Star Wars: Ahsoka (Disney+) OUT NOW! - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Gavin King said:

Surprised they had Ezra hologram reference Sabine as a sister. They always had hints of a romance, even in these first two episodes. If they do go down the romance angle, super weird, especially for star wars, to reference brother/sister bonding.... makes me think there's no way they're going down that angle now.

Yeah even Rebels sort of shut that down pretty early on. Ezra was crushing on her early in the show but it fizzled pretty quick and didn't go anywhere. I see no reason for them to force that in on this show.

8 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Ohhh nice, I was pretty positive that was a nod when I was watching it live but couldn’t exactly remember. 

I love the little touches. The Empire sympathy introduced in Mando seen here again. Sabine being the Indiana Jones of Jedi relics like she was when Ezra went through the World Between Worlds. Also, the significance of 3 figures being the key to open doorways, secret compartments, map spheres, and whatever else they'll think of next.

That was extremely well-made, competent, fun Star Wars! It's really cool to see a lot of Star Wars Rebels stuff in live-action yet still retaining the same feel as the show. A lot of setup in these episodes but woven well into the character arcs they're exploring. Also great to see Clancy Brown reprise his role. I look forward to more. The only things I'm confused by are: 1) Didn't Syndulla have a son with Kanan? Will that come up presumably? 2) Why has no one mentioned Kanan even once? Perhaps eventually. 3) Why would a star map ball in an ancient temple lead to the random point Thrawn and Ezra presumably went via the purgill? Or is Morgan Elsbeth, Nightsister of Dathomir and ally of Thrawn, just hoping this ancient map will happen to lead her to Thrawn based on her feels? 4) At what point did Sabine ever show any Force sensitivity? I don't remember that at all. Am I misremembering? 5) It's weird having all the crew together on screen, including Chopper and a Loth-cat but no Zeb (I know he had a cameo in The Mandalorian season 3)? I imagine having an all CG creature around in every scene would be too expensive, but he better show up. I mean, annoying ass Chopper but no Zeb?

A lot more show to go so perhaps these questions will be answered in time.

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That was extremely well-made, competent, fun Star Wars! It's really cool to see a lot of Star Wars Rebels stuff in live-action yet still retaining the same feel as the show. A lot of setup in these episodes but woven well into the character arcs they're exploring. Also great to see Clancy Brown reprise his role. I look forward to more. The only things I'm confused by are: 1) Didn't Syndulla have a son with Kanan? Will that come up presumably? 2) Why has no one mentioned Kanan even once? Perhaps eventually. 3) Why would a star map ball in an ancient temple lead to the random point Thrawn and Ezra presumably went via the purgill? Or is Morgan Elsbeth, Nightsister of Dathomir and ally of Thrawn, just hoping this ancient map will happen to lead her to Thrawn based on her feels? 4) At what point did Sabine ever show any Force sensitivity? I don't remember that at all. Am I misremembering? 4) It's weird having all the crew together on screen, including Chopper and a Loth-cat but no Zeb (I know he had a cameo in The Mandalorian season 3)? I imagine having an all CG creature around in every scene would be too expensive, but he better show up. I mean, annoying ass Chopper but no Zeb?

A lot more show to go so perhaps these questions will be answered in time.

1) Yes. One assumes he’ll either show up or perhaps Hera will be one of the few responsible parents in the canon and leave her kiddo to be raised on Ryloth or daycare or something :p

2) I assume he’ll come up. If it turns out he’s the masked Inquisitor I will light myself on fire.

3) It’s clearly a map to another galaxy, why Elsbeth assumes it leads to Thrawn is a mystery. As we know from the end of Rebels it’s possible to use the Force to move through space and time; maybe she’s looked into the future, or seen that galaxy and knows he’s there but needs a Halo array to get him and his fleet back? Who knows. The REAL question here is why the fuck everyone in this galaxy leaves esoteric maps in random ass places.

4) She did not show Force sensitivity in Rebels. Before Mando got his hands on the Darksaber and had some of the same issues using it that Sabine did when Kanan was giving her fencing lessons, I’d assumed that some of the “heaviness” Kanan and Sabine talked about was potentially Force related… but that seems unlikely now that Mando seemed to have the same problems Sabine did.

