PC Community Thread

stepee

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Slower but definitely good enough and will save you money:

https://a.co/d/jm8ae4t

EDIT: yea, this would be better, I don’t think there’d really be any noticeable difference in load times by going for the m.2 + enclosure in most games. I’m not sure if direct storage can be used via usb in the handful of games that support it, so in those instances just use your internal.

• Like 1

@Remarkableriots  Fundamentally, it all depends on how you use your laptop.  If you actually use your laptop like a laptop, where you are using it in a bunch of environments - I would personally replace the internal SSD with a 4TB one.

If you use it like a desktop, and don't move it around.  A USB enclosure would probably be fine.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

@Remarkableriots  Fundamentally, it all depends on how you use your laptop.  If you actually use your laptop like a laptop, where you are using it in a bunch of environments - I would personally replace the internal SSD with a 4TB one.

If you use it like a desktop, and don't move it around.  A USB enclosure would probably be fine.

I just use it like a desktop on the couch and I'm using that while my mom watches TV.

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Slower but definitely good enough and will save you money:

https://a.co/d/jm8ae4t

EDIT: yea, this would be better, I don’t think there’d really be any noticeable difference in load times by going for the m.2 + enclosure in most games. I’m not sure if direct storage can be used via usb in the handful of games that support it, so in those instances just use your internal.

I'll probably go with that and thank you!

This is @Mr.Vic20 next big purchase!

It only costs $380 million!

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Video shows the machine going from cargo plane, to truck, to its home in Intel’s Oregon fab.

• Hype 1

what are you guys running for audio? 

I picked up a Monolith Liquid Spark Amp (was on sale for $32!) and paired it with a SMSL SU-1 DAC. The whole setup was just over $100 bux and sounds 10000 times better than any gAmING headset. They are powering my very old Senheisser HD558s (modded to 559s). For mic I have an OG modmic but I hate the clutter with their very non-flexible cord. I was thinking of going with a desktop mic like the Audio-Technica ATR2100x. 

Im also leaning towards new cans. I hear the Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro X are aboslutely amazing for gaming. Might give them a try. 

Just now, atom631 said:

what are you guys running for audio? 

I picked up a Monolith Liquid Spark Amp (was on sale for $32!) and paired it with a SMSL SU-1 DAC. They are powering my very old Senheisser HD558s (modded to 559s). For mic I have an OG modmic but I hate the clutter with their very non-flexible cord. I was thinking of going with a desktop mic like the Audio-Technica ATR2100x. 

Im also leaning towards new cans. I hear the Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro X are aboslutely amazing for gaming. Might give them a try. 

I am using:
Fosi Audio K5 Pro Gaming DAC Headphone Amplifier

EPOS H6Pro Open Headset

10 minutes ago, atom631 said:

hows the mic quality? 

For a gaming headset, it seems very good.  I've had a few comments on how clear I sound.

You're not going to mistake it for a $500 Shure microphone, but I don't think you'd expect that in a headset at this price.

28 minutes ago, atom631 said:

which are those? what mic do you use with them? 

I got them at Walmart  OneOdio Wired Over-Ear Headphones with Mic | Noise Cancelling Earcups & Studio DJ Headphones with Dual Ports for Computer-Black. I use the mic in the DualSense controller but I almost never use it anyway.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I got them at Walmart  OneOdio Wired Over-Ear Headphones with Mic | Noise Cancelling Earcups & Studio DJ Headphones with Dual Ports for Computer-Black. I use the mic in the DualSense controller but I almost never use it anyway.

nice. I have a bunch of hearing loss from 4 punctured eardrums and 30+ years of metal shows. I was never able to plug headphones into a controller and be able to hear them well. 

the Amp made a huge difference. where I had my HD558s on max volume when plugged into the line out on the mobo, now im maybe at 50-60% and thats with low gain. 

• Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, atom631 said:

nice. I have a bunch of hearing loss from 4 punctured eardrums and 30+ years of metal shows. I was never able to plug headphones into a controller and be able to hear them well. 

the Amp made a huge difference. where I had my HD558s on max volume when plugged into the line out on the mobo, now im maybe at 50-60% and thats with low gain. 

That's good that it helps you!

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Are those beta drivers live in the next standard release? 

RTX HDR is in the standard drivers, the ability to turn it on is not.   Nvidia has not indicated that they plan on adding this functionality to the Control Panel. 
Right now the beta Nvidia app has the ability to turn it on - no release date for the non-beta version has been announced. 

• Halal 1

Just now, atom631 said:

are you guys running the new Nvidia app? I know its in beta, but Ive heard its pretty stable and now the control panel and GE are combined, which is nice. 

It was giving me crashes in Robocop, so I reinstalled GeForce Experience.

• Halal 1

ok, bc I cant control myself, I ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro x headphones last night and they arrived today. Holy mother of God....what a difference. Ive tried so far in BF2042 and Helldivers 2 and Im hearing new sounds that I havent heard before. I can place footsteps in the exact direction they are coming from now so far off it feels like Im cheating. I just went 34/8 in a BF2042 match of Redacted and I swear its bc I could hear so much more than before. The HD558s were damn good, but this is another level. 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It was giving me crashes in Robocop, so I reinstalled GeForce Experience.

Bummer. I will wait until the full release then. Im still ironing out the kinks of this system and I dont want to throw a wrench into it. 

10 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Bummer. I will wait until the full release then. Im still ironing out the kinks of this system and I dont want to throw a wrench into it. 

It doesn't take long to uninstall one, and reinstall the other.  I may move back to the Nvidia App now that I am done Robocop.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It doesn't take long to uninstall one, and reinstall the other.  I may move back to the Nvidia App now that I am done Robocop.

was Robocop any good? 

I have fond memories of hitting Time Out in the mall and playing the Arcade Robocop back in the day. Ill always remember the first time fighting Ed-209. 

26 minutes ago, atom631 said:

was Robocop any good? 

I have fond memories of hitting Time Out in the mall and playing the Arcade Robocop back in the day. Ill always remember the first time fighting Ed-209. 

I would give it a solid 7/10 -- a solid AA game.

A mixture of good and bad game design.  However, I thoroughly enjoyed the first person shooting levels (even if they weren't very difficult). 

Graphics were a mixed bag, with the lighting, destruction and reflections looking very good.  The character models and animations were pretty bad.

@stepee really liked it as well -- your thoughts?

37 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would give it a solid 7/10 -- a solid AA game.

A mixture of good and bad game design.  However, I thoroughly enjoyed the first person shooting levels (even if they weren't very difficult). 

Graphics were a mixed bag, with the lighting, destruction and reflections looking very good.  The character models and animations were pretty bad.

@stepee really liked it as well -- your thoughts?

I think I liked it a bit more, I think I’d give it an 8 or 8.5/10. I think the story was also good as far as being a better sequel to Robocop than the franchise has had up until now. It actually kind of made me more of a fan of Robocop. 

Some of the hub area stuff, mostly finding the traffic violations which could have used better direction, can drag a bit, but I think it’s important to add some depth to the overall experience. The shooting levels are the highlight for sure and they are most of what the game is, so that works. 

I’d actually say overall it’s a great looking game, the budget shows with the character models and animations but when you are playing the core game it’s the lighting and environmental detail that stands out. 

I also think it’s paced very well and is the perfect game length for what it is.

Also it crashed for me when I had rtss running so I wonder if that is related to the new nvidia app crashing it. The game was a little crashy/buggy for me in general playing it around launch, not sure if that’s improved or not, but that’s actually my biggest issue I had with it.

• Halal 1