Disney Delays Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar Sequels in Massive Reshuffle

Screen-Shot-2023-06-13-at-11.20.06-AM.pn
VARIETY.COM

Disney is shaking up its entire release calendar by delaying release dates for its Marvel and 'Avatar' sequels.

Next Alien film gets moved too.

Among the highlights of the overhaul: A live-action “Moana” will be released on June 27, 2025; “Deadpool 3” moved up from Nov. 8, 2024, to May 3, 2024; an untitled “Star Wars” movie is debuting on Dec. 18, 2026; “Avatar 3” has shifted to Dec. 19, 2025; “Avatar 4” to Dec. 21, 2029, and “Avatar 5” to Dec. 19, 2031. Based on this timeline, the final “Avatar” movie is coming 22 years after the original 2009 blockbuster.

Other changes include a massive Marvel reshuffling. “Captain America: Brave New World” is moving from May 3, 2024, to July 26, 2024, which in turn is delaying “Thunderbolts” to Dec. 20, 2024, “Blade” to Feb. 14, 2025, and “Fantastic Four” to May 2, 2025. “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” is getting pushed back an entire year, from May 2, 2025, to May 1, 2026. It’s taking the place of “Avengers: Secret Wars,” which is jumping from May 1, 2026, to May 7, 2027.

With the addition of a “Star Wars” film in December 2026, it means that two movies set in a galaxy far, far away will be released in that year. A separate “Star Wars” movie has been pushed from Dec. 19, 2025, to May 22, 2026. Another “Star Wars” film is set for Dec. 17, 2027. Disney hasn’t clarified the premises of any of those installments.

Elsewhere, the new “Alien” movie, produced by Ridley Scott and directed by Fede Alvarez, will open on Aug. 16, 2024.

Production delays and the ongoing WGA strike are part of the reason behind the total overhaul of the release plan. Disney recently paused filming on “Blade” and “Thunderbolts,” which led to a ripple effect on the rest of the interconnected Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Movie lover me would prefer Star Wars and Avatar to be a decade+ between installments. I think Avatar really worked well to have a big break so Cameron could work some new special sauce into the mix.

But Star Wars works best as series when each trilogy kinda "belongs" to a certain generation of youngsters, IMO. I LIKE that younger millennials think the prequel trilogy is great.

Moana seems too new to get a live action remake already (not that any of these live action remakes have been fully worthwhile).

Deadpool getting moved up 6 months is weird, and I hope that doesn't affect the quality of it by getting rushed.

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

But Star Wars works best as series when each trilogy kinda "belongs" to a certain generation of youngsters, IMO. I LIKE that younger millennials think the prequel trilogy is great.

While we don't know the specifics of these new Star Wars movies, it sounds like they're spin-off movies, and not Episodes. I'm in the same line of thinking though that each Episode trilogy should be a generational thing. It just makes sense, even within the universe of these movies; The Prequels were about Anakin, the Originals were about the generation after him with Luke, the Sequels were about the generation after him with Rey, so therefore Episodes X-XII should be about the generation after her, maybe feature the potential children of Rey, Poe, and/or Finn. I don't want to see Episode X for at least another decade.

If we assume that Avatar 5 does get released, how many more times will it get pushed. It's already been pushed back three years from the original date and it's still 8 years away. I think there's a real chance that Cameron gets to 80 before it hits theaters.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

If we assume that Avatar 5 does get released, how many more times will it get pushed. It's already been pushed back three years from the original date and it's still 8 years away. I think there's a real chance that Cameron gets to 80 before it hits theaters.

A Song of Ice and Fire series still won't be finished by then.

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And yet only 10.5 years between the releases of Episode III (Revenge of the Sith) and Episode VII (The Force Awakens).

Yeah but I was alive for that. :p Vs Star Wars being "this old thing from before I was born" when Phantom Menace came out, and was hyped in the media as "the return of this huge [old franchise from before I was born]" even though Episode VI is only five years older than I am. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah but I was alive for that. :p Vs Star Wars being "this old thing from before I was born" when Phantom Menace came out, and was hyped in the media as "the return of this huge [old franchise from before I was born]" even though Episode VI is only five years older than I am. 

I agree 100%. I never thought we'd get more Star Wars when I was a kid until they announced The Phantom Menace and my mind was blown. I just assumed it'd been so long we'd never get more Star Wars, and then we did.

I'm only mentioning the 10.5 years because maybe we should have waited longer. :p