PS5 Pro rumors circulating

crispy4000

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t see the reason for this outside of there being enough suckers out there.  RE4 is a huge upcoming release and it’s still getting last gen ports.  Why bother making a pro version of a console that’s still being somewhat kneecapped by the PS4/Bone generation?

What % of AAA PS5 games are managing 4k/60fps with their highest graphics settings?

• True 1

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What % of AAA PS5 games are managing 4k/60fps with their highest graphics settings?

What difference does it make if no one is targeting those specs?  If devs aren’t going to put in the extra effort to make those assets because the game needs to run on a ten year old console, why pay a premium for a box that could do those things?  

• True 1

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

What difference does it make if no one is targeting those specs?  If devs aren’t going to put in the extra effort to make those assets because the game needs to run on a ten year old console, why pay a premium for a box that could do those things?  

Perhaps, if consoles had more powerful hardware, the current crop of games could run at those specs.

It takes a lot of power to run a 1080p/30 ps4 game at 4k/60, I think people have this idea that doing so is way less demanding than it is. You need an 8x power jump to this on a gpu level. That’s pretty close to the power jump from ps4 to ps5. 

You want games to have a nice iq and run at smooth frame rates AND look like they are advanced a generation beyond last gen? If you don’t have magic at your disposal idk what the plan is besides a more powerful console.

The problem on current gen gets solved by scaling down resolution and starting to lock to 30fps so they can push more advanced graphics. Not everyone wants to give up the Iq, that’s what a pro console would be for.

We aren’t going to hit a point sometime next year where the consoles just become 4x more powerful over night. Either graphics stay the same or they get better but IQ suffers. So you have a pro console option for people who don’t want to sacrifice either but hate pcs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

No disagreement on that first part, in theory.  Sony already dropped Nvidia once, who knows what it would take to build that relationship back.

When did Sony have an nVidia gpu?

EDIT: oh, that’s right - PS3 had that weird nvidia GPU

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You don't make a change like that mid-gen.

If Nvidia is in a position to make an x86 APU, Sony could consider them.  Are they?

If this is in reference to my post, it was sarcasm :p 

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

The problem on current gen gets solved by scaling down resolution and starting to lock to 30fps so they can push more advanced graphics. Not everyone wants to give up the Iq, that’s what a pro console would be for.

A pro console will also encourage more PS5 / Series X games not to target 60, or even 1440p or higher for resolution modes.

On the plus side, PC gaming will feel less held back.

i thinking I’m going to sit this next one out.  It’s going to take me too long to get through the PS5/PS4 games I currently own, and I don't foresee any major visual upgrades to them.  Playing Fallen Order recently made me realize totally I'm fine with 1440p60 on consoles for as long as that holds.  In some ways I may even prefer it when it means avoiding the #stutterstruggle.

As for future games, I’d like to build a new PC a bit better than the capability of midgen hardware instead.  The games will all end up there anyways, which I know going into it this time.

Outside of Nintendo’s, of course.  Which means I’m buying their new machine next.

The problem with the PS4 is that it was outdated on release. A mid-gen refresh was essential, and they still managed to drag out that gen with aging hardware. Sure the PS5 can't compete with higher end PCs, but that's always going to be the case with consoles. The PS5 has decent internals for a modern console, and devs still haven't really taken advantage of what it has to offer.

It would be silly to come out with Pro versions when the base versions have just now started to become widely available. People don't care about graphics and performance that much anymore. Nintendo's whole business depends on that and they're still crushing it 6 years later.

19 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Ray-tracing is probably the least impressive graphical upgrade that I've seen in all my years of gaming.  Like lots of buzzy GFX terms through the ages, its impact on enhancing/innovating/improving gameplay is extremely minimal so far.  It can be impressive if somebody points it out and shows the difference between a RT and non-RT image, but once a game is in motion, I don't understand why we should give a shit.  In terms of actually affecting the image, to my eyes HDR makes more of a difference, but it also does not enhance the gameplay to any degree.  This gen is a bust.

