Ted Lasso Season 3, to air March 15

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Here's a deadline article from March that indicates that Season 3 is indeed the end. It doesn't completely close the door, but it seems like Sudeikis is done. I suppose they could keep it going, but a spin-off seems plausible.

Season 4 but it’s just a mashup of Nate getting pepper sprayed as he presents increasingly elaborate paper craft dioramas to women who were mean to him while the Benny Hill theme plays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a fine line between real sweetness and saccharine, and this episode is a lot of the latter. 

Keeley’s arc has been in freefall all season and it feels like it finally cratered. “Watch out for Jack, Keeley! She treats you like Rupert treated me, buying you lots of nice stuff! In completely unrelated news, KJPR is fine because I am rich as well!” Nate shit this season is guilty of being boring, Keeley has been completely kneecapped and it’s a damn shame.

Let’s just not talk about Nate and his girlfriend, Nate-Healer. 

Why is Trent Crimm just.. around? Yes for the book but… why?

This season is meandering and sanctimonious. I feel like in last week’s episode they kind of snitched on themselves. Ted’s giving a speech about how being gay is like cheering for a non local sports team… then he gets called out on it and admits that’s a bad analogy. If the “Ted Lasso way” has become such a part of the team as to render his advice unnecessary, if the best Ted can do for his team is telling them that being in the closet is like eating too much dip by yourself, if Ted’s advice is to be curious but not judgmental in the same season that he isn’t curious enough to know who Zava is or what a friendly is… what are we doing here?

Zava and Shandy are two characters that came in this season, made a bunch of noise for a couple episodes, then bounced. Which is a totally normal thing for a sitcom, but for a one hour dramedy, it’s weird that they didn’t have much impact overall. 

I was half expecting Shandy to start doing PR for Rupert or something dumb like that, but she just seems fully gone. 

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The purpose of both Shandy and Zava were for character growth for other characters. Their story and characters were never important.

Zava didn't move the needle for Jamie compared to previous seasons and Keeley hiring Shandy is one of the many things that has made her regress this season. I know why they were around but neither were interesting.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Zava didn't move the needle for Jamie compared to previous seasons and Keeley hiring Shandy is one of the many things that has made her regress this season. I know why they were around but neither were interesting.

Zava (leaving) made the entire team change tactics to be able to start winning. Shandy showed Keely that business and friendship need to be separate: I'd argue Jack made her regress, not Shandy.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Zava (leaving) made the entire team change tactics to be able to start winning. Shandy showed Keely that business and friendship need to be separate: I'd argue Jack made her regress, not Shandy.

If Shandy showed Keeley that business and friendship need to be separate, it sure seems like she forgot that pretty quick. :p

• Halal 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

If Shandy showed Keeley that business and friendship need to be separate, it sure seems like she forgot that pretty quick. :p

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:vortex:

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes. Hence "the Jack character made her regress" as it threw out the developments from Shandy.

She shouldn't have had to learn anything from Shandy to begin with. Keeley from the first two seasons was not a moron but she's been so stupid for all of this one. Hiring an obviously incompetent friend is bad, not having any idea who's behind your funding is bad, fucking your bankroller is bad, having your best friend warn you about the potential toxicity of wealth and its impact on relationships / having a sugar mama then having that same bestie unironically drop millions to bail out your company is bad. It's all bad!

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It’s ok to have a friend bankroll your business, as long as they’re a good friend. 

I mean sure, but that also goes against the whole reason Keeley decided to branch out in season 2! Her whole thing this season is 3, 4 steps forward... sure. But she took 10 back before that.

Also I said I wasn't going to talk about the Nate stuff but... come on. Turns out bad dad was just ill equipped to handle Nate's genius! BOO. Nate has yet to have a single, meaningful conversation with Jade, about whom we still know essentially nothing (she read a book!), who the show shipped off so that Nate could pout at home, for whom Nate has "changed?" Nate was never going to be a "villain" but he WAS an asshole last season! What has he actually learned in this one?

Which is super annoying because the show absolutely knows how to do this and did it well for the better part of two seasons. It did it with Rebecca and her relationships with Ted, the team, and Keeley, with Jamie and his dad and with Roy. If Phoebe told Roy that Jamie was his best friend without the whole rest of the show actually setting that up, it wouldn't have landed. Ted was resistant to therapy and opening up, did the work, and it's made him better, he'd have handled shit with his wife much differently at the start of season 2 compared to partway through season 3.

Meanwhile Nate gets a girlfriend we know nothing about and... reception arc! It's so sloppy. Yes, Nate apologized to will. But Nate's never been dumb, he knew what he did was wrong. So... why?

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

She shouldn't have had to learn anything from Shandy to begin with. Keeley from the first two seasons was not a moron but she's been so stupid for all of this one. Hiring an obviously incompetent friend is bad, not having any idea who's behind your funding is bad, fucking your bankroller is bad, having your best friend warn you about the potential toxicity of wealth and its impact on relationships / having a sugar mama then having that same bestie unironically drop millions to bail out your company is bad. It's all bad!

