Record 10 million hectares of land burned in Canadian wildfire season so far

scorched-trees-stand-1-6481873-168952813
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Data shows the 2023 wildfire season is the worst in Canada's history after surpassing a record-breaking 10 million hectares of land burned.

That's equivalent to the size of the island of Newfoundland:

4TJWJqF.png

Previous record is only 8.9 million hectares...and there are still months left in the summer/fall.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unless there's the strong possibility of threatening a populated area, is it even worth the effort to fight them in the first place?

No.

a century of mismanaging our wild lands helped lead to this. Let the rural areas burn, protect the i zone, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

No.

a century of mismanaging our wild lands helped lead to this. Let the rural areas burn, protect the i zone, nothing more.

From what I understand, most of the areas with intense burns this year are very remote and aren't managed in any way. Forests in Canada are quite different than in the western US, and are far, far more remote in most of the country.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From what I understand, most of the areas with intense burns this year are very remote and aren't managed in any way. Forests in Canada are quite different than in the western US, and are far, far more remote in most of the country.

In our nations past it was policy for decades to aggressively attack every start, even the re ore ones hence heliattack and smoke jumpers, which then contributed to over growth of the flashy fuels and transitional fuels. 

When the 1-10 hour fuels get packed it makes it easier for the entire system to burn. True forest fires (where the whole tree burns) shouldn’t happen at the rates they are based upon what I remember when I left fire suppression, granted that was over 10 years ago now, so things may have changed.