Ted Lasso Season 3, to air March 15

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

You can have an easy, breezy, fun, ensemble cast kind of a show. You can do the dramedy thing. You can do this all at once. But you can't waffle and this show as of season 2 is a whole damn Waffle House.

The hardest thing this show has asked any of its characters to do is Ted dealing with his shit. And the way that he rejects toxic masculinity, the way that he's emotionally intelligent, the way that he's navigated his relationship with his wife and their former counselor has all been really lovely to see. But it makes the rest of the stuff seem dull next to that shine.

It's a high class issue to have but it's still an issue.

Something like what happened with Roy last week is the most interesting this show has been this season outside of Ted's personal life. Roy has grown and matured since the first season to a great degree. His relationships with Ted and Keely are in no small part responsible for that. But he still can't help himself when he's talking to her and trying to be supportive. That 45 seconds in the most recent episode where he realizes he fucked up and it hurt Keely and he knows it and he went from trying to be supportive of her to looking to get forgiveness FROM her... that's really interesting! Best intentions and growth vs. instinct and immaturity, wanting to support a friend but still feeling entitled to the shit you gave up when you stopped being their partner. There's actually STUFF there! That one scene has been more interesting than literally everything to do with Nate in the last two seasons.

I feel bad for the actor who plays Nate because it’s not his fault but I hate seeing his face now 

I thought this weeks episode was better. I really prefer when the show focus is on the team, and not all these relationships people have outside of the team

I relate to the story of the closeted player. Reminds how there are people who still refuse to interact with me after I came out as trans. Sad there are still such close minded people running around. Maybe these people need to learn a lesson from Ted Lasso.

I’m through episode 7. Two of the better back to back episodes in the series for me. The Amesterdam episode was just so fantastic all around. I get the keeley stuff, I have zero interest in that. I think she suffers away from Roy and Jamie. But Nate I don’t mind. I don’t hate this little mini redemption arc. I don’t think it’s weird the hostess likes him. She’s literally the only character that’s seen every side of Nate. I think she saw through him when he was being a douche bag because that’s what he thought confidence was. It’s certainly not the most finely crafted arc in tv history but I’m enjoying the message they’re getting across through him. 

• Halal 1

I think @Kal-El814’s notion that Nate was stalking Jade is honestly a little odd. I could be forgetting things, but he just seems like a person lacking in confidence to actually follow through with a proper introduction and conversation with a woman he finds attractive. He wants to do it a bunch of times, but freezes up. It’s less creepy to me and more pitiful. But again, I find his storyline mostly boring so I could be forgetting something where he went beyond just being a dork.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think @Kal-El814’s notion that Nate was stalking Jade is honestly a little odd. I could be forgetting things, but he just seems like a person lacking in confidence to actually follow through with a proper introduction and conversation with a woman he finds attractive. He wants to do it a bunch of times, but freezes up. It’s less creepy to me and more pitiful. But again, I find his storyline mostly boring so I could be forgetting something where he went beyond just being a dork.

I think the line between "being a dork" and "being a creep" can be razor thin. Having a dude routinely show up at your work before you're in a relationship with them is absolutely something women complain about. We know Nate and his intentions so it's "fine" but showing up to someone's job with a diorama to ask them out on a first date is absolutely bananas.

It'd be different if we had any insight into Jade's interest in him beyond a moment of pity after his date bailed on him, and again, he wouldn't be the first or millionth man to misread a friendly gesture as a green light.

Nate's not a creep for being shy and working his way up to asking her out with a grand, yet awkward gesture. He would crossover into creepiness if he asked her out, she said no and he kept showing up at her job anyway. THAT'S a stalker/creep. 

Am I the only one that sensed a vibe between Jade and Rupert though or am I reading too much into that? Also at what point does Rupert totally turn on Nate? We know that Nate has daddy issues and he's now projecting those onto Rupert but how does that turn out? Thsi was definitely a return to form episode for me. 

Also is Rebecca the milfiest milf that ever milfed? :drool:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Am I the only one that sensed a vibe between Jade and Rupert though or am I reading too much into that?

