hours after the agreement had been signed. “If bad things happen, we’ll go back.”

In rambling remarks on Afghanistan at a news conference on the coronavirus epidemic, Mr. Trump also seemed to suggest that the Taliban might be America’s newfound allies.

“I’ll be meeting personally with Taliban leaders in the not-too-distant future, and will be very much hoping that they will be doing what they say,” the president said. “They will be killing terrorists. They will be killing some very bad people. They will keep that fight going.”

Anyways, it was overall a good thing that we left, 20 years of stupidity there, and a lot of the chaos that happened was due to the Afghan president being a coward and fleeing the country after a deal was in place to keep the Taliban out of Kabul till the US completed its withdrawal, once he did that the security in the city evaporated and the city devolved into chaos.  No idea why anyone looks back on the withdrawal and comes away thinking anything other than good.

Honestly though i've just gotten to the point where when people bitch about things i just ask how their guy would fix it, I know they won't have answer because they're just given enough info and told to be mad about it and thats it.

• True 1

Hey funny thing about inflation:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/first-american-city-to-tame-inflation-owes-success-to-affordable-housing/?amp=1

The housing initiatives — including the Itasca Project, an alliance of the business, philanthropic and public sectors in the region pushing for at least 18,000 new housing units per year through 2030 — have picked up where the Fed’s monetary tightening leaves off, demonstrating the role state and local policies can play in curbing inflation.

They also show how a regional economy can get a boost when politicians are able to temper opposition to new building, sometimes part of the “not in my backyard,” or NIMBY, movement. Local backlash has squashed projects from California to New York, where an ambitious plan by Gov. Kathy Hochul to add about 800,000 units of housing over the next decade fell apart in April after resistance from suburban areas.

Rent growth in Minneapolis since 2017 is just 1%, compared with 31% in the U.S. overall, according to the Pew Charitable Trusts. Its share of affordable rental units and ratio of rent to income are better than most comparable U.S. metro areas. 

45 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I live like an hour away from the border and there's really no issue. 🤷‍♀️ - At least in whatever manner FOX news is putting it.

That’s why I always laugh when during primary time, they go to Iowa to ask people their concerns and they always say the border. Why? Why is THAT a concern when you live closer to Canada than you do Mexico?

Fox News viewers:

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Honestly people deserve housing inflation in California, they keep voting against themselves 

California was just the first, at the moment its probably not even in the top 10 for housing inflation these days, still the most expensive, but its prices are stable compared to Florida.

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

California was just the first, at the moment its probably not even in the top 10 for housing inflation these days, still the most expensive, but its prices are stable compared to Florida.

Yeah, that is true. It’s just I live here so just speaking on my experience with trying to vote for better housing and my state continuously voting for the wrong thing (usually by a slim margin but still)

All the crap Biden got for the Afghanistan pullout was a bunch of disgusting bad faith nonsense. 2,400 Americans and over 100,000 Afghans died over there over the course of 20 years and the entire right wing media machine went nuts after 13 died during the final days? After spending the previous 20 years politely ignoring everything that happened over there almost to the point that most Americans barely even knew a war was going on… and now, the second it becomes politically advantageous, they acted like a president having 13 service members die on his watch was some sort of never before imagined fuckup. Get out of here with that shit. People have been dying over there for 20 years and they never reported on any of it ever.

They were using those dead soldiers as props for their sick game. It was gross.

Fuck that war. Getting out of it was long overdue. We should never have been over there at all. 

• Halal 1

His response to this was why hasn't Biden visited the border? Cartels are sweeping in causing chaos and the immigrants coming in by the hundreds are manipulating our own land. For example, they had to shut down a soccer venue where Americans pay taxes to use to house these immigrants. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

His response to this was why hasn't Biden visited the border? Cartels are sweeping in causing chaos and the immigrants coming in by the hundreds are manipulating our own land. For example, they had to shut down a soccer venue where Americans pay taxes to use to house these immigrants. 

Visit the border and do what exactly? Which border? Why does he love the word border so much? Honestly, why hasn’t your Dad visited the border? Then he can get this entire notion out of his mind. What chaos, where? It’s literally only a problem for him because he’s told it’s a problem. 

Im looking at a map right now at the border where you live, is your Dad talking about Canadians? That’s the closest border with another country I see. Did a moose touch him as a child? He’s obviously not talking about the southern border obviously, since he said Biden didn’t visit it:

08dc-biden-sub-1-1-6e79-facebookJumbo.jp
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A surge of migration has made El Paso one of the most vivid symbols of the decades-long breakdown in America’s immigration system.

So, IS he talking about the Canadian border???

And why are his taxes going to a soccer venue? A soccer venue where you live housing Canadians? A soccer venue in some other state? Why would he be paying taxes on a soccer venue in another state? Why are people in that state paying taxes for a soccer venue? I’d much rather pay taxes to help people have shelter than for people to kick a ball around. Why does your Dad have no humanity?

OCLHALMFM5LPBKI4CJ7DF2KK3A.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Mexico on Tuesday pledged to spend $1.5 billion to beef up its northern border as its leader met with U.S. President Joe Biden, who faces attacks from Republicans over his...

Why did Biden get Mexico to pay for border improvements and Trump couldn’t get a cent after making that his absolute biggest campaign promise? After talking about it for years? And he did nothing? Why didn’t your Dad like when Biden did it? Why does your Dad need the feel of his own butt cheeks on each end of his face?

idk man

He didn't say he was specifically paying taxes for the soccer venue. He is speaking about the southern border where hundreds and hundreds of immigrants are walking into the US with no consequences. 

I appreciate the detailed post though. I will show him this because I'm telling you, he is brainwashed and has absolutely no idea what he is rambling about. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

He didn't say he was specifically paying taxes for the soccer venue. He is speaking about the southern border where hundreds and hundreds of immigrants are walking into the US with no consequences. 

I appreciate the detailed post though. I will show him this because I'm telling you, he is brainwashed and has absolutely no idea what he is rambling about. 

Why does he care about the taxes people pay in other cities though? That’s a very strange concern. Maybe they don’t even care about soccer in wherever city he is talking about? Why is kicking a ball around more important than providing shelter for people?

I’m also taking him at his word that this is even a thing at all, but if it is, it sounds like a good thing. But I’m not going to bother confirming if it’s real or not because I can’t think of anything that matters less, and I actually live near the southern border!

Immigration is fine! What’s wrong with hundreds of immigrants joining us and working the jobs that he sure as fuck wouldn’t want? I’m sure he’s complaining that nobody wants to work anymore as well. Why does he like racism more than solutions?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Why does he care about the taxes people pay in other cities though? That’s a very strange concern. Maybe they don’t even care about soccer in wherever city he is talking about? Why is kicking a ball around more important than providing shelter for people?

I’m also taking him at his word that this is even a thing at all, but if it is, it sounds like a good thing. But I’m not going to bother confirming if it’s real or not because I can’t think of anything that matters less, and I actually live near the southern border!

Immigration is fine! What’s wrong with hundreds of immigrants joining us and working the jobs that he sure as fuck wouldn’t want? I’m sure he’s complaining that nobody wants to work anymore as well. Why does he like racism more than solutions?

He isn't racist but just confused. My mom is the ring leader and is delusional about the real world. She has lived in a bubble her entire life and I'm embarrassed by their views. You make great points so I will definitely let him know.