Keely saw an old friend who did the same modeling stuff she used to, took pity, thought she’d be good in a role at her new company thinking that Shandy would be like herself, and was wrong. Shandy didn’t immediately show herself to be incompetent, Keely hired her off the suggestion that was made by Shandy on set which saved time and money. Keely then didn’t know how to handle removing Shandy as it’s a former friend and she didn’t know how to be “just business” and remove the caring part of her personality.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was this a season finale or SERIES finale? It wasn't good as either... still love the show though.

Neither, I think there are 12 episodes this season and that was 10

Lately this show is making me miss season 2 of Ted Lasso because that still felt like Ted Lasso most of the time. The show just isn't as funny or as interesting anymore. I know it's been more of a dramedy these past two seasons with hour long episode run times but a lot of this feels rushed or unearned. The show works better as a comedy and all the saccharine BS is cringey, not sweet. That speech Rebecca gave in last week's episode about "football isn't just a game" was about as bad as the episode where a dude sings Hey Jude while the song is being explained to Ted's son in literal fashion while making it obvious that it's something the son can directly relate to. There have been a lot of hard eye rolls by me this season when watching.

I've said since mid season 2 that the show was better before it got all the acclaim and the team decided to change genres. I still find it enjoyable most weeks, but I am not at all sad to see it coming to an end. If I ever rewatch any of it, it will probably season 1 and done for me.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I've said since mid season 2 that the show was better before it got all the acclaim and the team decided to change genres. I still find it enjoyable most weeks, but I am not at all sad to see it coming to an end. If I ever rewatch any of it, it will probably season 1 and done for me.

Yeah, agreed. I enjoyed a good bit of season 2 but it's a definite step down. Season 3, when it focuses on the ensemble and the comedy that made season 1 great, it clicks but so much of the season is just wasting time with characters each silo'ed off in their own, often dramatic subplots. I do think that it should end this season, but I feel like they've been cagey about confirming that.

You know Jamie’s friends said all sorts of nasty things about his mom growing up. Nobody wants to have the hot mom.

LOL at Roy’s “one for the road?”

Sudekis kinda fumbled the big emotional scene with Ted’s mom. Really weird performance for me there and a good example of why I think the show got worse when they genre-shifted. The whole cast is much better at comedy.

I’m glad to send these characters off into the sunset next week.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, sblfilms said:

absolutely agree. Honestly, regardless of what he meant it should not be this much of a question since the implications of both are dramatically different. One of actually pretty sweet, the other is possibly (probably!) criminal given the last way we see Rebecca prior to that conversation. 

So, my wife and I were pretty far behind, but got mostly caught up on Ted Lasso this weekend. 

I'd been really curious to watch this episode to see what happened to generate this line of discussion.  

I was a bit taken aback when the episode closed after he said "we did", but when I asked my wife, she, without any hesitation, said that her feeling was that "we did" was referencing a deeper and more profound connection formed during the night.  She didn't have any impression that they'd had sex.

I thought it was interesting, after seeing the discussion here.

Man I dunno.

The good parts of this episode are the show at its best. It's heartfelt, earnest, and sweet. It embraces doing the work as being as important as the work ever being done. It's a really lovely ode to positive masculinity. They kept the Believe sign! The team staged a musical number!

But there's just so much bag fumbling, too.

The Roy / Keeley / Jamie love triangle is so played and in an episode that resolves plots at a breakneck pace at the end is completely unnecessary. The "swerve" of Ted waking up at Rebecca's place is such an obvious and dumb red herring. We established that Rebecca doesn't care about Rupert winning anymore, why waste time grinding him into the dirt in this episode? Why bother showing us that Dr Jacob sucks and can't be bothered trying to be interested in what his partner and her son are watching? 

Again and for the last time, everything to do with Nate this season absolutely stunk up the joint. He's just... better now! And Jade is perfect! We spent SO MUCH TIME on this plot over two whole seasons of TV and there's so little to show for it. The fact that eventual reconciliation with Ted happened isn't the issue; Ted has forgiven greater sins. We hear in this episode that trying to be better and trying to change is the thing that matters. But we never see that with Nate! He just got a date with Jade and he's better? He owed Keeley a much bigger apology than he owed Ted and that's just ignored.

And nothing that this show did over its three year run justifies an "is it a dream sequence?" montage like what we got here. That's such a silly, silly thing for the show to do. Just... why?

It's been a wild season 2 and 3. The vibes of this show are truly lovely, it's just a shame that that so much surrounding them weren't up to the same level of quality.

EDIT - I try not to bag on CGI shots especially in COVID times., but the Stonehenge shot in this episode was legitimately terrible looking.

• True 2

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I fell asleep in the middle of the finale and I wasn’t really tired/10

Oh well, I’ll always have season one to enjoy

I feel like there’s a really compelling season 2 - 3 if you clipped a lot of the fluff and condensed it. There is some really good stuff in both season it’s just spread too thin.

• True 1
  • Halal 1