4 again) Yes, agreed. The people demand Zeb. Also you take that back about Chopper right fucking now.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

1) Yes. One assumes he’ll either show up or perhaps Hera will be one of the few responsible parents in the canon and leave her kiddo to be raised on Ryloth or daycare or something :p

2) I assume he’ll come up. If it turns out he’s the masked Inquisitor I will light myself on fire.

3) It’s clearly a map to another galaxy, why Elsbeth assumes it leads to Thrawn is a mystery. As we know from the end of Rebels it’s possible to use the Force to move through space and time; maybe she’s looked into the future, or seen that galaxy and knows he’s there but needs a Halo array to get him and his fleet back? Who knows. The REAL question here is why the fuck everyone in this galaxy leaves esoteric maps in random ass places.

4) She did not show Force sensitivity in Rebels. Before Mando got his hands on the Darksaber and had some of the same issues using it that Sabine did when Kanan was giving her fencing lessons, I’d assumed that some of the “heaviness” Kanan and Sabine talked about was potentially Force related… but that seems unlikely now that Mando seemed to have the same problems Sabine did.

4 again) Yes, agreed. The people demand Zeb. Also you take that back about Chopper right fucking now.

1. Yeah I'd take that explanation but given Syndulla's parent tendencies I guess I just imagined a more hands-on mom, but being a general in the Rebellion and then the New Republic was first, to be fair.

2. There's no way he's the masked Inquisitor (his name was given as "Marrok" by Morgan and Baylan). He seemed to be under Baylan and his apprentice so I'm assuming he's the first sub-boss scrub who is gonna get got. Though with a mask on I'm wondering if that's to keep it to a stunt guy or they are intentionally hiding the character's real identity. But yeah if that was Kanan I'd throw in the towel. But more Kanan mentions, c'mon show!

3. Yeah, so much Star Wars (including the recent games Fallen Order and Survivor) do this and I'm like: "the problem happening today has nothing to do with random star map balls from ancient civilizations" but sure, maybe? :p 

4. That's what I thought, I assume they may elaborate more on that given it's been 9+ years since the end of Star Wars Rebels (and the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope). A lot can happen in a decade.

5. R2D2 is great. BB-8 is great. BD-1 is awesome. C-3PO is mildly annoying and irritating but serves functions from time to time. Chopper was constantly ruining missions, fucking things up, and it often wasn't funny in Rebels but childish slapstick nonsense. I'm glad he's here since he's part of the crew but I already like David Tennant's robot guy Huyang infinitely more. :p 

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

Sabine had no force ability, and both she and Ahsoka's droid mentioned that in the second episode.

That's what I thought, but then why would Ahsoka ever bring her on as a Padawan in the first place then? A lot of the drama between them is about this thing Rebels never hinted at that took place entirely off-screen after Rebels ended. Kind of a weird plot invention when there were so many other ways to get these two characters to a crossroads with each other.

2 hours ago, Gavin King said:

Chopper's awesome, come on now.

Yeah, I love robots who frequently jeopardize the mission for bad slapstick comedy. :p 

This is a stretch but in the temple there were pictures of the pergill on the walls in a circle in the same way the Loth Wolves were on the Jedi Temple on Lothal. Maybe the Map points to where the Pergill usually live or are from? With the assumption that if you find the where the Pergill usually are you’ll likely find where they took Thrawn?

I dunno that’s where my mind is at on the whole thing. 

I assume we’ll see Zeb at some point but the end of Rebels had him back on his race’s new “homeworld” right? So I assume they’ll just go get him when they need him. 

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This is a stretch but in the temple there were pictures of the pergill on the walls in a circle in the same way the Loth Wolves were on the Jedi Temple on Lothal. Maybe the Map points to where the Pergill usually live or are from? With the assumption that if you find the where the Pergill usually are you’ll likely find where they took Thrawn?

I assume we’ll see Zeb at some point but the end of Rebels had him back on his race’s new “homeworld” right? So I assume they’ll just go get him when they need him. 

When Morgan brought up the galaxy map, there was a similar circle of hyperspace whales leading to where she believed Thrawn was.

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

That's my guess as well, that the purgill must have some location/home waypoint they frequent regularly or something and this map knows their hyperspace paths or something. They'll definitely have to elaborate on it unless we want another broken item quest thing like the shit that was in Rise of Skywalker that made no sense.