I thought she realized he sucks, and he realized she knew it too.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nate's not a creep for being shy and working his way up to asking her out with a grand, yet awkward gesture. He would crossover into creepiness if he asked her out, she said no and he kept showing up at her job anyway. THAT'S a stalker/creep. 

Am I the only one that sensed a vibe between Jade and Rupert though or am I reading too much into that? Also at what point does Rupert totally turn on Nate? We know that Nate has daddy issues and he's now projecting those onto Rupert but how does that turn out? Thsi was definitely a return to form episode for me. 

Also is Rebecca the milfiest milf that ever milfed? :drool:

Rupert didn't like Jade because he sees her as beneath his league and she's not the type of low status woman he wants his top people associated with. Nate realized he was trying to get him to cheat on her so he could break up the relationship and bailed on the guys out. I think Rupert is going to turn on and boot Nate. Likely Rupert's ego makes his team lose their WonderKID coach.

• True 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Rupert didn't like Jade because she sees her as beneath his league and she's not the type of low status woman he wants his top people associated with. Nate realized he was trying to get him to cheat on her so he could break up the relationship and bailed on the guys out. I think Rupert is going to turn on and boot Nate. Likely Rupert's ego makes his team lose their WonderKID coach.

I don't think that's it. Rebecca was a hostess when she met Rupert. I don't think he has a problem "messing with the help".

It's maybe a huge stretch but anti-Polish sentiment is pretty big in the sphere of UK politics that Rupert probably represents. Upon meeting Jade he immediately and uncomfortably identifies her as Polish, and his coldness towards her might just be xenophobia.

• Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Moa said:

It's maybe a huge stretch but anti-Polish sentiment is pretty big in the sphere of UK politics that Rupert probably represents. Upon meeting Jade he immediately and uncomfortably identifies her as Polish, and his coldness towards her might just be xenophobia.

Wouldn't he be racist towards Nate too though?

On 5/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

A dude that is repeatedly outside a woman's work before the place opens when they have no established relationship outside one shared baklava is absolutely creep behavior. It'd be one thing if he was also there for breakfast or something, but he's not. The only reason it doesn't fully come off that way is that we're supposed to be rooting for Nate. 

I probably wouldn't be as hung up on this if the show did ANYTHING to show us why or how Nate is growing. We see it with Roy, we see it with Ted, we see it with Jamie, etc. Nate spent season 2 as a self loathing asshole who couldn't get the girl and now... he got the girl? So he's better? Again for a show that has handled more complicated stuff better than this, it's weird that we're spending so much time with a character and arc that's just so undercooked.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:41 PM, Moa said:

I don’t expect the show to go this deep into the UK social political climate, but they had that bit earlier regarding immigrants and the restaurant getting trashed so who knows. 

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wouldn't he be racist towards Nate too though?

It’s more xenophobia than racism; anti-immigrant, and Nate isn’t an immigrant afaik.

When Nate said this is the best baklava, he won her heart. That baklava is made by Jade every morning at 5am using her great great grandmother’s recipe. Complimenting a family recipe is the ultimate cheat code in Eastern Europe. Nate just stumbled upon it. 

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

A dude that is repeatedly outside a woman's work before the place opens when they have no established relationship outside one shared baklava is absolutely creep behavior. It'd be one thing if he was also there for breakfast or something, but he's not. The only reason it doesn't fully come off that way is that we're supposed to be rooting for Nate. 

I probably wouldn't be as hung up on this if the show did ANYTHING to show us why or how Nate is growing. We see it with Roy, we see it with Ted, we see it with Jamie, etc. Nate spent season 2 as a self loathing asshole who couldn't get the girl and now... he got the girl? So he's better? Again for a show that has handled more complicated stuff better than this, it's weird that we're spending so much time with a character and arc that's just so undercooked.

