Ted Lasso Season 3, to air March 15

14 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Recently watched the first two seasons with my wife. I'm surprised how much I liked it. Is this going to be the last season?

Some talks and rumors point to this being the final season for Ted. That his story will wrap up. There seemed to be the idea floated that some characters could get spin off shows. 

this then has me wondering how season 3 will end if characters can have spin off shows but not involve Ted. Does Ted get a job offer elsewhere and leave? Does Ted and his wife decide to work things out, but he has to go back home? Does Ted lose the struggle to keep a strong front and a smile going and end the show killing himself (I seriously doubt this one)? Maybe something happens to the team and the team gets sold off or dissolved and everyone goes their separate ways. 

I guess we will see. I’d imagine any formal announcement of spin off show won’t happen until after season 3 has concluded. 

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The second season was still entertaining and fun but seemed a lot less focused and unsure of its vibes compared to the first. Looking forward to this in general and curious to see what shakes out of the absolutely moronic decision to make Nate a villain.

What will shake out is a super saccharine reunion/understanding/forgiveness à la Jamie Tart.

26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What will shake out is a super saccharine reunion/understanding/forgiveness à la Jamie Tart.

I’ve got no problem with forgiveness and reconciliation, the good vibes of the show are the main part of the appeal. I still think season 2 spent a whole lot of time setting up Nate as a bad guy but his beef with Ted made so little sense. I appreciate that if you’re going to borderline incel / gamergate him that “sense” kind of goes out the window, but it doesn’t make for a compelling or convincing turn.

We’ll see.

57 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ve got no problem with forgiveness and reconciliation, the good vibes of the show are the main part of the appeal. I still think season 2 spent a whole lot of time setting up Nate as a bad guy but his beef with Ted made so little sense. I appreciate that if you’re going to borderline incel / gamergate him that “sense” kind of goes out the window, but it doesn’t make for a compelling or convincing turn.

We’ll see.

Definitely. It feels like Ted was nothing but good to Nate and even fell on some grenades for him. The turn made 0 sense.

• 4 weeks later...

This was not a great season opener.

The dueling press conferences were not interesting and presented both Ted and Nate in the least interesting way possible. The media's reaction to Ted was bananas; it feels like we're light years away from Ted and Trent going out to dinner together and the latter realizing that Ted's empathy is genuine. Here Ted just seemed unhinged. And while he's always been a folksy and esoteric guy but even he can't be so oblivious that he seems surprised that someone would not be thrilled about photos of the club going into the sewer.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Heel Nate is a bad character, I don’t know why the writers find him so fascinating.

I really do appreciate the show taking swings at / a stance against toxic masculinity, but Nate generally embodies such a milquetoast version of it that it’s hard to take seriously. 

24 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

agreed. Glad to see Trent is back, but not sure about this Zava character

Yeah, Zava may wear thin quickly. I liked the Roy/Trent stuff. I kinda felt like Roy was getting a bit one dimensional at this point, and I think having him be legitimately vulnerable during the scene in the locker room with Trent was a great moment.  

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Better second episode

Yeah agreed. I hope that Zara isn't going to be another Jamie, but I guess we'll see.

Also it remains weird that Ted very clearly loves sports and hasn't like... watched the World Cup at any point or knows who one of the best active players in his sport is? Him "not getting soccer" is pathological at this point, I'm sure he could name the starting 5 of the UConn womens basketball team but he hasn't heard of the show's equivalent of a young Cristiano Ronaldo?

On 3/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I really do appreciate the show taking swings at / a stance against toxic masculinity, but Nate generally embodies such a milquetoast version of it that it’s hard to take seriously. 

I think the fact that he's beta and milquetoast is sort of the point. I think Nate going toxic is one of the better and more realistic plotlines. I've met a lot of Nate's in real life. Also I've always liked Trent Crimm (who once wrote for The Independent!) and him and the Roy stuff was pretty good too. Zava is how some superstar athletes act, so if he isn't annoying initially it wouldn't be true to form.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the fact that he's beta and milquetoast is sort of the point. I think Nate going toxic is one of the better and more realistic plotlines. I've met a lot of Nate's in real life.

I agree that it's the point and that Nates absolutely exist, I just don't think it's a great point. Rupert is Rebecca's foil, but Nate is always going to seem like a paper tiger next to him.

• True 1

I think Nate is the symbol of Ted's emotional regret, not his nemesis. That doesn't mean he should have regret regarding his actions with Nate, but rather that Ted will regret his relationship with Nate simply because while Ted is externally all about "Believe" , he is internal dogged by doubt and fear. 

53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I agree that it's the point and that Nates absolutely exist, I just don't think it's a great point. Rupert is Rebecca's foil, but Nate is always going to seem like a paper tiger next to him.

Some of the point with Nate is Rupert taking things from Rebecca.

Nate is an interesting character but so far he doesn't make interesting TV really. Constantly looking for external validation (and often failing to get it, aside from a brief period from Ted) makes sense as a narrative but it's boring watching him scroll "Twitter" for most of his scenes

• True 1

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, Zava may wear thin quickly. I liked the Roy/Trent stuff. I kinda felt like Roy was getting a bit one dimensional at this point, and I think having him be legitimately vulnerable during the scene in the locker room with Trent was a great moment.  

I always thought that was what Keely and his niece did for his character. Gave him people he could be a person around. 

29 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't get why he and Keeley broke up. Or.. where that's even going. 

I don't think it's meant to be 100% clear yet, but judging by his speech at the end of the episode I'm guessing a large part was Keeley pulled the old 'I'm gonna break up with you before you get the chance to break up with me.' 

• True 1

I mean, for whatever reason, Roy gave Keeley a huge surprise at the end of the second season, a trip for them to go on, and she (somewhat understandably, but also somewhat not), blew that off because her company was just starting (work remote?) and told him to go alone. I mean . . . that's sending a message and this was his response in time.

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, for whatever reason, Roy gave Keeley a huge surprise at the end of the second season, a trip for them to go on, and she (somewhat understandably, but also somewhat not), blew that off because her company was just starting (work remote?) and told him to go alone. I mean . . . that's sending a message and this was his response in time.

work remote for a company she is just getting off the ground? umm no

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The trip was for like a week, it would have been easy to swing. Besides, the sticking point was telling him to go alone, not that she couldn't go. It's a clear pushing away manuever.

If I recall the trip was for a month. But even had it only been for a week, if you are just starting up a company you aren't going to go away. If anything you'll be putting even more time getting it off the ground.