PS5 Pro rumors circulating

crispy4000

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Like this is all good an all, but when people turn it on and they're getting less than half the frames they were they're going to turn it off.

Just like how everyone turns off AA because of the performance hit since AA performance never improved since it was first introduced.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In reality, consoles will probably struggle with Ray Tracing in this next "Pro" evolution (because AMD).  However, the console refresh after that will probably have GPUs that will actually do RT right.

With how far the cutbacks were on Control even, I gotta think there’s still plenty further a Pro console could go with it.

We’d also see more PC games on average have RT features.

People forget how far away ray tracing used to seem until 2018 when nvidia surprised the industry with RTX. Nobody even expected it to hit this generation as a standard feature at all, it was a surprise it could do things as well as the RT reflections in Miles on these consoles.

Pro consoles could help a lot depending on what amd could muster, but looking at where they are at on the desktop side and figuring any pro system likely has its specs locked already, I wouldn’t expect tooo much advancement there.

RT has always been more of a next console gen thing for the real deal with pc being the early access.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

People forget how far away ray tracing used to seem until 2018 when nvidia surprised the industry with RTX. Nobody even expected it to hit this generation as a standard feature at all, it was a surprise it could do things as well as the RT reflections in Miles on these consoles.

Pro consoles could help a lot depending on what amd could muster, but looking at where they are at on the desktop side and figuring any pro system likely has its specs locked already, I wouldn’t expect tooo much advancement there.

RT has always been more of a next console gen thing for the real deal with pc being the early access.

Lol right? I think it was 2016-ish I said in some thread that RT will be the next big graphical step/leap, and someone argued with me that it'll never happen because "other techniques are just as good as RT so the performance cost would never be worth it."

... :daydream:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lol right? I think it was 2016-ish I said in some thread that RT will be the next big graphical step/leap, and someone argued with me that it'll never happen because "other techniques are just as good as RT so the performance cost would never be worth it."

I think you’ll still find people arguing that only now instead of it not happening it’s that it’s not worth it and only happening because it’s a hot “buzz word” or whatever and pretending that every studio has the time and money and talent that Naughty Dog does to fake these things. 

Though, even then ND is going to fall behind if they don’t start using it. 

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

To be fair, other global illumination techniques like Lumen and SSGI could be a decent trade-off for games with performance concerns.  It’s less obviously wrong that other screen space techniques can be.  Those techniques could also be expanded with better hardware, maybe even combined with some manner of RT to check it?  Wouldn’t be surprised if some console games today have gone there, or will in the future.

I always go back to this Days Gone vid to show what can be possible without RT with right hands, even on last gen hardware.

Lumen is essentially just highly optimized hybrid software ray tracing anyway and it also supports hardware RT for higher quality. 

It also will still demand a lot out of these consoles and will greatly benefit from pro consoles. Unless people are happy with the performance and Iq of the Matrix demo, then have at it.

• Halal 1

I always appreciate his input since he is an actual developer, but quite transparent in his expectations. 

He does bring an excellent point that some of you already mentioned regarding the PS4, and how the Jag CPU was already quite slow at the time of release. The Pro helped to keep it more relevant, especially when the age of 4k TVs were becoming cheap, and available for most consumers, same with Xbox One X. 

it is a bit different now considering how balanced the hardware is relative to their respective components. One of the things I remember during the PS3 era was this push for much more powerful CPUs, and honestly pretty weak GPUs all things considered. 360 was definitely more balanced between its CPU and GPU, but also had a single pool of memory, whereas PS3 as we all know had split memory between CPU, and GPU, and much greater emphasis on using the Cell Processor. 

With the PS4, that dynamic appear to shift with greater emphasis on the GPU, and less so on the CPU. I recall this is where General Purpose computing was showing up more in GPUs, so the CPU seemed less of an important part of the whole package. I think nowadays, people such as ourselves, plus developers have a much better understanding of bottlenecks within the hardware. 

I'm ready for a ps5 pro. I moved my PS5 out of the home theater and into the game room where I play on a 65" LGCX, but I miss that wall rattling surround sound and the 83" LGC1 immersiveness !! LOL 

Meaning that a second maybe a bit more powerful PS5 has a place if it ever comes to be....

• True 1

21 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm ready for a ps5 pro. I moved my PS5 out of the home theater and into the game room where I play on a 65" LGCX, but I miss that wall rattling surround sound and the 83" LGC1 immersiveness !! LOL 

Meaning that a second maybe a bit more powerful PS5 has a place if it ever comes to be....

Give me a ps5 pro and a port of Alyx and they can hook me in as being my main VR system until the next big leap.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Give me a ps5 pro and a port of Alyx and they can hook me in as being my main VR system until the next big leap.

....and sell it to me @Best Buy as a bundle and I'm all over it. Imagine a PS5Pro, PSVR2 bundle with Half Life Alex!! I have a thousand dollar bill waiting, just give me that chance...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HardAct said:

....and sell it to me @Best Buy as a bundle and I'm all over it. Imagine a PS5Pro, PSVR2 bundle with Half Life Alex!! I have a thousand dollar bill waiting, just give me that chance...lol

Oh man that would be a hell of a bundle ya!