Superman (f/k/a Superman Legacy) - Official Thread

Some characters from Gunn's previous DC work on The Suicide Squad will be grandfathered in to the new universe, such as Viola Davis' powerbroker Amanda Waller, who is getting her own TV series, and John Cena's Peacemaker, who was introduced in that movie and went on to star in his own self-titled TV show. A second season of Peacemaker will be part of the new DCU.

Gunn and Safran are selecting elements that will carry over, mostly based on actors. For instance, Gunn has said that Cobra Kai actor Xolo Maridueña, who stars in the upcoming Blue Beetle movie, will continue playing the character in the new DCU, but that upcoming movie will stand on its own

This is going to get VERY confusing! So this upcoming Blue Beetle movie isn't connected to the new DCU but the actor will continue? :silly:

1 hour ago, Brick said:
Superman-Legacy-Cast.jpg?mbid=social_ret
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

Here's how their new heroes fit in to James Gunn and Peter Safran's reset of the DC Universe…

Hawkgirl, Mister Terrific, and Guy Gardner Green Lantern, respectively. 

Fillion as freaking GUY GARDNER!? YESSSSS!!! Also, Edi as Mr. Terrific ... oh fuck yeah!

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question… does anyone like Guy Gardner? I always kind of assumed people were supposed to dislike him, I’ve always found him exhausting. 

Who do you think he would appeal to? He was literally created to be “Fascist, Right Wing Green Lantern”. Even his suit was more militaristic.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question… does anyone like Guy Gardner? I always kind of assumed people were supposed to dislike him, I’ve always found him exhausting. 

Given that it's Gunn and hiring Fillion to play him, I'm betting that's the point. He'll be a dweeb we're meant to laugh at and dislike. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Michael Rooker! That's his name... he's the one guy i would think would be better suited to playing Guy Gardner than Fillion. Probably was Gunn's first choice but maybe considered "too old".

Or he's saving him for a different role. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Superman (f/k/a Superman Legacy) - Official Thread
1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Superman already came out in 1978, so why are they reusing the same title? It seems like they just can't stop disrespecting Christopher Reeves legacy.

Why does it matter?

It’s the same character.

7 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Why does it matter?

It’s the same character.

Plus it will have been 47 years since Superman came out in 1978 when James Gunn's Superman releases in 2025. No one will care except old people and comic book movie nerds. I think the statute of limitations has long been passed on being allowed to use the same title again, especially since the title of the last two Superman films were Superman Returns and Man of Steel, not simply "Superman".

• True 1

38 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
MOVIEWEB.COM

The family of Superman star Christopher Reeve say they have not seen his cameo in The Flash and were not consulted about his appearance.

Only people who cared that they did this were old people and comic book nerds.

What does this have to do with renaming Superman: Legacy to Superman? This can be bad, and renaming the film can be fine. 

• True 1

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

As a compromise we can refer to this one as Superman: Not the Movie.

You're right, it is true that the original 1978 Superman was also marketed as Superman: The Movie (even though it's not the primary title) so there you go. I imagine this one will only be marketed as "Superman".

4 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Also, I thought the original Superman movie was called “Superman: the Movie” and not just “Superman”?

It was indeed also marketed as that but the "official" title that stuck was simply Superman. On the wiki page for the film, for example, it's called Superman but it was "also marketed" as Superman: The Movie. So that's something. On IMDb, the 1978 Superman doesn't even get an "original title" where it will say: "Superman: The Movie" like some films will have (particularly foreign films) and there's also no "alternative title" listed either. Over time between the two marketed titles it seems Superman won vs. Superman: The Movie.

• Like 1