Completely disagree. I don't know how better IQ can be anything but great. 

If you don't think RT adds anything, you haven't seen RT done well. 

18 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Ray-tracing is probably the least impressive graphical upgrade that I've seen in all my years of gaming.  Like lots of buzzy GFX terms through the ages, its impact on enhancing/innovating/improving gameplay is extremely minimal so far.  It can be impressive if somebody points it out and shows the difference between a RT and non-RT image, but once a game is in motion, I don't understand why we should give a shit.  In terms of actually affecting the image, to my eyes HDR makes more of a difference, but it also does not enhance the gameplay to any degree.  This gen is a bust.

Like most graphical upgrades these things tend to aid with immersion. Making the environment look at feel more real as the worlds are lit more naturally. The technology and implementation is getting better and better. 

but the technology isn’t quite there yet. And it’s not like these mod gen refreshes are going to be $5000 gaming PCs in a form factor smaller than a PS5 for under $1000. So the improvement will be marginal. I think the best we may be able to hope for is similar looking quality with RT on, but getting above 30fps. And 120fps with RT off. And 2TB of storage. 

depending on the improvements made over the next 5 years or so will determine how capable consoles are with RT next gen with the PS6 and the Xbox Teraflopatron 5000. And maybe here we will start to really feel the difference with having Ray tracing.  

56 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

The problem with the PS4 is that it was outdated on release. A mid-gen refresh was essential, and they still managed to drag out that gen with aging hardware. Sure the PS5 can't compete with higher end PCs, but that's always going to be the case with consoles. The PS5 has decent internals for a modern console, and devs still haven't really taken advantage of what it has to offer.

It would be silly to come out with Pro versions when the base versions have just now started to become widely available. People don't care about graphics and performance that much anymore. Nintendo's whole business depends on that and they're still crushing it 6 years later.

Not everyone cares about graphics, but a lot of people do.  The sales successes of mid-cycle refreshes of last gen, and the pandemic-era computer GPU prices proved that.

• Halal 2

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not everyone cares about graphics, but a lot of people do.  The sales successes of mid-cycle refreshes of last gen, and the pandemic-era computer GPU prices proved that.

Agreed. I mean, ill always put performance first, but I don’t want to have to compromise. As soon as multi-platform releases stop hitting 60fps/1440 on console, I’ll probably buy them exclusively on PC. I can get equal graphics on my laptop with 165fps, or much better IQ with a steady 60. Without a mid generation refresh, my consoles basically turn into 1st party gaming/JRPG machines. 

I still do enjoy playing on console on my couch though. Especially for JRPG’s. Those are my main reasons for owning consoles after first party games. Final Fantasy feels wrong if im not on a couch with a big screen and console. I know that isn’t logical, but iy id what it is. 

47 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I think mid gen refreshes are less about keeping hardware from lagging and maximizing profits. Before all this refresh stuff you’d have Sony and Xbox just reducing price on consoles. Now they can still reduce price, but for a little more than the current hardware still costs to manufacture per unit hey can keep charging $500+. 

Even after the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X came out all console games were still made targeting the older hardware. So it didn’t remove any burdens from software developers. 

• True 1

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I mean it more in that the PS5 is going to sell great as-is for years and I think most people will be satisfied with its output. It just seems silly to invest in a new SKU and new hardware when you could focus on making your existing SKUs more profitable.

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think mid gen refreshes are less about keeping hardware from lagging and maximizing profits. Before all this refresh stuff you’d have Sony and Xbox just reducing price on consoles. Now they can still reduce price, but for a little more than the current hardware still costs to manufacture per unit hey can keep charging $500+. 

Even after the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X came out all console games were still made targeting the older hardware. So it didn’t remove any burdens from software developers. 

Yeah I agree, but times have changed. We're on year 6 of the Switch and have yet to see a price drop. And that hardware was dated 6 years ago! I don't think demand for the PS5 is going to go away anytime soon. To me it makes more sense to come out with a slim model as the mid-gen refresh and use mostly the same components.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah I agree, but times have changed. We're on year 6 of the Switch and have yet to see a price drop.

