Star Wars: Ahsoka (Disney+) OUT NOW! - Discussion Thread

55 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Whatever Baylan was up to wasn't shown, and won't ever get a satisfying conclusion because of Ray Stevenson's passing.

For me, that's by far the most disappointing aspect of this entire series and it really, really sucks :(

In retrospect, this series could easily have been a roughly 2.5 hours-long movie and nothing significant would've been lost at all.

• Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I feel so bad for anyone trying to watch this without having watched The Clone Wars. I watched the cartoons (over a decade ago now) and still feel completely baffled and unsatisfied with whatever the hell is going on.

i talked to a couple people who hadn’t seen the cartoons and they said they weren’t having any issues following it and liked it. 

i think it really depends on the person. some people are just watching and enjoying and some people are trying to really analyze things. 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

i talked to a couple people who hadn’t seen the cartoons and they said they weren’t having any issues following it and liked it. 

i think it really depends on the person. some people are just watching and enjoying and some people are trying to really analyze things. 

They aren't like "Who are these momma's, what do they want, and why are they working for Thrawn?"

Honestly, my thought is that Ray Stevenson is the only part of this that was perfect for live action. Everything else would have translated so much better if it was a cartoon (basically, Rebels Season 5). The action works much better when there's more separation from real life. So I can agree that things always felt "off."

• True 1

31 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I agree with that as well.

The one-on-one fights are really fantastic, but the combat sequence involving the three of them just felt somewhat disjointed.

I hate to bring up this comparison but it reminded me of the Sand Snakes vs Jaime and Bronn. That fight scene was soooooo bad.

The one that really got me was a "lazy slash" Sabine gave to the back/neck of one of the troopers.

Minor peeve. I was also a little annoyed they were running with the lightsabers on.

19 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Honestly, my thought is that Ray Stevenson is the only part of this that was perfect for live action. Everything else would have translated so much better if it was a cartoon (basically, Rebels Season 5). The action works much better when there's more separation from real life. So I can agree that things always felt "off."

Who coincidentally is one of the very few characters created FOR live action, where we have no pre-concieved notions.

Pretty much Ezra was the only cartoon character that I felt they absolutely nailed with his live action casting. No one is BAD in their roles, but maybe they're harder to translate.

14 hours ago, Reputator said:

Well, you guys were right about the ending just being a set up for the new movie. That was pretty ho-hum to be honest.

So Ahsoka was afraid to train Sabine because she thought she might be too dangerous. And yeah, we finally see her use the force. OK. Great. Still feels tacked onto her character, but why not?

The Night Troopers being undead was confirmed. Morgan becoming a witch was short lived and didn't lead up to anything. Whatever Baylan was up to wasn't shown, and won't ever get a satisfying conclusion because of Ray Stevenson's passing. I'm pretty underwhelmed overall. The last two episodes just felt like chess moves to get the characters to positions where they need to be to start the next big thing. In general I'm not a fan of movies/series/whatever that can't stand on its own, and it seems like this series really was built as a support structure for future movies, with no real emotional payoff or complete arc of its own, other than Ezra getting home.

Yeah, my feelings match this pretty closely. It was just another table-setting episode rather than a series finale. Again, way too much action for a 45 minute episode. We got, what? A few scenes of Sabine and Ezra just hanging out and talking and like one of Ezra and Ahsoka and we never got any of the three of them together over the course of 8 episodes that was meant to ostensibly be Star Wars: Rebels season 5, 12 years later. It took way too long to get to this extragalactic planet and plenty remains unexplained. Also switching who is stuck on the faraway planet with Ezra and Thrawn trading places with Ahsoka and Sabine is lame as fuck. Just get the Rebels cast back together for goodness sake. I liked the episode as an episode of the show, but not as a season finale. And is an Ahsoka season 2 even confirmed, especially with Disney scaling back the flood of Marvel and Star Wars projects? If it's all to be in the crossover movie, again, then this needed more ooomph as a lead in to that. And I guess we won't learn how Ezra and Thrawn got separated when they were on the bridge and what their lives were like for 12 years on this planet, which is bizarre because it definitely requires explaining. Undoing the "Ezra has him" ending of Rebels by just skipping over what happened (Ezra in this episode is like: "Thrawn found this place, woke up the witches, rebuilt his starship, it wasn't safe to come here alone" is completely inadequate. Surely Thrawn would have tried hunting him down over the course of 12 years). 