16 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll need to rewatch the rebels stuff. Lightsabers are traditionally heavier than they look like they might be. Based on some dialog in shows and maybe comics anyway. The hilt atleast. The blades are supposedly very light. 

the Darkblade being so heavy in the blade to Mando is (assumed as there is no on screen confirmation) the Darksaber rejecting Mando as it’s weirder. And by “Darksaber” it means the living lightsaber crystal inside. He didn’t have an issue wielding it until he gave it up to Bo Katan. It felt rejected and so is rejecting him. At least that’s the theory. I dunno, maybe Filloni or Favreau have confirmed it. 

Why some lightsabers can reject a person and become unwieldy while others don’t care and will let their owner be killed by them? I don’t know that either. Just writers making up  what they want when they want. Which I find both respectable and annoying at the same time. lol 

• True 1

The most jarring thing for me with the show being live action is the difference in … well the action scenes. You’re used to seeing characters able to fight and move certain ways with a speed, fluidity, agility, ferocity that isn’t always easy to get in live action, and especially with the limited time the actors have to train. Rosario looks and moves better than she did in Mandalorian season 2, but you can tell the directing and editing is having to make up some ground at times, especially for other characters. It’s the heavy use of up close angles and quick cuts vs having pulled back wide shots like they do in animation to really show off the action. 

with the time, budget, and prep of a Star Wars movie they could more pull it off. Like the Darth Maul fight, but even more so the Anakin v Kenobi fight in Ep3. 

• True 1

I actually think the fights look much better in love action. Rebels art style was always just barely passable for me. And the fights had this jarring look like they were shown in a lower frame rate. Now if we were talking about the fight scenes from the Castlevania Anime or Vox Machina, then I could see wanting to stay animated haha

• True 1

51 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

wasnt Zeb with the new republic in Mando season 3? 

I think somehow I got quoted when you meant to quote @Mercury33. :p In my earlier post I mentioned we got a Zeb camero in Mandalorian season 3 but I have lamented we haven't gotten him in Ahsoka, yet. Mercury was the one mentioning the end of Rebels and Zeb and his homeworld. But yeah that post wasn't mine, weird. 

7 minutes ago, ort said:

If I've never watched Rebels or Clone Wars and would struggle to name even 3 facts about Ashoka... should I bother watching this?

Yes and no. The show is deep nerd lore Star Wars for sure, but I think you can understand the histories between the characters by implication, maybe? Hard to say. I wouldn't watch it without at least a passing understanding myself.

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think somehow I got quoted when you meant to quote @Mercury33. :p In my earlier post I mentioned we got a Zeb camero in Mandalorian season 3 but I have lamented we haven't gotten him in Ahsoka, yet. Mercury was the one mentioning the end of Rebels and Zeb and his homeworld. But yeah that post wasn't mine, weird. 

nah, just pointing out that the last last time we saw him was in Mando. So maybe he left his people again. Or maybe the scene at the end of rebels takes place even after the current timeline. Just about anything’s possible from the land of fan service cameos. 

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, ort said:

If I've never watched Rebels or Clone Wars and would struggle to name even 3 facts about Ashoka... should I bother watching this?

maybe. But I’m not sure you’d feel any attachment to the characters or why they’re doing anything. I would be interested to see what a person who’s never seen the animated shows thinks of Ahsoka so far. I felt a little out of the loop when characters were talking about stuff the happened between the shows, and I’m sure I’m the target audience, a person who’s seen both animated shows and already knows all these characters.  

4 hours ago, ort said:

IMO, no not yet. This show is using quite a bit of lore from all previous SW media, especially from Clone Wars and Rebels. On top of the explicit call-backs to prior shows, there are a lot of non-verbal throwbacks as well. The first two episodes don't do much to bring you up to speed with these characters, because they are calling back to some off-screen character history that took place between shows to give us veteran viewers something to latch onto.

But maybe it does some crazy things that don't require all of that history by the end of the run to warrant a watch, and if the rumored upcoming Star Wars films are still a go then Filoni is going to finish off this series with an actual movie.

For as much as I loved Rebels, Mando, and Clone Wars, and as much as I enjoyed the first two eps of Ahsoka, I think this show is Exhibit A in the Marvelization of Star Wars. 

You have to do so much "homework" to really absorb all the aspects of this show. If you hadn't already watched Rebels and a decent chunk of Clone Wars, then Ahsoka won't hit for you. And on one hand, that's a shame. But for fans like me who's all the way in, I'm really really loving it. 