We actually saw a price increase making the OLED was an excuse to make more money. :p

That being said, Nintendo is kind of a bad company to go by price drops. WiiU never went down in price either.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That being said, Nintendo is kind of a bad company to go by price drops. WiiU never went down in price either.

I think it did actually when they dropped the WiiU Basic; the WiiU Deluxe was dropped in price to the Basic's previous price point. Though, I could def be misremembering :p 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it did actually when they dropped the WiiU Basic; the WiiU Deluxe was dropped in price to the Basic's previous price point. Though, I could def be misremembering :p 

Yeah according to Wikipedia that is correct. I mean, if you want to consider that a price drop. :p

3 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

The issue this time is that new software techniques and hardware features are blowing past the consoles at too fast a pace.  They're still a great value for the spec, and would be perfectly capable if the status quo was kept.  But now there's a huge, generational-sized gulf between PC and console 3 years in, plus lingering concerns about UE5 performance in the AAA space.

If not, we'd see games like Plauge Tale Requiem and Forbidden West set the technical bar at 30fps and 60fps respectably for most big releases.  I think the industry wants to push much further.  I think Sony (and Microsoft) sees the runway to push further.

3 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

The high demand for these consoles and the relative dearth of exclusively current-gen games illustrates just how much people care about performance and fidelity now.  It's been conditioned into console gamers, especially since the Pro/X1X.

60fps last gen games was pretty much the selling point the PS5/Series X rode on during the cross gen period.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah according to Wikipedia that is correct. I mean, if you want to consider that a price drop. :p

I think it's proof of what a failure that the WiiU was that it got to the point where Nintendo had to adjust models/prices :p 

29 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I mean it more in that the PS5 is going to sell great as-is for years and I think most people will be satisfied with its output. It just seems silly to invest in a new SKU and new hardware when you could focus on making your existing SKUs more profitable.

Yeah I agree, but times have changed. We're on year 6 of the Switch and have yet to see a price drop. And that hardware was dated 6 years ago! I don't think demand for the PS5 is going to go away anytime soon. To me it makes more sense to come out with a slim model as the mid-gen refresh and use mostly the same components.

Nintendo is targeting a different customer than Sony.

Mid-gen refreshes keep revenue high, and avoids losing customers if MS decides to do one.

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

probably why the rumor is estimating late 2024 for this refresh/Pro version. Come out with it right around the time sales start to plateau or even dip. Then get those who’ve been waiting to jump in at a lower price point, while encouraging those early adopters to buy back in with a new premium model that has slightly better specs. 

Sony and MS are almost taking a cell phone approach. 

22 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

RT is just this generations version of Blast Processing. 

:p

But seriously, besides saying, "Better shadows, better lighting, better reflections!" what is the actual mainstream draw for Ray-Tracing? CG Animators know what it is as they've been using it for almost two decades now. We know what it is because we're enthusiasts, but the general populace? Like you said, how you convince the public that "Improved Ray-Tracing!" is a big selling point? (Spoiler: It's not) 

Now saying things such as "8K Ready!" or "120FPS, or 240FPS modes included!" Now those have more sway I think in terms of what the mainstream would look for. The age of prettier graphics just doesn't have the same ring to it like it did back in the 2000s, let alone in the 80s, and 90s when things like 8-Bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit graphics was all the rage in advertisements. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I would upgrade my XSX if Microsoft got rid of that stupid proprietary m.2 expansion BS in favor of normal m.2s.

You can replace the internal 2230 m.2, you don’t have to use the rear expansion. But you can get adapters for that as well, which works with the short m.2’s . 

dUy9Fpz6U4oK36xgMJzEBZ-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Cheap Xbox Series X|S storage upgrades possible with conversion adapter.

still some limitations in which you can use, but better than having to buy their SSD expansion.