Dude, he's a shy unconfident guy trying to work up the courage to go and talk to a girl that he clearly thinks is out of his league. Any body who's ever been a teenaged boy can relate to this and that's what the show was going for. Now if he was outside with a camera taking pictures of her while tugging on his dick I would see your point. But eventually he did work up the courage to talk to her and they hit it off, mostly out of her feeling sorry for him initially when that model chick ran out on him. 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s more xenophobia than racism; anti-immigrant, and Nate isn’t an immigrant afaik.

Nate may not be an immigrant but he's at best second generation. Do Euro-nationalists make a distinction? Like would a second generation, native-born brown person be considered better than an immigrant white person over there? I honestly don't know. And did I miss the part when they said Jade was an immigrant?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude, he's a shy unconfident guy trying to work up the courage to go and talk to a girl that he clearly thinks is out of his league. Any body who's ever been a teenaged boy can relate to this and that's what the show was going for. Now if he was outside with a camera taking pictures of her will tugging on his dick I would see your point. But eventually he did work up the courage to talk to her and they hit it off, mostly out of her feeling sorry for him initially. 

The fact that it’s relatable is bad! Dudes shouldn’t hang outside the job of their crush when they have no relationship! If you have a crush, just ask! If you don’t have the guts, work up to it while not just standing outside her job! I too was a coward when I was younger and asked someone to a dance through her friend, I’m not unfamiliar with being afraid to approach someone I have a crush on. But if I’d driven my car to her job and just hung out there it’d have been weird, her parents would have been right to tell me to fuck off. This isn’t that different, there are so many ways to have shown that Nate is actually a nice and respectful guy, this show missed the layup.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

The fact that it’s relatable is bad! Dudes shouldn’t hang outside the job of their crush when they have no relationship! If you have a crush, just ask! If you don’t have the guts, work up to it while not just standing outside her job! I too was a coward when I was younger and asked someone to a dance through her friend, I’m not unfamiliar with being afraid to approach someone I have a crush on. But if I’d driven my car to her job and just hung out there it’d have been weird, her parents would have been right to tell me to fuck off. This isn’t that different, there are so many ways to have shown that Nate is actually a nice and respectful guy, this show missed the layup.

But he eventually DOES talk to her and asks her out. If the whole show was him going past this girl's job and staring at her through the window, then yeah you'd be right. That's not what happened here. I'll agree to disagree and move on.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do Euro-nationalists make a distinction? Like would a second generation, native-born brown person be considered better than an immigrant white person over there?

I believe so, yes. Look at Brexit as an example. "Non-citizens are coming here and bankrupting NHS!"

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And did I miss the part when they said Jade was an immigrant?

I think it's an assumption based on her having a Polish accent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I showed my wife your post and she was like…what sort of weird stuff was your friend doing as a young man that made him read this completely harmless situation as creepy 😂

Sorry Kal, YOU’RE ON A LIST NOW

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I showed my wife your post and she was like…what sort of weird stuff was your friend doing as a young man that made him read this completely harmless situation as creepy 😂

Damn, I thought I was the only one thinking this :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The weird stuff I was doing was having mostly female friends from grade to grad school who have almost all had at least one Nate Shelley in their lives they they had to tell to fuck off after saying no to being asked out multiple times, being told they picked their major so they’d be in classes together / went to the same college so they could go to college together, showed up at their work work, found them waiting outside their apartment building, heard they liked peach Snapple and then the guy showed up at work the next day with a bouquet of flowers and peach Snapples, etc. 

22 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

All of these words, in the order that you placed them, have formed an impressively bad opinion.  

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, SuperSpreader said:

Rupert didn't like Jade because he sees her as beneath his league and she's not the type of low status woman he wants his top people associated with. Nate realized he was trying to get him to cheat on her so he could break up the relationship and bailed on the guys out. I think Rupert is going to turn on and boot Nate. Likely Rupert's ego makes his team lose their WonderKID coach.

Yeah, as soon as I saw Rupert's reaction to Jade's work I feel like the whole arc became evident. Rupert will get weirdly hung up about this, resulting in Nate leaving, and probably coming back to Richmond, possibly to replace Lasso who goes back home to his kid.

• Halal 1