I've become that which I despise. :sun:

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

For as much as I loved Rebels, Mando, and Clone Wars, and as much as I enjoyed the first two eps of Ahsoka, I think this show is Exhibit A in the Marvelization of Star Wars. 

You have to do so much "homework" to really absorb all the aspects of this show. If you hadn't already watched Rebels and a decent chunk of Clone Wars, then Ahsoka won't hit for you. And on one hand, that's a shame. But for fans like me who's all the way in, I'm really really loving it. 

I've become that which I despise. :sun:

I dunno my wife and sister both loved the first two episodes and neither have seen either of the cartoon shows. 

But they also don’t fall into the group of people who have been corrupted by Netflix and binge watching everything. They’re totally fine if there are a few things that aren’t explained right away because they assume the show will lead them there(this is been a running theme for almost every single Star Wars show so far). But if you’re one of those people who needs everything right away then yeah I’m sure those first two episodes were pretty tough haha. 

What I find funny and a little annoying is that that Ahsoka seemingly wants you to have seen at least 3 other shows, and then the stuff between Ahsoka and Sabine still happened off screen in between all the shows. And the show makes it seem pretty important to Sabine and Ahsoka and their relationship to each other. Though I have a feeling the show is going to move past it now and only focus on the present of their relationship rather than the past we didn’t see. 

It worries me a bit how quickly this series failed to follow the adage “show, don’t tell”. It would be like if the relationship between Han and Leia changed significantly between ANH and ESB and everyone talks as if we already know. 

Minor show spoilers

when they first declared that Sabine had been Ashoka’s padawan/apprentice I initially had 2 thoughts. “Are they reconning Kanan being the one that trained Sabine to wield the Darksaber just so they don’t have to explain who Kanan was?” and “are they making Sabine force sensitive now?” 

and at the moment none of that is true. lol which isn’t great as far as writing character relationships for characters we’re already supposed to know.

• True 1

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I dunno my wife and sister both loved the first two episodes and neither have seen either of the cartoon shows. 

But they also don’t fall into the group of people who have been corrupted by Netflix and binge watching everything. They’re totally fine if there are a few things that aren’t explained right away because they assume the show will lead them there(this is been a running theme for almost every single Star Wars show so far). But if you’re one of those people who needs everything right away then yeah I’m sure those first two episodes were pretty tough haha. 

Well then I'm very pleased to be proven wrong in your case!

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Maybe it's not so bad going in blind, because my impression of the show so far is the characters are trying too damn hard to imitate the animated versions, and it simply is not translating to live action. From subtle (and not so subtle) mannerisms, their body posture, and down to the inflection of their voice, the real life actors just seem like average impersonators to me. Of course, it certainly doesn't help when Filoni also copies the exact same camera shots from the animated series too.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Maybe it's not so bad going in blind, because my impression of the show so far is the characters are trying too damn hard to imitate the animated versions, and it simply is not translating to live action. From subtle (and not so subtle) mannerisms, their body posture, and down to the inflection of their voice, the real life actors just seem like average impersonators to me. Of course, it certainly doesn't help when Filoni also copies the exact same camera shots from the animated series too.

yeah it’s a problem with playing a character that was brought to life and given an established personality by other people. And unlike something like a comic book movie this isn’t a different version of a character. It’s expected to be the very same character in the same universe. 

though I feel like the camera angles are more because of not shooting on a massive set, or on location. Someplace where they have a lot of room. They’re shooting most of these shows on the Volume, which is probably barely bigger than the inside of Ahsoka’s ship. I say this because we got these same camera angles in every Star Wars show … and even some of the marvel movies since Endgame. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

though I feel like the camera angles are more because of not shooting on a massive set, or on location. Someplace where they have a lot of room. They’re shooting most of these shows on the Volume, which is probably barely bigger than the inside of Ahsoka’s ship. I say this because we got these same camera angles in every Star Wars show … and even some of the marvel movies since Endgame. 

As always, The Volume is great and I know I keep harping on this but it shows why Andor is better (which was shot on real locations). Constantly having scenes with less than 10-15 people all the time, shown in the same ways, even when done well, really show the limitations. It's why there's a tactile feeling to the MCU's Eternals (shot on real locations) vs. their other CG-heavy films shot on green screens.

That being said, I thought Ahsoka was shot pretty well (fight scenes came off weirdly slow) and I didn't have any cognitive dissonance squaring this with Star Wars Rebels, personally.