PC Community Thread

stepee

After being very happy with the Shield T7 for external game storage on my desktop and laptop, I went with a 4tb Shield T9 for more storage. It’s the same thing except it’s 2000mbps now and I think even better ruggedness. Definitely fine for pretty much any game at that speed - tested Rachet on it and of course ran with no issues.

I’m glad we have suitable external drives now as I really prefer the ease of use of just stacking more of them. 15tb total for storage on the desktop now!

12 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Would you guys suggest a cooling pad for the laptop because this one does get warm. I currently have one of these that I put it on ATM.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lapgear-ergo-pro-adjustable-lap-desk-for-15-6-laptop-or-tablet-black/6437333.p?skuId=6437333

if you can swing the extra cost, grab this one. I tried a few and this was the only one that made a difference on my Alienware M15 R7

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: IETS GT500 Powerful Turbo-Fan (5000 RPM) RGB Laptop Cooling Pad with Infinitely Variable Speed,Seal Foam for Rapid Cooling Gaming Laptop,13-17.3inch Laptop Cooler with 3-Port USB Hub : Electronics

• Thanks 1

TSMC founder and industry icon Morris Chang says that customers have approached him to build up to ten new fabs for AI processors, an incredible request that speaks to an insatiable demand. The request isn't entirely surprising, as the demand for processors used for AI applications is booming, and it is well known that market leader Nvidia cannot satisfy it. Meanwhile, the amount of AI compute performance available to companies like OpenAI appears insufficient, which is why companies are demanding more processors from existing suppliers, and some are even planning to build their own silicon.

So that's around $5 billion to $15 billion or even higher per fab. So that's a LOT of money if I understand it correctly. $50-150 billion or more.

whats the uninstaller program that reeeeaaaalllly uninstalls apps? 

I still cant get this logitech G hub to load with windows even after a reinstall. i believe i used to use revo uninstaller, but i thought there was like 2 programs to use. 

WCCFTECH.COM

The latest information suggests Apple has already started development of chips based on TSMC's 2nm architecture for future products.

Other than 2nm chips, it was also previously noted that the company has also begun work on 1.4nm chips, which will be available in 2027. Apple has been approaching TSMC to reserve a share of the 1.4nm and 1nm chips as well. As mentioned, the performance and efficiency of the chip are inversely proportional to the nanometer count. This means that the company's development of 2nm chips will feature enhanced computational and graphical performance with lower power consumption.

Apple is expected to use 2nm chips in 2025 for iPhones and Macs. If the news has any heft, the technology could be part of the A19 chips and M4 chips. As for performance gains, we are expecting a 10 to 15 percent increase with 25 to 30 percent lower power consumption.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Spork3245 What would you suggest for expanding storage because I only have 412 GB available.

ROG.ASUS.COM

When you finally buy that perfect laptop, you want it to last as long as possible—and upgrades allow you to stretch its lifespan laptop further.

Your other option is an external USB-C SSD.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm still trying to get used to typing on a laptop, which seems more difficult compared to what I remember on a PC. It seems like it will select the text while typing something and erase everything I typed.

Getting used to not brushing the palms of your hands on the mousepad takes some getting used to.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Spork3245 What would you suggest for expanding storage because I only have 412 GB available.

I didn’t want to open my laptop so I just put a t7 shield 4tb connected to my laptop and it works great. I also use a t7 for extended storage on my desktop and added a t9 last week which is twice as fast but you pay extra for that model. I’m pretty happy with them.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:06 AM, atom631 said:

if you can swing the extra cost, grab this one. I tried a few and this was the only one that made a difference on my Alienware M15 R7

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: IETS GT500 Powerful Turbo-Fan (5000 RPM) RGB Laptop Cooling Pad with Infinitely Variable Speed,Seal Foam for Rapid Cooling Gaming Laptop,13-17.3inch Laptop Cooler with 3-Port USB Hub : Electronics

I ended up getting that one so thank you for the suggestion!

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I didn’t want to open my laptop so I just put a t7 shield 4tb connected to my laptop and it works great. I also use a t7 for extended storage on my desktop and added a t9 last week which is twice as fast but you pay extra for that model. I’m pretty happy with them.

That sounds like what I would like to get because I wouldn't want to open mine either.

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Unfortunately, it only has one slot. 

If your laptop has a thunderbolt connection, you can get an external (thunderbolt) housing for an m.2 and put an m.2 of your choice in it. If you don’t have a thunderbolt connection you can get a usb gen 3 one (thunderbolt is a usb connector but faster). Other option would be to get an external SSD like what Stepee has recommended, but, again, make sure it’s at minimum USB3 speeds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If your laptop has a thunderbolt connection, you can get an external (thunderbolt) housing for an m.2 and put an m.2 of your choice in it. If you don’t have a thunderbolt connection you can get a usb gen 3 one (thunderbolt is a usb connector but faster). Other option would be to get an external SSD like what Stepee has recommended.

I don't believe it has a thunderbolt connection.

19 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I don't believe it has a thunderbolt connection.

I just checked the specs, it has USB4 which is basically the same as Thunderbolt(4) (only difference, afaik, is that Thunderbolt has higher power delivery, but bandwidth is the same).

• Thanks 1