Also, it sucks, but I'm sure they'll recast Baylan, they aren't going to drop his plotline.

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Also switching who is stuck on the faraway planet with Ezra and Thrawn trading places with Ahsoka and Sabine is lame as fuck.

It really is. It just feels hollow. They didn't set up anything for them to do, so it's not exactly exciting to see what they'll do there. Maybe if we saw what Baylan was doing and got a better glimpse of the threat they potentially face there, but instead I guess we're supposed to get hyped about their next big adventure helping the crawdads cook and clean.

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

We got, what? A few scenes of Sabine and Ezra just hanging out and talking and like one of Ezra and Ahsoka and we never got any of the three of them together over the course of 8 episodes that was meant to ostensibly be Star Wars: Rebels season 5, 12 years later.

Ha, enough kidding around! It hasn't been 12 years.

It hasn't been 12 years, has it?

IT HASN'T BEEN 12 YEARS??

I think there was a lot to like about Ahsoka of the finale and as a whole, but overall I think it was a narrative failure, especially for people who haven't watched all the shows.

Live action Thrawn is given such a short shrift here. He's well portrayed and the design of his troopers and star destroyer are great, but we're constantly being told how dangerous he is without ever really being shown why we should fear him. They had him alone in another galaxy; they could have shown him having conquered the planet or having enlisted foreign armies to bolster his ranks, or at least given away the specifics of his cargo (which I can guess at but still feels insufficient). If nothing else they could have flashed back to some rebels stuff to show us why he deserves his reputation.

Unless I missed something, they didn't really explain why the old mothers were indebted to him. There was a line about him awakening them, but that was all I caught. It seemed like he needed them much more than vice-versa, but they were very much at his beck and call. Some more insight into that whole relationship would have gone a long way towards illustrating why he's such a dangerous enemy. Show us his ability to plan and win allies and build something formidable even when banished to the end of nowhere. Instead, it was all "trust us, he's dangerous."

(As an aside, I'll also feel that having a whole trilogy of post New Republic stories really dampens the impact of the whole prospect of Thrawn rebooting the Empire. They probably weave him into the First Order somewhere, but we already know that story, so I definitely felt less concerned about the galaxy wide implications of Thrawns return.)

Baylan and Shin also got less than they deserved in the end. Some hint as to what Baylan was looking for or why he thought Shin was special or anything else would have made them feel anything other than disposable. Again, if you've seen everything Star Wars and can read the tea leaves then you've got more to go on, but that should be reward rather than requirement.

When it comes to the main characters, I don't think the ending had the emotional impact that it seems like it should have on paper. When Ezra disappeared, it felt heroic and potentially final. With Ahsoka and Sabine and Baylan and Shin and Huyang all left stranded, there hardly feels like an "if" they will return, but rather a "when." It felt neither satisfying nor suspenseful.

The show looks amazing and I do want to see this story continue, but it feels like a weird middle chapter, incomplete and insufficient.

• True 1
  • Halal 3

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

When the realization of that switch dawned on me, I audibly groaned out loud.

Yeah, I pretty much did the same. An irritating trope, keeping great ensembles separated. 

16 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It really is. It just feels hollow. They didn't set up anything for them to do, so it's not exactly exciting to see what they'll do there. Maybe if we saw what Baylan was doing and got a better glimpse of the threat they potentially face there, but instead I guess we're supposed to get hyped about their next big adventure helping the crawdads cook and clean.

Yeah, there's no sense of urgency when there should be. And yeah, I meant the in-universe timeline. It's been almost 6 years since the end of Rebels in real life though, which is also crazy to think about.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think there was a lot to like about Ahsoka of the finale and as a whole, but overall I think it was a narrative failure, especially for people who haven't watched all the shows.

The show looks amazing and I do want to see this story continue, but it feels like a weird middle chapter, incomplete and insufficient.

All of your thoughts mirror my own. Just felt like another chapter in the story with some big gaps in not showing us some things.

• Like 1

First, some overall thoughts on the state of the Star Wars universe.

