Zero-calorie sweetener linked to heart attack and stroke, study finds

Zaku3

5 hours ago, outsida said:

This is so true. HFCS = Brown sugar = Honey in terms of negative health effects but people keep believing the myth that there is a healthy sugar. 

This isn't entirely true. Everything makes a difference even things as simple as how you cook your food. A raw sweet potato has a low glycemic load (how quickly it's bio-available and enters the blood stream spiking insulin) a cooked sweet potato has a far higher glycemic load and baking it increases that even further than boiling or microwaving it. Part of the reason fiber is important in our diet isn't just to keep bowel movements regular, it also helps slow the breakdown of food and thus lowering glycemic load. 

Like most things, how much this stuff actually matters can vary greatly from person to person

16 hours ago, stepee said:

Please put in disclaimers that coke zero is fine on these articles because finding out that coke zero is no longer okay to drink is what would most likely give me the heart attack 

16 hours ago, stepee said:

it’s so good

Coke Zero? sure, maybe. This “Cole Zero Sugar” they’ve been selling for years, hell no. They ruined that recipe. 

7 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

This isn't entirely true. Everything makes a difference even things as simple as how you cook your food. A raw sweet potato has a low glycemic load (how quickly it's bio-available and enters the blood stream spiking insulin) a cooked sweet potato has a far higher glycemic load and baking it increases that even further than boiling or microwaving it. Part of the reason fiber is important in our diet isn't just to keep bowel movements regular, it also helps slow the breakdown of food and thus lowering glycemic load. 

Like most things, how much this stuff actually matters can vary greatly from person to person

I'm not really sure what your point is.

I don't see a meaningful analogy between sucrose/HFCS, and the glycemic loading you describe.  Does the manner of cooking (along with subsequent cooling) change the glycemic load of a starch?  Yes.  But that (relativistic) effect is common for all, even if there are acute differences in glycemic response from one person to the next.

The initial point that I posted, is that, contrary to what any number of media sources have reported, HFCS is not some nutritional bogeyman to be avoided in favor of a "healthier" alternative like surcrose.  That is a claim perpetuated by (I can only assume) SI who oppose the increasing market share of HFCS, and in fact, based upon current available evidence, there isn't any data to support the notion that HFCS has a greater effect on obesity, diabetes, etc., than sucrose.

Is it possible that HFCS is better (or worse) for some individuals because of some semi-unique allergy or physiological condition?  Of course...but that isn't a legitimate basis for an extrapolated claim of one being better than another because of "health reasons" which are actually limited to a marginal portion of the population.

• Thanks 1

The only sugar I consume outside of food products is a half a teaspoon of refined white sugar in each of my two cups of coffee per day. And sometimes I put honey in my hot tea.

I do not use added sweeteners otherwise. I haven't had sodas of any kind in years. 

I've moved on to sparkling waters to get my carbonated beverage fix. I probably drink about 5-6 a day.

I used to drink that many full sugar sodas back in my teens / early 20s. At some point I switched to diet sodas and then I pretty much gave up all soda for about a 15 years only to recently develop a taste for sparkling water which I currently drink like crazy.