Student attacks teacher after she takes away his Nintendo Switch

Biggie

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What I was most impressed with was the ability of the other personnel to subdue and restrain him without resorting to a high degree of direct force.

Please take note of this, American law enforcement agencies.

Will always remember the time some vacationing Swedish cops broke up a fight on the NYC subway and detained the perp until NYPD and everyone was in disbelief they didn't even bruise the perp.

swedish-cops-on-vacation-schooled-the-ny
WWW.BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM

<b>The Swedish officers, who were vacationing in New York, met with Police Commissioner William Bratton on Friday.</b>

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What I was most impressed with was the ability of the other personnel to subdue and restrain him without resorting to a high degree of direct force.

I mean...yeah?  He did keep going back and getting more hits in on the unconscious woman after the first few attempts at getting him off of her.  Maybe a liiiiiiitle more force was called for here.  Not a *lot*, but...sometimes some added oomph is justified.

• True 2

I mean in this instance that kid deserved to a fucking wrench to the mouth so I'd call this a slight under-utilization of force. Especially as Officer Slow Walk was just casually strolling forward as he watched the unconscious staff member be beaten. He didn't need to be shot to death or kneeled on until he died, but someone should've kicked his crazy ass off her in a few seconds and got him under control far more quickly.

• True 3

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean in this instance that kid deserved to a fucking wrench to the mouth so I'd call this a slight under-utilization of force. Especially as Officer Slow Walk was just casually strolling forward as he watched the unconscious staff member be beaten. He didn't need to be shot to death or kneeled on until he died, but someone should've kicked his crazy ass off her in a few seconds and got him under control far more quickly.

Was that an officer? Just looked like another teacher. Still kinda wild how little urgency he seemed to feel 😂

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Please take note of this, American law enforcement agencies.

It’s almost as if you are more concerned with the safety of the guy wailing on her than the actual innocent teacher lol

• Haha 1

I’m one of the staff members trained in Passive Intervention and Prevention (de-escalation and physical intervention with unsafe behaviour) and it makes me glad that the oldest in school are 11 and I’m by far and away the biggest. This would be a hard situation to manage from any point of view. 

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Will always remember the time some vacationing Swedish cops broke up a fight on the NYC subway and detained the perp until NYPD and everyone was in disbelief they didn't even bruise the perp.

swedish-cops-on-vacation-schooled-the-ny
WWW.BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM

<b>The Swedish officers, who were vacationing in New York, met with Police Commissioner William Bratton on Friday.</b>

Police in other countries may be just as corrupt in other countries. However we can live with unaccountable corruption if it doesn't actually harm anybody. We can't and shouldn't live with a police force that just wanna LARP what if I was the Punisher but I never loved anyone more then myself so I'd rather stand back here and detain parents wanting to go in and save their children. 6D chess move right there.

It is that event and the failures inside rhe school that make me feel unless ur a captialist defending capital or anybody defending private property. Maybe calling the police isn't always a good idea even if you think it might be. Just ya kno figure out if the situation warrents it before calling. Like really think about it. 

I've turn against traditional education not because it'a bad but it's flawed at present. Seems more focus on making you smart enough to be a productive member of society but think it should teach you about alot of things including who you are and who do you want to be. Not as a wage slave to capital but as a human being because that will take care of the productive member part better then just focusing on productive member requirements.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

How do you even fix something like this? He just wouldn't/couldn't stop himself. Pretty soon this kid is going to be out in the real world, well maybe a little longer now, but that's terrifying to think about.

Well hopefully when he attacks one of us or a loved one the police will treat him very gentle. We don’t want him to get hurt. That’s what’s important here. 

2 hours ago, Derek said:

How do you even fix something like this? He just wouldn't/couldn't stop himself. Pretty soon this kid is going to be out in the real world, well maybe a little longer now, but that's terrifying to think about.

There’s a lot to consider here: is this a first instance or a known response, what was the student/teacher relationship, what setting is this school - all that will have guided or will guide the next steps.

None of this excuses the behaviour and it needs acknowledging and dealing with correctly, but, what was the actual context?

Was he using the console during lesson time, reprimanded and acted that way? Did the adult say something derogatory (which does happen), act inappropriately, or handle the initial situation poorly - leading to the emotional outburst?

There’s a reason why in the UK people with special educational needs are supported until they’re 25 as they more than likely need that support (rather than abandon ship at 18).

That was a lot of nothing I admit.

• Halal 2

21 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

There’s a lot to consider here: is this a first instance or a known response, what was the student/teacher relationship, what setting is this school - all that will have guided or will guide the next steps.

None of this excuses the behaviour and it needs acknowledging and dealing with correctly, but, what was the actual context?

Was he using the console during lesson time, reprimanded and acted that way? Did the adult say something derogatory (which does happen), act inappropriately, or handle the initial situation poorly - leading to the emotional outburst?

There’s a reason why in the UK people with special educational needs are supported until they’re 25 as they more than likely need that support (rather than abandon ship at 18).

That was a lot of nothing I admit.

My wife works in special education, so we regularly discuss school situations at home. Your musings on variables in the situation mirror our own discussion on this event. These kinds of behavior don't spring from nowhere  and can often be anticipated and diffused if there is a good understanding of each student student's  school/home influences and cycles by the team of staff that manage them.