It seems like there are three tracks in this universe that I'll just label A, B, and C (not an indicator of quality just a label)

A-track: The kid friendly stuff. i.e. Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, The Phantom Menace
B-track: Meant for general audiences. i.e. Mandalorian, Boba Fett, most of the films
C-track: Not necessarily for adults but caters to them more heavily. i.e. Tales of the Jedi, Andor, The Last Jedi, Rogue One

These aren't hard and fast rules but just casual observations and generalities. There's a lot of AB crossover and BC crossover, but very little AC crossover. I think this concept works pretty well for the most part. And I enjoy things at varying levels on all three tracks. And I've enjoyed everything that's squarely on the C track. Star Wars is so big that I think this multi-track approach is the best way to handle this IP.

One way I think this breaks down for people is when they try to consistently force an AC combo or combine all three tracks. While I enjoyed Mandalorian season 3 for the most part, a lot of its detractors' arguments are rooted in this issue. And I think it's my primary issue with this Ahsoka series.

For every depression fuel Anakin vision moment (C) there's an Ezra stopping the army sent to kill him by saying "Wait!" Saturday morning cartoonish buffoonery moment (A). The show also seems to require a pretty developed knowledge of two cartoons I've only seen once through. Why not just make a Rebels season 5 and stay on that A track? Especially since I need to have seen that entire show to know what's going on here? I've seen every Star Wars thing and read lots of the EU stuff but I was still having to go look a bunch of shit up to remind myself when watching this show.

But beyond that, it was also 1:1 on Thing/moment I loved : Thing/moment I didn't love for pretty much every aspect of the final product.

Beautiful cinematography and color schemes : Muddy VFX in many places
Deep dives into protagonists and their motivations and origins : Still know next to nothing about any of the villains, who seemed really fucking cool so that's a real shame
Cool and interesting on-screen appearance of an IP staple in one ep : Deus ex-machina rescue of a protagonist in a predicament by another IP staple off-screen
Some really great acting by a lot of the supporting cast : Titular character's actor could not be any more dry or one-note

I will say though, like I mentioned in another post, the lightsaber fights in this show in particular and in the Disney era in general are just the best. So fun to watch even in their goofiest moments because they actually feel extremely dangerous.

So overall I'm not "down" on the show. Just "meh" and I really hope season 2 can correct a lot of the things I outlined. Because it was just a bunch of table setting where not a lot happened overall. Those last three episodes feel like they could have easily combined into one (likely lengthier) episode.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

And I guess we won't learn how Ezra and Thrawn got separated when they were on the bridge and what their lives were like for 12 years on this planet, which is bizarre because it definitely requires explaining. Undoing the "Ezra has him" ending of Rebels by just skipping over what happened (Ezra in this episode is like: "Thrawn found this place, woke up the witches, rebuilt his starship, it wasn't safe to come here alone" is completely inadequate. Surely Thrawn would have tried hunting him down over the course of 12 years). 

The plot logistics just feel like "hey, go with it, don't think about it."  It seems strongly implied that Ezra was chilling with the rock people and staying away from Thrawn the entire time - 12 years of hide and seek. And that just feels lame, as you put it.

The Mothers were MacGuffins, just there to move the plot along. Morgan too, we don't get any insight into why they are fighting for Dathomir or working under Thrawn.

Baylan's arc was the most interesting, but it's literally just the start of it.

One of the emotional cores of the story was resolved by a droid. We found out the reason Ashoka stopped training Sabine through Hyuang's dialogue when neither of them were there to hear it. Lame.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The plot logistics just feel like "hey, go with it, don't think about it."  It seems strongly implied that Ezra was chilling with the rock people and staying away from Thrawn the entire time - 12 years of hide and seek. And that just feels lame, as you put it.

The Mothers were MacGuffins, just there to move the plot along. Morgan too, we don't get any insight into why they are fighting for Dathomir or working under Thrawn.

Baylan's arc was the most interesting, but it's literally just the start of it.

One of the emotional cores of the story was resolved by a droid. We found out the reason Ashoka stopped training Sabine through Hyuang's dialogue when neither of them were there to hear it. Lame.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with all of this. There's 12 years of stuff that clearly happened on Peridea, to gloss over it all is not great. It also seems strange now that Sabine wasn't involved in The Mandalorian season 3 because it was Moff Gideon and his crew who glassed Mandalore. If that's what killed her family and made Ahsoka worry that her continued training of Sabine might lead Sabine to the dark side (given her loss and anger), then I feel like Sabine would want to be involved in getting back at Moff Gideon.

And was it just me or did Sabine suddenly become really good at blocking blaster bolts with the lightsaber even though that requires additional Force training? She just started using the Force in general but then it seems like she's keeping up with Ezra (even if he is out of practice?). I love the idea from The Last Jedi and this show that "anyone can be a hero" (if the talent is there) but this seemed like quite a jump.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And was it just me or did Sabine suddenly become really good at blocking blaster bolts with the lightsaber even though that requires additional Force training? She just started using the Force in general but then it seems like she's keeping up with Ezra (even if he is out of practice?). I love the idea from The Last Jedi and this show that "anyone can be a hero" (if the talent is there) but this seemed like quite a jump.

Her armor did take a few hits. It would be neat if her helmet had constant tracking of enemy firearm directions so she would always be ready to block. Maybe if they set up she was relying on her tech too much, it would have been more impactful when she forced her lightsaber after her helm was knocked off.

• Halal 1

i truly think star wars is not an enjoyable thing to talk about online. nobody is every happy. nobody wants to celebrate the cool shit in the star wars universe. everybody wants to nitpick things about the story or characters. every scene has to be criticized. it’s way more enjoyable talking star wars with people irl. they have an opinion on TLJ but seem to enjoy pretty much everything else and understand star wars is fun and not trying to win awards.

y’all should just stick with andor (which i love too). i love the more adult stuff in star wars. im one of the biggest defenders of TLJ. but from what ive seen in this thread and what some of yall say about mando, i really dont think some of you should even bother watching those shows lol. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

i truly think star wars is not an enjoyable thing to talk about online. nobody is every happy. nobody wants to celebrate the cool shit in the star wars universe. everybody wants to nitpick things about the story or characters. every scene has to be criticized. it’s way more enjoyable talking star wars with people irl. they have an opinion on TLJ but seem to enjoy pretty much everything else and understand star wars is fun and not trying to win awards.

y’all should just stick with andor (which i love too). i love the more adult stuff in star wars. im one of the biggest defenders of TLJ. but from what ive seen in this thread and what some of yall say about mando, i really dont think some of you should even bother watching those shows lol. 

We "nitpick" because we absolutely adore this universe and genuinely wish for it to be the best that it could possibly be.

People don't "nitpick" because they're apathetic about something.

And besides, there have been many posts in this thread that clearly state how enjoyable many aspects of this series are.

• Halal 2

Star Wars is my favorite media franchise/IP/whatever. I enjoy pretty much every movie, show, video game, book or comic at some level. And its best material is IMO some of the best sci-fi/fantasy storytelling and filmmaking ever. So I know the dizzying highs it's capable of and would like it to reach those heights when it shoots for them. When it doesn't reach those heights I'm going to criticize it.

Plus half the fun of pop culture shit is discussing it on the Internet! :P

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I'm in agreement with all of this. There's 12 years of stuff that clearly happened on Peridea, to gloss over it all is not great. It also seems strange now that Sabine wasn't involved in The Mandalorian season 3 because it was Moff Gideon and his crew who glassed Mandalore. If that's what killed her family and made Ahsoka worry that her continued training of Sabine might lead Sabine to the dark side (given her loss and anger), then I feel like Sabine would want to be involved in getting back at Moff Gideon.

That's a really good point about Sabine. She was inexplicably missing throughout that whole thing and yet we're led to believe she was heavily involved in the events that lead up to S3 Mandalorian.

And yeah she totally went from can't move a coffee cup, to instantly and confidently pushing a human being through the air.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, johnny said:

So Ahsoka (the show) is above criticism? I'm a very forgiving Star Wars fan but "cool shit" isn't gonna pass muster on its own for me. I'm not looking for Andor and I'm not looking for adult. I'm looking for great and consistent writing and character storytelling.

As I think @Reputator stated previously, one of the fantastic characteristics of this series is its unhesitating embrace of the mystical/weird aspects of the setting, something that I personally feel has been severely underutilized to this point.

Hell, we got to see statues of the Mortis gods!

WWW.POLYGON.COM

The weirdest thing George Lucas ever personally added to Star Wars

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As I think @Reputator stated previously, one of the fantastic characteristics of this series is its unhesitating embrace of the mystical/weird aspects of the setting, something that I personally feel has been severely underutilized to this point.

Hell, we got to see statues of the Mortis gods!

WWW.POLYGON.COM

The weirdest thing George Lucas ever personally added to Star Wars

That actually sounds really cool, and only makes me MORE intrigued about Baylan's quest!

If you want to know what Baylan is doing it’s 

finding Abeloth, the mother. She was not a mortis god, but started off mortal. Then became an evil being believed to be the most powerful force entity in all of Star Wars lore. At least in Legends.

I enjoyed the episode. I get what people are talking about with the fighting looking off at times. I think that’s due to the coverage used. That weird strike by Sabine looked like the actress protecting the prop saber. The blades aren’t CG. These are practically the same lightsabers you can buy from any replica house that makes LED lightsabers. It’s cheaper than rotoscoping or tracking a virtual blade and comes with the benefit of lighting the characters and environment. What we saw was equivalent to bad camera angles in fight scenes where you see an actor’s punch miss a person by a foot or more. 

my guess is it’s a lack of time. They can do it with 1v1 fights better, but they had not only a runtime goal, but also likely a shooting time goal too. So instead of more shots of each of them in the best angles for the action and choreography you see all of them in a shot, in flat angles, or you see action captured from a bad angle that shows the “pulled punches” you wouldn’t see otherwise. 

I suspect more casual viewers, the ones that haven’t seen clone wars and rebels, they aren’t as concerned with understanding the lore reasons of who people are and why they are there. They’re taking everything more at face value. Empire bad, Jedi good, politicians also bad, green skin lady for some reason has a human pink skin child. No further questions. 

• Halal 2

I appreciate that it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at this point, the D+ Star Wars shows are (with the notable exception of *parts* of Andor), vibes based shows. Doesn't matter if you're only getting 8 - 10 episodes of Ahsoka / Mando or basically ALL of Book of Boba Fett... this medium is less about "moving the plot" as it is living in its own space. These things all exist in the gaps between well established, galaxy shaping events.

I think this is both good and occasionally "bad." It's probably at its least interesting when it's trying to set up future events. Not because there are "no stakes" because we know the Republic is going to fall to the First Order or whatever, just because these shows haven't shown much interest in having those "reveals" be "big." While I personally like this, I appreciate that it's potentially unsatisfying. I get that if someone is super into badass Boba Fett, Book was probably an excruciating show. And while I wouldn't say it's great nor would I want all of these shows to be in that vein, I think it was a big swing to take a character known in the lore to be a badass and base a whole show on him coming to terms with how little that has gotten him and being someone that stands up for the native people and species of a place. Yes the execution left something to be desired but I think it was as ambitious as Andor in its own way.

One of the few more adjacent to objectively bad (but still fine for me) bits of these shows is that there clearly isn't enough time / juice to make it all look right. Most of the fights in Ahsoka were good, but some could have benefitted from the tried and true method of just... speeding up the shot. I wonder if some of the things that have been affecting Marvel properties have come up here. It's wild that this show came out a few years after Mando raiding the Jawa sandcrawler and some of the action here just looks slow. It's a shame because it makes some of the fights (or that modder chase in Boba particularly) look worse than they should.

As for Ahsoka generally... I liked it. Might have been better to call it "Ahsoka and Sabine" or something, because for a character known for her growth across Clone Wars, there wasn't a ton of movement for her here. Yes it's a much shorter timeframe, but she came face to face with Anakin! And she ostensibly learned from that, but... it never really paid off? And while I liked Baylan a great deal, I don't know that he made a ton of sense here when you think about it at all. Vibes were on point though. We know Thrawn's plan is ultimately doomed even if we don't know the specifics, but I wish we got more of... what the fuck he was doing or intends to do, or why the Nightsisters and he have so much respect for one another given that his main accomplishment seems to be letting most of his crew die.

On the topic of the fights, I know it's a fool's errand to expect these things to make sense, but... I feel like Ahsoka took too many L's here. She's held her own against Maul! She's handled peak Vader! Yeah I guess Baylan is super dope, whatever, but Elsbeth? What are we even doing here.

• Halal 3